Looking for Bigfoot owners - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #1

Name: Gary & Sonja
Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot B17G
California
Registry
Looking for Bigfoot owners

Having now had my BF on a few trips there are some things that I would like to ask owners who have specific experience with them. Especially if you have restored/repaired yours.

Thanks,

Gary
Pomfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Just ask, remember these trailers are more alike than different. Other than the body, frame and interior cabinetry... someone else manufacturers everything... from windows to appliances and on and on.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #3

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
The only two things I've done with my 1991 is change the brakes to never adjust Dexter and install air conditioning which met having to upgrade the power supply from 15 amp service to 30 amp.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I don't know much about Bigfoot Trailers. Have owned a 83 BF17G, 95 BF17CB, 2005 BF21FB, 2007 BF21RB, 1988 BFTW20 5th wheel, 2001 BF21RB.
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #5

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
We've done a long list of changes to our Bigfoot. The major items include air conditioning, floors, gray water tank, tires ,battery, upholstery, awning, miniblinds, solid spare tire cover, water pump, LED exterior lights, thermostat, sewer hose, and tongue jack. And, dozens of minor changes have been added to our trailer. There is still a big list of future projects.

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=P1010227.jpg
Old 09-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #6

Name: Lonny
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21FB
British Columbia
Hello Gary,

We have bought a 1993 Bigfoot B17CB and have done a lot of work to restore it. Still have more on the go but would be happy to share anything with you!

We are really happy with how well everything has worked out with ours.
lonnyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #7

Name: Michael
Trailer: 17ft Bigfoot trailer
British Columbia
Hi Pomfritz,

We have an 86' 17ft BF and love it. Thus far I've replaced the subfloor and roof vents/caps. I'll be laying some Allure flooring soon and then try to get out a few more times before it gets chilly.
This site is an absolutely wonderful resource and cool community. I'm learning as well but post some questions and I (or others) will try to help. Cheers!
Bluebamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:10 AM   #8

Name: Ken
Trailer: 84BigFoot 5th 2002 travelaire 5th wheel
Alaska
Registry
Gary,We have a 84 Bigfoot 5thwheel that is a mess! We have taken it on as a total rebuild project. I cant tell you anything about useing a Bigfoot but this is a great place for info & like you Im learning with each post I read. Ken
Ken Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #9

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Hi Gary,
I just purchased a 17 foot B17 SM Deluxe TT and will be starting restoration soon. There is dry rot under a few windows, so plan on removing all the windows, replacing the ruined panels, apply butyl tape on the windows & reinstall. Then I will update the cabinets and will paint all the inside, as well as outside. The gray holding tank is cracked so will have a plastic shop weld a piece of polyprolene on and hope it holds. This week will take it into my local RV dealer to have all the propane certified as I want to be safe. Great winter project and will probably be on line often to get additional info from all. Regards, Jim from Vancouver Island, British Columbia
jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #10

California
Registry
Thanks for all the replies! I must have missed them earlier.

I am planning in putting in a propane detector. Seems like the only decent place is under the dinette, next to the converter. Anyone else install one of these?

Also, I want to permanantly install some stabilizers, thinking of using the drop down ones. Looks like I have easy mounting and access on three spots. The one I have a question on is the rear driver side where the waste gates are. That seems to take up any decent mount/access space. I don't want to mount it on the bumper, which is very beefy for clearance reasons. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Gary
Old 09-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #11

British Columbia
Gary, Is there wiring under the dinette where you can tie in? I can't see it in my rig. I can't answer your stabilizer question, though.
Also I am interested in painting the interior, but have not seen too many units painted, so really would be interested in seeing some pics. An exterior acrylic latex would seem the best, although rust paint could also be used. Any suggestions?
Old 09-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #12

California
Registry
No wires readily apparent. I may have run then a ways towards the fridge. Main thing for that location is room to mount it
Old 09-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #13

California
Registry
Regarding painting interior.
May want to search for threads with this in subject. I've seen some pics and would like to change interior color down the road. I prefer wood and wonder how difficult it might be to reface the walls.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #14

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomfritz View Post
Regarding painting interior.
May want to search for threads with this in subject. I've seen some pics and would like to change interior color down the road. I prefer wood and wonder how difficult it might be to reface the walls.
The interior has a lot of holes where things were hung, but the main reason for painting is that there is water damage under 3 windows and the panelling is flaking off. I plan on removing the windows, putting butyl tape on, putting new panelling on the flaked off places, and then will have to paint the interior. I have read on the forum that one has to be careful in choosing a filler for holes, and the type suggested is caulking with elastic properties and not silicone.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #15

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
We have a 1987 17' Bigfoot. We put a propane detector under the dinette (and I think it may also be a carbon monoxide detector too? I'd have to go out and look at it). We replaced the main roof vent with a Fantastic Fan and also put a larger vent in the bathroom (also with a fantastic fan). We replaced the hot water heater which was all corroded and starting to leak. My husband took the door off and took it apart and replaced some wooden framing bits that were rotten and now the door fits, opens and locks a lot better. We want to redo the striping and add solar panels sometime in the near future. We also had the wheel bearings repacked and the propane system pressure tested for leaks. We thought about painting the interior but kinda like the original woodwork which is in pretty decent shape.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #16

British Columbia
Evergreengirl: How do you find wires to hook up your peopane detector under the dinette as well as the fantastic fan in the ceiling.
I took the rig into the dealer to have all appliances checked and everything works, thank goodness, with no leaks.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #17

Washington
Registry
The detector is on the vertical "wall" of the dinette seat on the driver's side. I think there's some electrical stuff under that dinette seat so that's why the detector was placed there, for ease of installation. My husband also added a separate 30 amp circuit with an outlet there so that we can plug in an electric heater or my hair dryer without tripping the circuit breaker. We had the shop do the detector work as well as the installation of the fans, so I'm not sure about the particulars, but I'll ask hubby and get back to you. He'll know more.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #18

Washington
Registry
OK, so here's a bit more info. The detector is a combo CO and propane detector and is hardwired into the converter which is under the driver's side dinette bench. The outlet hubby installed is 15 amps, not 30 amps. The Fantastic Fan in the main quarters is surfaced wired from a ceiling light. For the one in the bathroom the shop tapped into the bathroom light fixture.

Tags
bigfoot