Looking for inexpensive Anti Theft Tricks for Camper trailer ideas - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-09-2018, 07:20 PM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Storey View Post
Hi , We own a 4500 Trillium Series with electric brakes and 12 v battery locked inside a wooden box bolted down to the frame on front of trailer . I have installed a gps tracking device in a hidden area of trailer for security .
Now there is a tariff on steel and aluminium , the price of camper trailers will probably increase by 10 to 25 per cent in price there will probably be more thefts .

I was wondering if it would be a neat trick if I hook up my electric breakaway pull pin cable for the trailer brakes under the trailer , tied to a heavy duty stake pounded good into the ground so it could not be seen and if the trailer was pulled by a vehicle it would lock up the brakes to slow them down .
So...with the already imposed 270% Canadian tariff on American milk products, what do you put on your breakfast cereal? ...Beer?... guess you'll now have enough aluminum for the cans at least?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:24 PM   #22

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
[QUOTE=hrewer;700595]
Quote:
I have installed a gps tracking device in a hidden area of trailer for security .

Where do you find a gps tracking device? Could be a good idea.
one common one is Spot, most frequently used by extreme/adventure travelers...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:29 PM   #23

Registry
[QUOTE=hrewer;700595]
Quote:
I have installed a gps tracking device in a hidden area of trailer for security .

There must be an app for that! How about one of those door bell things rigged to call your phone if the trailer door is opened?
How about a camera app on the tongue which could read the plate of the tow vehicle or see the person hooking up?
How about just leave one of your phones with the tracking app, plugged into a charger hidden in the trailer while you are out?
You could not only track it if it moved but you could check on it as often as you like or even get pinged at regular intervals to report its location.

How about a charged Model A coil wired to the tongue?
Old 06-09-2018, 07:36 PM   #24

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
So...with the already imposed 270% Canadian tariff on American milk products, what do you put on your breakfast cereal? ...Beer?... guess you'll now have enough aluminum for the cans at least?
We were in Manitoba last week on a fishing trip and beer was $55 a case so it’s not the answer
When we go fishing up north we bring powdered milk for our cereal in order to keep costs down .
There are ways around any tariff
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:50 PM   #25

Name: Daryl
Trailer: Boler
MANITOBA
[QUOTE=hrewer;700595]
Quote:

Interested in this information also. Do you need to purchase a monitoring plan with it or will it be accesable to an app on your phone?
liteweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:51 PM   #26

Mid Left Coast
any GPS tracking device has to have a data uplink. typically they use low speed satellite signaling, or have a cellular phone connection, either of these requires a paid service plan just to get the data out there.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:52 AM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
any GPS tracking device has to have a data uplink. typically they use low speed satellite signaling, or have a cellular phone connection, either of these requires a paid service plan just to get the data out there.
True , but who doesn't have a cell phone nowadays?
Old 06-10-2018, 11:18 AM   #28

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
True , but who doesn't have a cell phone nowadays?
you're going to leave your cellphone hidden in the trailer at all times ? huh.

separate phone == separate contract (or extra $$ on a family plan). and, cellular is sketchy in rural canyons, heavy forests, etc.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:15 PM   #29

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Cell phone-GPS technology is definitely used in small tracking devices. One I am familiar with is triggered to start by motion. Let's not get more specific here. Quite a few of us may be riff-raff.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:55 PM   #30

Name: Daryl
Trailer: Boler
MANITOBA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Cell phone-GPS technology is definitely used in small tracking devices. One I am familiar with is triggered to start by motion. Let's not get more specific here. Quite a few of us may be riff-raff.
That is zactly what I am hoping can be purchased. A small GPS device that can be hidden and will transmit its location to your cell phone.
What are some of the brand names of these devices. I just want simple amd easy with no plans or contracts to have to purchase.
liteweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:15 PM   #31

Denver, CO
The specialty devices I know of are used for theft tracking of small items. Once triggered, they use a cell phone to transmit their GPS location to a website map.

I suggest a web search. I see a lot of small satellite ones, where the monthly fee of $20 is almost as much as the $25 device. I agree cell network signals are best near cities.

This seems to be an example:
http://www.spytecinc.com/gl-200-real...-tracker.html?
Old 06-10-2018, 07:32 PM   #32

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by liteweight View Post
That is zactly what I am hoping can be purchased. A small GPS device that can be hidden and will transmit its location to your cell phone.
What are some of the brand names of these devices. I just want simple amd easy with no plans or contracts to have to purchase.
they will need a cell phone contract to send data to the internet, and on to your cell phone.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:50 PM   #33

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Right now I don't have the hitch on my trailer locked but I know the wasps have built a nest under it. Since I don't plan to use the trailer for another month I figure I will enjoy the free security service. Then I will have to spray real kill under there the day before I hook up.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:28 PM   #34

Denver, CO
No problem

At WalMart TracPhone is $6.66/mo.

Elsewhere, just put it on a TracPhone no contract plan. $20 for 90 days & 120 minutes, or
$80/yr. You will not use those minutes, if only when tracking theft.

There are many others here:
Walmart Tracfone Plans
Old 06-10-2018, 09:16 PM   #35

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
At WalMart TracPhone is $6.66/mo.

Elsewhere, just put it on a TracPhone no contract plan. $20 for 90 days & 120 minutes, or
$80/yr. You will not use those minutes, if only when tracking theft.

There are many others here:
Walmart Tracfone Plans
does that plan have data ? don't need alot of data, but thats how it communicates, tcp/ip to the internet...
Old 06-10-2018, 09:28 PM   #36

Denver, CO
Trac phones do have data capability. Some older model phones may not.

Please don't buy everything based on my posts. I'm checking websites I believe to be reliable.

For example, they say you can bring your own phone, I assume that includes a GPS tracking phone that rarely transmits.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:02 AM   #37

NW Wisconsin
My trailer is securely fastened to a tree in my yard with a piece of 1/2” rope and a hatchet knot . I have not experienced a trailer theft using this method in over 5 years of ownership . My method is acceptable to my insurance company requires no special equipment , service contracts , or having to own a cell phone .
The rope is cheap , easy to operate , works in all weather conditions and I have never lost signal .
I use the same method with my pontoon boat . It too is securely and safely fastened to my dock with 1/2 “ rope sans the hatchet knot .
Old 06-11-2018, 07:26 AM   #38

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My trailer is securely fastened to a tree in my yard with a piece of 1/2” rope and a hatchet knot . ..
Why?
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:35 AM   #39

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Why?
My driveway has a steep downhill slant and my grandkids removed my wheel chocks one time while playing . They have not learned yet how to untie my hatchet knot .
I am a big fan of simpicity and not much of a fan of complicated electronics
Old 06-14-2018, 09:40 PM   #40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
you're going to leave your cellphone hidden in the trailer at all times ? huh.

separate phone == separate contract (or extra $$ on a family plan). and, cellular is sketchy in rural canyons, heavy forests, etc.
No, but then I am not concerned about theft.

If I were, I could leave my phone when leaving the campground and still use my wife's phone to monitor it and to make or take calls as needed.

I haven't really yet developed "separation anxiety" when I get more than a few feet from my phone!

Actually, I saw this as an occasional solution for those occasions when you feel a wave of paranoia, or camp in a high crime area.

You could just leave the TV on loud playing a copy of "Scarface"!

We like to put the sign below in the window or just leave our kitten in charge!
Attached Thumbnails
police-cartoon.png  
Attached Images