Looking for fuses in a Trillium 4500 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2020, 02:09 PM   #1

Name: Vic
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Looking for fuses in a Trillium 4500

I recently acquired a 1980 Trillium 4500 that I'm trying to restore.
None of the lights work and I can't find a fuse.
The little green owners manual says there is ' fuse located in the front storage compartment where the wiring harness enters'.
I can't find any fuses there. I tried plugging the trailer into 110V via the connection wire outside the trailer beside the front door.
Still nothing.
Need to find fuses.
I tried to include a pic here (of the storage compartment that the Owners Manual says the fuse is in) as an Attachment. Don't know if it worked.
Any suggestions?
(Also can't get the fridge working but one thing at a time)
Vic Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 02:52 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
In my 1978 Trillium 4500, there is an original power center (converter) below the closet and original furnace. This power center has a round 15 amp AC circuit breaker and a round 10 amp DC circuit breaker. It also has a switch for flipping between battery power and shore power. Inside the unit is a transformer for converting 110 VAC power to 12 VDC power.

When I bought the trailer, nothing in the power center worked. I replaced both the AC and DC circuit breaker, as well as the transformer.

Also, there is a black fuse holder in the wire bundle under the front bench.

EDIT: Now everything works. So in summary, my Trillium 4500 has only 1 AC circuit breaker, 1 DC circuit breaker and 1 DC inline fuse.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:44 PM   #3

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post

Also, there is a black fuse holder in the wire bundle under the front bench.
In my 1978 those black fuseholders are on the 12v power in line (also black) so lights would only be affected if trying them off 12v. Not clear to me if that's the case here-?
O.P.:
If power source is 120v shorepower they won't work unless there's a converter AND its switch is set to shorepower. "By the door" location of the 120v outlet plug isn't factory so suggests to me it's an add on having nothing to do with the 12v lights inside- the original shorepower connection is on the drivers side and it goes directly to an interior circuit breaker, thence to the converter and 120 outlets.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:21 PM   #4

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
Back when I originally bought my Boler, there was a Pony box installed for the AC and nothing for 12V. I’m lucky to have a marine supplier in Ottawa who is knowledgeable and helpful. I still have the pony box because it works and my motto is deal with the major issues, so I added a lovely ac to 12V converter with a great little 12V fuse panel to protect all the 12V components. I love shopping there rather than the RV dealerships.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:24 PM   #5

Michigan
Registry
Hi Francesca. Hmm. My stock 1978 Trillium 4500 is different than yours. The shorepower cord port is on the door side, to the left of the door and the furnace vent. My still stock converter is located below the furnace which is below closet just inside the door to the left.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:36 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
Hi Francesca. Hmm. My stock 1978 Trillium 4500 is different than yours. The shorepower cord port is on the door side, to the left of the door and the furnace vent. My still stock converter is located below the furnace which is below closet just inside the door to the left.
VERY interesting- so is the cord stowed inside and fed out from there? And where's the circuit breaker? On mine it's built in to the drivers side bench.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:26 PM   #7

Michigan
Registry
The 110 VAC (15 amp) cord is stowed inside and fed out through the cord port to shore power. There is only one 110 VAC circuit breaker, and its on the left front of the converter panel. The 12 VDC circuit breaker is on the right front of the converter panel. Here's a pic of the converter:
Attached Thumbnails
trillium4500converter.jpg  
Old 05-18-2020, 06:58 PM   #8

Registry
My converter's identical to yours John, same place too. Trailer also came equipped with a separate regular breaker box with a plain old 15amp breaker in it, it's installed on the drivers side bench corner and all 120volt power comes thru there. I thought that was standard but guess not.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:07 PM   #9

Michigan
Registry
My shore power cord is wired directly into the power converter. All 110 VAC circuits (3 outlets incl. fridge outlet), as well as all 12 VDC circuits (light receptacles and 12 VDC fridge circuit) originate at the power converter.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:26 PM   #10

Registry
Trillium must have been offering specific trim packages/optional add ons etc, on mine the space where your cord is stored is filled by a nifty little tipout bin that I keep some basic grab-n-go tools in. Another place they evidently sometimes fed power thru is the front wall, on mine there's a decal there that says "AC power only" and there's not even a port cut there lol.
Speaking of options, mine lacked a pretty critical one - when I got it ten or so years ago it had never had an onboard battery, can you believe it?

Tags
trillium