Looking for Help Moving my New Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2011, 02:05 PM   #1

Name: Judy
Trailer: 2001 Scamp
California
Looking for Help Moving my New Scamp

Hi all! I'm new to this forum but have been lurking on it for a few months. I have wanted a fiberglass trailer for years. When I saw the posting for this Scamp I thought, this is my opportunity! After a few frantic emails on Sunday and a sleepless night last night, I got up at the crack of dawn and called the dealership. I am the new owner of this trailer!!
I will have many questions once we get that baby out here to Ca. Which brings up the question, any suggestions on the best way to transport the trailer 2000 miles? The dealer gave me a couple names of extremely nice people who are thinking about how they might be able to assist me. Also, he gave me the number for Horizon Transport. We would rather not make the drive (this time of year) and have a young son in school. Not in a big hurry except that we are sooooo excited!!
Thanks in advance! Judy
JudyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Try this YT Hauling Schedule: All
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #3

California
Thank you! Will check it out.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:05 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Hi Judy,

I split your moving help post out from the Classifieds thread which I closed as sold. Glad you found your new wheels & good luck getting them home!

Regards,

Matt
Old 03-07-2011, 03:30 PM   #5

California
Thank you Matt!
Just an addition to the original post. We are looking to get the trailer pretty much anywhere...Colorado would be great. Just closer to Ca.

Thanks!!! Judy
Old 03-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I was just up there and checked out that Scamp. It does not have a sold sign on it and it is unlocked so I snooped around. It has shelves in the closet, has a couple of plastic bins in the lower closet. The bath area is weird in the fact that it is tiled with a drain plug for a shower. However I saw no actual shower, just a sink. There is a porta potty under the bench and a shelf above the top bunk. It looks very nice. I did NOT look under the bed to see how the storage area there is. There were a couple of nice throw rugs. The fridge looks good. The only real major thing I saw was it needs a cleaning where the burners are. Has 2 propane tanks.
You got a nice looking camper!!!!! Now to get it to you is the question.
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #7

Name: Julie & Terry
Trailer: 2019 GoBE; Former Scamp owner; 2005 & 2014 Jeeps
Minnesota
Thumbs up

We concur on the Yesterdays Tractors hauling possibilities. I've used it a number of times and it's always worked out well
Biggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #8

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karalyn View Post
I was just up there and checked out that Scamp. It does not have a sold sign on it and it is unlocked so I snooped around. It has shelves in the closet, has a couple of plastic bins in the lower closet. The bath area is weird in the fact that it is tiled with a drain plug for a shower. However I saw no actual shower, just a sink. There is a porta potty under the bench and a shelf above the top bunk. It looks very nice. I did NOT look under the bed to see how the storage area there is. There were a couple of nice throw rugs. The fridge looks good. The only real major thing I saw was it needs a cleaning where the burners are. Has 2 propane tanks.
You got a nice looking camper!!!!! Now to get it to you is the question.
Wow, thanks for the update! I wish I could just run over and take a peek!! I paid for 1/2 on a credit card (that's all they allow) and mailed the other part via Priority Mail, that might be why no "SOLD" sign. I hope!
I am wondering if the previous owner tried to add the bathroom? I didn't actually want the bathroom. We will see when we get it what we need to do to make it functional either with or without the bath.
Thanks for the vicarious peek!
Old 03-07-2011, 06:32 PM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
We concur on the Yesterdays Tractors hauling possibilities. I've used it a number of times and it's always worked out well
Have you had a travel trailer moved by anyone on the site?
Old 03-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #10

Name: Julie & Terry
Trailer: 2019 GoBE; Former Scamp owner; 2005 & 2014 Jeeps
Minnesota
No. It has always been Jeeps, but a couple were non-functioning. It shouldn't be that much different than a trailer. Biggest difference is two wheels instead of four which presents some unique issues. Perhaps the RV dealer can park the camper on the transporter's trailer. You may want to check on that.
Biggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #11

California
Lots to think about. I am hoping that someone pops up and says they would love to pull it to Colo. I am not in a big hurry. (excited!! but, no real hurry)

Thank you for your original post which led me to my new Scamp! This is a great site and I will donate once I have my Scamp in my hot little hands!
Old 03-07-2011, 09:18 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Not 2000 miles

It's not 2000 miles, only 1979 miles. Practically next door. LOL

Not a bad drive in good weather, but this time of year? Have to allow plenty of time for delays.

Congratulations! I remember the excitement.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #13

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 16 ft Custom Deluxe Deluxe Side Dinette
Registry
Judy, try www.uship.com. You can post the address for pick up and the address for delivery and companies will bid on the hauling job. I have customers that use it all of the time. Actually I have a lady in Santa Cruz Claifornia that is having a camper hauled from my location in Kentucky to her in Santa Cruz by a company she hired fron u-ship.com. You will get several bids and all bidders have user ratings from past customers. That way you can feel comfortable with who ever you hire and also get refrences. Good luck with the Scamp, it looked like a nice one.
Mark Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
I can vouch for Uship, it is a easy method to get prices. You still are at the mercy of the shipper as Uship is just a clearing house. I have used them to secure a shipper and I think I saved thousands. Being flexible is key and it is important to list your shipment several times about a month apart. You are looking for a back haul and they come and go thus necessiting several tries.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #15

California
Funny thing, I didn't notice Mark's post from last night untill just now. I was literally filling out the Uship form and had a moment of panic and exited the site. It's nerve racking to think of someone else man-handling my little trailer! Nice to have the input from folks who have used them and feel comfortable recommending them. I will go back and fill out the form again. Thank you-Thank you.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #16

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Shaffer View Post
Judy, try www.uship.com. You can post the address for pick up and the address for delivery and companies will bid on the hauling job. I have customers that use it all of the time. Actually I have a lady in Santa Cruz Claifornia that is having a camper hauled from my location in Kentucky to her in Santa Cruz by a company she hired fron u-ship.com. You will get several bids and all bidders have user ratings from past customers. That way you can feel comfortable with who ever you hire and also get refrences. Good luck with the Scamp, it looked like a nice one.
That's great information! Do you have any idea what she is being charged? How big is the trailer she is shipping?
Old 03-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyL View Post
That's great information! Do you have any idea what she is being charged? How big is the trailer she is shipping?

I am not sure of the price, but the camper is 27' long, so I am not sure that her price would compare.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:57 AM   #18

California
Question-I signed up for the Uship. I was hoping to get the trailer brought out in a closed or flatbed trailer. Would anyone trust someone from this site to pull a trailer across the country? The dealer said the trailer was in towable shape. The previous owners have been using it...thoughts?
Old 03-09-2011, 10:04 AM   #19

Registry
The dealer that has the camper is capable of making sure the trailer is towable. You will have a hard time finding a carrier to load that camper in an enclosed trailer. Possably on a flat bed, but I would just have them tow it on its wheels. As far as the trust issue, just make sure that your chosen carrier carries insurance and has a few references. Most transport companies on U-ship are professional companies and do this type of thing for a living. They don't want to have any incidents with your camper any more than you do. When you get bids, you can ask the transporter any and all questions you may have prior to agreeing on their price. I am sure that you will find a reputable carrier and everything will be just fine.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:09 AM   #20

California
I did get a quote for a flatbed haul, was quite pricey. I will sign up again asking for towing and see what I get. Thanks for the encouragement!

Tags
scamp