Looking for opinions on 2 vastly different trailers - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2020, 08:51 PM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
... I've got a couple 4WD PU's that I could put a truck camper upon however all the truck campers I like are pop-tops like Four Wheel Campers FWC that are also expensive even when old, used and abused.

heh, we were looking at 4WC and also larger truck campers, even big cab-over Lances, ... and after looking at a bunch, we decided to go Casita instead, then upgraded to an Escape.

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 10:48 PM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: Compact 2
California
Compact 2

The compact for sure. I have a 73 compact two and done many of the things you’re considering. I fliped the axle, put 14 inch aluminum rims on, Redid much of the cabinetry for added storage and convenience. 12 v Compressor refrigerator, I redid the pop up to include screaned opening windows and support for 200 amp solar panel —- I Spun the toilet 90° To add more storage. I added LED lights , USB outlets, 110 outlet‘s, 12v outlets, replaced old foam in cushions. Led taillights, wave3 heater. I just replaced the wheel bearings though the old ones look perfectly fine. My wife and I have enjoyed the compact for 8 years, put on close to 20,000 mi and would be in it now if we weren’t on home in place. The trailer goes with ease, and we have done a lot of four wheel driving in the south west. Good luck with this project I’m having a lot of fun with mine. Mike
Mike Steffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 11:03 PM   #23

Trailer: Compact 2
California
The compact for sure. I have a 73 compact two and done many of the things you’re considering. I fliped the axle, put 14 inch aluminum rims on, Redid much of the cabinetry for added storage and convenience. 12 v Compressor refrigerator, I redid the pop up to include screaned opening windows and support for 200 amp solar panel —- I Spun the toilet 90° To add more storage. I added LED lights , USB outlets, 110 outlet‘s, 12v outlets, replaced old foam in cushions. Led taillights, wave3 heater. I just replaced the wheel bearings though the old ones look perfectly fine. My wife and I have enjoyed the compact for 8 years, put on close to 20,000 mi and would be in it now if we weren’t on home in place. The trailer goes with ease, and we have done a lot of four wheel driving in the south west. Good luck with this project I’m having a lot of fun with mine. Mike
Mike Steffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:25 AM   #24

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Something like the GoBe would be plug-n-play, but if you are looking for a project I would go with the Compact Jr. for reasons that have already been stated.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:18 AM   #25

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
As stated in my post I am certainly leaning towards the Compact II for this type of build. All the other fiberglass trailers I have owned (Uhaul CT13 and VT16, Boler, Casita and Amerigo) just did not lend themselves to my vision of what I want. The convenience of the rear entrance on the Compact II AND the Pop-Top are huge factors for me that make this trailer the best of the "Vintage" fiberglass shell trailers for the type of SMALL lightweight trailer I envision.

Fortunately for me my daughter is a professional welder/fabricator so with either trailer modification and upgrade of the chassis or other structural metal aspects of each trailer will be easy and a necessary modification for long term structural integrity.

Unfortunately I am not a woodworker. I do have several friends who are that can fabricate the new interior "guts" if you will from the patterns of cabinetry within both trailers and/or make the needed interior modifications to make thes trailers ready for 21st century camping!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:26 AM   #26

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
The "Gobe" camper is interesting as it is similar in style to a couple of other trailers I have considered. One of those trailers is a "Pelsue" made in Colorado.

Pelsue trailers are heavy duty commercial trailers made for the telecommunications industry. Met those folks several years ago at the NATDA national convention is Nashville. Great family owned business that make a very well built trailer with an off-road option. Expensive for one of their trailers as a shell? Yes! Well built and ready to modify the interior? Yes! I have toured the Pelsue facility to see their process and was very impressed with the quality of the chassis and shell of their fiberglass telecommunications cable splice trailers. One of the single wheel trailers would work well and be "Overkill" in the heavy duty department!

https://pelsue.com/

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 01:02 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Poor little trailer...
Attached Images

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 02:23 PM   #28

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
The "Gobe" camper is interesting as it is similar in style to a couple of other trailers I have considered. One of those trailers is a "Pelsue" made in Colorado.

Pelsue trailers are heavy duty commercial trailers made for the telecommunications industry. Met those folks several years ago at the NATDA national convention is Nashville. Great family owned business that make a very well built trailer with an off-road option. Expensive for one of their trailers as a shell? Yes! Well built and ready to modify the interior? Yes! I have toured the Pelsue facility to see their process and was very impressed with the quality of the chassis and shell of their fiberglass telecommunications cable splice trailers. One of the single wheel trailers would work well and be "Overkill" in the heavy duty department!

https://pelsue.com/
Yes, the GoBe uses the same molds as the Little Joe (also made in Colorado by Weiscraft) which got them from Lite House in New Mexico which were made back in the mid-90s.

You are not the first to remark that they look similar to the Pelsue trailer.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 02:27 PM   #29

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carlson View Post
Yes, the GoBe uses the same molds as the Little Joe (also made in Colorado by Weiscraft) which got them from Lite House in New Mexico which were made back in the mid-90s.

You are not the first to remark that they look similar to the Pelsue trailer.

As an owner of a little joe( Weiscraft)
I cannot say enough about the quality and design
My wife and I love ours and tow it easily w/ 2dr Jeep Wrangler
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 02:52 PM   #30

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Poor little trailer...
Ouch! Where did you find that gif?
Old 04-16-2020, 04:21 PM   #31

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walter View Post
The Pucks frame would have to be beefed up to do what you want but there are a couple of examples that I've found on the web to give you some ideas. The links show a dark green Puck that has been modified and towed all over Europe and North Africa. There is a picture of it below.

I also have some pictures of an early 1990's Puck that was transplanted onto a galvanized motorcycle trailer by a guy in Germany - sort of what I may eventually do with mine.

https://www.unpaved.de/eriba-puck-offroad-anhaenger/

https://www.unpaved.de/offroad-puck-leben-2/

Send me a PM as I've owned three Eriba travel trailers - 2 Pucks and a Triton and am a bit of a nut about them. I tow them with an old Land Rover Defender diesel so I understand exactly what you are looking for.

The bottom link ( offroad-puck-leben-2 ) has links to other interesting camping and off road sites. Lots of smaller units available in Europe. I enjoy wandering around campgrounds there--but check with office first.

David in Fresno and Sonora, CA.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 05:22 PM   #32

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Ouch! Where did you find that gif?
I downloaded it years ago but don't know the origin. The file is named topgear_teardrop.gif, but I don't know if that's the actual source.

Old 04-16-2020, 06:41 PM   #33

Trailer: Boler
I think the Hunter would make an excellent choice for what you are planning to do and it's much roomier than a Puck. I pretty much use my Puck to sleep in and keep my clothes and gear dry. The light weight works well with my 4 cylinder Land Rovers and it's narrow width ( same as the Rovers) makes it very easy to tow. My favorite feature is the pop up roof which the Hunter has as well. The Hunter will be much easier to modify than the Puck and probably more livable when it's done.

I've had a Boler and a UHaul so I'm very familiar with those and if I had to choose a second choice (because Eribas are just so cool) it would probably be a Hunter.
Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:55 AM   #34

Trailer: Miti Lite 1987
Rough roads cause normal screws to pull out of fiberglass and widen the holes. One can imagine the off pavement disasters possible.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 11:41 AM   #35

Name: Bill
Trailer: Eriba
Washington
I own an Eriba Puck & an Eriba Pan. Both seem like paved-roads-only trailers to me. I've even thought that they wouldn't be compatible with a trip behind my CRV down the Baja, if that gives you an idea. Too many gravel roads.

I will say that it might have more to do with my considering that they are both precious museum pieces, not to be molested. ;-)
billnieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 05:07 PM   #36

Name: Neville
Trailer: Trails West Campster
Ida Home
Quote:
I have the opportunity to purchase 2 vastly different trailers for my Off-Road/Overlanding adventures. Both are small, light, pop-top trailers 1200 lbs or less.

Trailer 1 is a 1974 Hunter Compact II Fiberglass shell camper trailer. Nice solid frame and shell. Really needs complete interior redo and the canvas on the pop-top. Axle flip at a minimum and most likely a new axle and coupler designed for better off-road articulation.

Trailer 2 is a Very Desirable late 1960's Eriba Puk Pop-Top steel tube shell with aluminum skin trailer. Very lightweight at 900 lbs and also much more fragile than the Hunter Compact II! Once again this trailer will also need complete interior, pop-top canvas redo and axle change just like trailer 1. This Eriba Puk trailer is TWICE THE PRICE of the Hunter Compact II.

I lean towards the Hunter Compact II due to the rear door entrance and large front sleeping area. I "Like" the Eriba Puk due to the rarity and collectibility of the trailer when redone.

I look forward to your responses!

I think you should buy the Eriba. Just watched the North Africa video. I did Paris to Tamanrasset via Hoggar Mts in a VW bug in 1982. ANY trailer that could make that type of trip would be top of my list.
Of course it would be nice if you passed on the Hunter owners contact info
Villen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 05:10 PM   #37

Ida Home
Is this for real?

This is off subject except is is a trailer for sale. Battle Creek MI has a Casita 16' for sale. Not sure if I believe the ad.

https://www.shoppok.com/battlecreek/...le----4500.htm
Old 04-22-2020, 05:35 PM   #38

Ida Home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walter View Post
Towing an Eriba Puck around North Africa

https://youtu.be/IWOQCgnM1Us

Watched some of the video. Will watch it all later. I have traveled similar areas in Morocco and Algeria. If the Eriba handles that, it gets my vote.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:18 PM   #39

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villen View Post
This is off subject except is is a trailer for sale. Battle Creek MI has a Casita 16' for sale. Not sure if I believe the ad.

https://www.shoppok.com/battlecreek/...le----4500.htm
It's best to start a new thread for something like this.

That picture shows up on several different web pages; the listing looks like it's probably a scam.

Old 04-22-2020, 06:58 PM   #40

Name: ROY AND BETH
Trailer: BIGFOOT 21 FB
Florida
Registry
Bigfoot 21fb
nefldiver is offline   Reply With Quote