Looking for Hehr window for entry door. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2015, 03:29 PM   #1

Trailer: Trail Michigante
Looking for Hehr window for entry door.

Help! Does anybody have one of these old Hehr windows for sale? They were common on early Bolers and such -- our beloved 1972 Trailmite has a broken one. I've tried all of the usual sources and no one has a direct replacement. The best I've been able to find is a non-opening model from Pelland (a Hehr dealer) for $375. Ouch!

The hole in the door that the window mounts into is 6.25" x 17.75".
Vic&Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 03:37 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You might try some of the parts sources on "Tin Can Tourists" and the othe Canned Ham rebuilders sites. The "Canned Ham Man" in Riverside, CA might be another source, they have a web site.

But what's "Broken"

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 03:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
You might try some of the parts sources on "Tin Can Tourists" and the othe Canned Ham rebuilders sites. The "Canned Ham Man" in Riverside, CA might be another source, they have a web site.

But what's "Broken"
I tried all of those.

The prop-rod that opens the window and holds it up came unattached during a trip last summer. Then the outer frame and window slid out of the frame and fell out while the trailer was being towed.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:55 PM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Scamp sells 11" x18" opening windows. I was told these are hehr windows. They won't match the original and would require some creative installation but as a last resort? Raz

http://www.scamptrailers.com/parts-s...w/windows.html
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Scamp sells an 8" x11" fixed and 11" x18" opening windows. I was told these are hehr windows. They won't match the original and would require some creative installation but as a last resort? Raz

http://www.scamptrailers.com/parts-s...w/windows.html
Yeah, saw those. I'd rather not have to reconfigure the door. The 11x18 would work with some cutting and fiberglass work.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:09 PM   #6
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic&Kathy View Post
Yeah, saw those. I'd rather not have to reconfigure the door. The 11x18 would work with some cutting and fiberglass work.
Might call Vintage trailer.

Vintage Trailer Supply - parts and supplies for vintage travel trailers and campers!
Old 12-16-2015, 05:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Yup, tried them too. Though I did buy some of their "eyebrows" to put over the side windows. They do a great job of keeping the tracks from filling up with water in a driving rain.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:21 PM   #8

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Tracking down trailer junkyards (yes they exist) is worth the trouble. Some trailer dealers will have their own junk pile out back -- where they put special order windows a buyer stiffed them for. I have bought Hehr windows on eBay for peanuts. Not always lucky to find the exact fit but you could get close enough.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:38 PM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
I have one, took it out of my Boler door and glassed over the opening...PM me if you are interested in it. I also have the fiberglass dinette fixtures, lower bunk fixture, closet and the door handle.
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
I have one, took it out of my Boler door and glassed over the opening...PM me if you are interested in it. I also have the fiberglass dinette fixtures, lower bunk fixture, closet and the door handle.
Awesome! Will PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:44 AM   #11

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
If it is only the glass take it

Quote:

Help! Does anybody have one of these old Hehr windows for sale? They were common on early Bolers and such -- our beloved 1972 Trailmite has a broken one. I've tried all of the usual sources and no one has a direct replacement. The best I've been able to find is a non-opening model from Pelland (a Hehr dealer) for $375. Ouch!

The hole in the door that the window mounts into is 6.25" x 17.75".
a glass shop they can replace the glass and if the Aluminium shop is near by with an Aluminium welder he can fix that part. Anything can be fixed if you have some or all the parts.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
a glass shop they can replace the glass and if the Aluminium shop is near by with an Aluminium welder he can fix that part. Anything can be fixed if you have some or all the parts.
Stude
The whole outer piece fell off somewhere on California Highway 299.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:26 AM   #13

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
now that is what I call a lack of Mtnce of Unit

Quote:
The whole outer piece fell off somewhere on California Highway 299.
I check our MH out every year and sometimes more than once as I cannot afford breakdowns on the road 3000 miles from no where.
Take your picture to a good quality glass shop that can make anything from scratch, I'm sure they can build u a new unit and if costs more then you think it should then maybe from now on you will start to do Mtnce on it. If you got up there on a step ladder this would of not happened as you would of seen the problem.
Just like us the back window started leaking and it is a large window, thankfully we caught it in time and took it into a RV shop where they have the NO on how to fix it right, when the window was out, there was no more sticky in a good portion of it so they did a up front job and no more leaks, also had them look at the 2nd door by driver as the rivets kept falling out and from the beginning it was a very poor job they fixed it to and the total was less than $300.
Another are that can have problems with water is leading edges if one checks windows all the time for holes or cracked sealer the it is time to remove the window and re-seal them all or very 2 years re-do and not water leakage.
I'm sorry if I sound harsh but I see so many units that are not maintained properly!
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:31 AM   #14

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
A great source to find them is your local wrecking.junk yard. Phone first and ask if they have any old rvs. If they have anything from the 70's or early 80's, you are pretty much guaranteed it will have some of those small windows somewhere on it. Bring a drill in case you have to drill out some rivets yourself.
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:40 AM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Have you tried RV Dr. George? Located in Sacramento.

RV Doctor George - Home
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:39 PM   #16

Thanks to everyone for their input. I'd already tried the salvage route without success. The only off-the-shelf windows I could find were slightly too big and would have necessitated some creative fiberglass work and internal framing work in the door; which while I'm capable of doing I'd rather not have to. I've had good experiences over the years with FGRV folks here helping and this time was no exception ---- JohnnyM came to the rescue with the exact size I needed. He shipped it to me and charged me a very reasonable price for window. The one he sent is actually a better version --- the window is held up by a crank mechanism instead of the push-through prop that failed on the one I had. I'm in the process of polishing it up and will install it this weekend.

To Stude. Yeah, harsh. This 43 year old Trailmite is one that has received countless hours of work that I’ve done myself, including a frame-off session in which the frame was rewelded, strengthened and painted, the subfloor was replaced (marine plywood), the fiberglass shell’s cracks were repaired and the whole shebang was made tight and leak-free. I’ve also rewired the whole thing, installed a Fantastic Fan (great upgrade!), installed an air-conditioner, replaced the stove-hood, installed a sound system, replaced the cabinet doors, constructed a slide-out platform on the bed that allows us to sleep lengthwise instead of widthwise, installed new linoleum, welded on a tongue platform to accommodate a triangular tongue box, replaced the running lights and tail-lights with LED’s and oh yes, painted her inside and out. We use our Trailmite extensively. It’s been across the US and back three times and has made countless trips all over California, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Arizona and Utah. I use it many nights a year in my profession (nearly 90 nights in 2010!). So your suggestion that I have “neglected” our Trailmite is puzzling and saddening.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:53 PM   #17
Raz

Pictures are always welcome. Raz