Lots of Questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2015, 10:48 AM   #1

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Scamp
Northern California
Lots of Questions

Hello, I have lots of questions. Any feedback would be awesome

1) Trailer oxidation removal and wax: I have read that some people do not care to wax or shine their exteriors at all, some do the floor polish thing with good results and others use a normal or marine wax. Our Scamp is definitely oxidized and I would like to do something about it. I was looking up a product on Amazon today that I think I am going to order. It is called Meguiar's M4965 Marine/RV Fiberglass Restoration System. Has anyone used it on their oxidized egg with success?

2) How long until the battery goes dead?It sounds like a 5 gallon propane bottle will last for several days even when cooking, running the fridge, and even the heater on cold nights. I am more worried about the electrical system. We have some sort of Charger doohicky installed in the trailer, but we just got this thing so have not played with things much. The trailer's battery charges while we are going down the road with the Tow Rig plug hooked to to the trailer right? When we get to our campsite, is it realistic to be able to go about 3 days with just running a light or two, using the water pump to do dishes, and using the blower on the heater? There is a chance the campground has a electric hook ups, but there is also a Yamaha 1000is generator on the back of the trailer that the first owner built a special mount that attaches to the back bumper and sits over the spare tire. I noticed the generator was leaking gas when I got home, so one more thing on the list. Not sure where it is leaking from? When the battery goes dead, how long do you think it will take the generator to charge the battery, speaking of the battery, how do you know if it is good or not? Just take it to Autozone or whatever and have them test it?

3) What is the correct Tire Cover for a 13' scamp spare tire 23" or 24"? The old one that I just pulled off was 23; however, on a trailer cover site it does not have that option.

4) I want to make sure my trailer does not leak, as there have been things screwed into the fiberglass. I understand Silicone is the devil. When i first started looking on this site, I saw recommendation for other products to use as in a type of caulk or stuff in a tube. Now I can't seem to find them. I already have a package of the white caps, most of which are missing on the scamp, so I will be sure to put those on after cutting, polishing and waxing.

5) AwningI have been doing lots of research on awnings. Lots of good stuff on here. If I go the awning route, I think I will install a rail and do an 8' Shademaker extreme. In the mean time I will do a EZup type 100 dollar coleman awning. Is there anyone that really prefers these to having an actual awning on their egg?

6) RV Mat/Rug. Do most people find that a 6'x 9' rv mat is a good size to have next to your small egg? It seems like a 9' x 12' is too large and a 4' x 6' is more of a large door mat.

Sorry for the long list, this site is a huge help and great for a newby like me. Thanks to all.
HAPPYSCAMPER76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 02:16 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
WOW, that's a lot of questions. In future posts it's usually best to del with one issue at a time so each one can get better attention, but here's a start:

1. I use Barkeepers Friend for cleaning oxidized surfaces. Others will have to make recommendations for waxes. I use ZEP floor finish, there are a lot of posts on that subject.

2. Any answers here would only be a W.A.G. as we don't know the age of your Scamp, what it has for a converter, how old the battery is and what condition it is in, or how your charging line is hooked up.

Under optimum conditions a battery will last three days if the furnace isn't used extensively. Most of us have converted to LED lights for a huge savings in battery life. Generators are not a popular subject hereabouts, and you will find that they are less and less welcome at campgrounds. However, adding the weight of a generator onto the back of a 13' SCAMP is not a good idea and may effect net tongue weight and, thereby, towing stability.

3. Order a new spare tire cover from Scamp, they sell them in their on-line parts store.

4. You can use a small dab of almost any kind of sealer under the plastic caps when you snap them on. That's not a big deal like sealing windows.

5. Scamp sells an awning mounting kit. The EZ -Up's work fine, but the consumer models all have legs that tip outwards, meaning you can't get it that close to the body if that's necessary.

6. We used a 6x9 mat with our 13' Lil Bigfoot for a while and found it to be more of a PITA than it was worth unless we were staying in one place for several days, which we seldom do. You also have to have some place to store it.

Good Luck and whereabouts are you in California?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:24 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We use a 6 X 9 mat bought on ebay, came with a carry bag and folds up accordion style to fit in the bag. hoses off and dries nice. We have found with the Shademaker bag awning that water gets in the bag when the awning is rolled up in the bag. Another owner has the same problem and no solution found yet. I think a 8' awning will be too long, I had to go with a 7' on our Uhaul 13. EDIT, a friend uses a 12 X 12 straight leg canopy over their Uhaul 13 but had to make leg extensions because it isn't tall enough.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:33 PM   #4

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
We use a 6 X 9 mat bought on ebay, came with a carry bag and folds up accordion style to fit in the bag. hoses off and dries nice. We have found with the Shademaker bag awning that water gets in the bag when the awning is rolled up in the bag. Another owner has the same problem and no solution found yet. I think a 8' awning will be too long, I had to go with a 7' on our Uhaul 13. EDIT, a friend uses a 12 X 12 straight leg canopy over their Uhaul 13 but had to make leg extensions because it isn't tall enough.
I have no idea what this looks like but maybe it is possible to put some holes in the bag and put grommets.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:37 PM   #5

Registry
The generator hanging out the back is bad news. You're likely to run into trailer uncontrollable sway. Ending upside down in the ditch isn't worth it.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:26 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Re (5)..
Bob is partly right. The cheapest freestanding awnings are the "slant leg" variety. Less shade, can't use add-on sides, and, as Bob said, you can't set them up right next to the trailer.

For a few bucks more, look for the "straight leg" type. They are readily available at big box stores and sporting goods retailers. We've had a 10x10 straight leg First-Up for 8 years and it works great. Be aware that for a lot of trailers, the legs may not be long enough for the door to clear if you set up right next to the trailer. It's really close on our Scamp.

Overall, I like the flexibility of a freestanding awning. Some campsites require you to park the trailer on a paved pad. But the nicest spot for our outdoor kitchen could very well be in a shady corner under a tree:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0745.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	423.0 KB
ID:	90198

The disadvantage is weight and bulk, and the fact that it takes up space inside the trailer when you're traveling. I don't mind so much when we go to one spot and stay for 4 or 5 days, but it would get old when touring.

This thread got my gears turning on a lighter "hybrid" arrangement. I actually saw the one at Tractor Supply, but passed until I saw this thread. Went back, and it was gone. I think with a little modification you could have it both ways. You could use all four poles away from the trailer, or with two poles and an awning rail next to the trailer. I will keep my eyes open next season. It looked small enough to find a permanent spot in the trailer.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The advantage of an awning, is it's always there.. just like the disadvantage of a EZ-UP (or the cousins) is you need to remember to bring it and haul it from the garage (etc.) I'd rather sit under a tree with my dinner on a plate on my lap than haul (or forget) one more thing! YMMV

Camping in an all-molded-towable is supposed to be fun, not a chore!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Check out the Shadyboy awning: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...nfo-67699.html

Not sure of the pricing, but they look very easy to use. www.Shadyboy.com
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:06 PM   #9

Name: Bryan
Northern California
*I do plan to re-caulk the aluminum frame for the top hatch. What should I use. I read that Silicone is bad

* I would just order up one of those tire covers from Scamp, but with all that advertising on it, they should be paying me, not the other way around-
HAPPYSCAMPER76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:43 PM   #10

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
I measured the width of our Scamp spare tire, then purchased my own generic tire cover from amazon. I did want words (my own), so we ordered custom vinyl lettering and put it on the cover.
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:18 PM   #11

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Regarding the battery, there are far too many variables to answer with any specificity about your situation. That said, get the one you have checked out somewhere, and get a meter and learn to do it yourself. You will want to know a lot about your electrical system as time goes on and a good meter will tell you a lot.

Regarding charging while towing, I have not experienced this. I THINK the wires going back from the tow are too small and if the vehicle's battery is full the alternator will not kick up to real charging power. I don't know anything for sure on this, but in my limited experience so far all I have done is break even. In other words, the stuff in the trailer runs (12V fridge) while traveling without drawing from the on-board battery(ies). I am disappointed, but OK with not going in the hole while traveling.

IF that battery is no good there are some good options. A nice real deep cycle group 27 can be had, and an upgrade from what you probably have (a "marine" compromise battery). Before I decided to go whole hog with two 6V GC2 (golf cart) batteries I also considered a group 30 deep cycle. It was not much bigger physically but was enough bigger capacity wise that I would have got one had I decided to stay with a single (12V) battery.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:51 PM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPYSCAMPER76 View Post
Hello, I have lots of questions. Any feedback would be awesome

1) [ Our Scamp is definitely oxidized and I would like to do something about it. I was looking up a product on Amazon today that I think I am going to order. It is called Meguiar's M4965 Marine/RV Fiberglass Restoration System. Has anyone used it on their oxidized egg with success?
I have not used the Megular's products but I have used the 3M marine products to remove heavy oxidization with great success. Helps greatly if you use a power duffer with a wool bonnet.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:56 AM   #13

Name: Melissa
Trailer: U Haul
Florida
I had no luck at all with Meguiar's Marine Restoration kit. Tried several promising products, (some expensive, some cheap, 3M too), but nothing worked.
I have an industrial background and decided to cut to the chase! What DID Work to remove the heavy oxidation was 2000 grit wet sand paper wrapped around a foam sanding block (to avoid finger grooves) and a spray bottle of water with a few drops of dawn dish soap to keep the paper moving smoothly.
I figured if it cut thru the gel coat then it was too thin anyway. I'de have to blow on a new coat, but I'de still have to sand/fill/and sand some more first if that were the case, so may as well go for it! The 30 year old gel coat was still plenty thick so the 2000 grit didn't hurt it a bit... just got that oxidation Gone!
After the oxidation was removed, I used Nu-Finish... in the orange bottle... 2 coats. More would be better, but I'm happy. Auto body paint and supply shops have a pink compound, paste polish stuff, which I could have used between the sand paper and the Nu-Finish sealer/wax, but... i'll go back and do that next year. Way too many other things to fix right now.
Newbie here. Only had my U-Haul a few months with a fabulous list of things yet to fix. Really LOVE THIS GROUP!!!
Meli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:08 AM   #14

New York
Melissa, I used the Barkeepers Friend on our Uhaul, then a Meguiars boat wax. We are in Florida now for a couple weeks at the COE parks near Okechobee. Our Casita has the Nu-Finish on it.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:18 AM   #15

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
We used the Meguiar's Marine/RV Fiberglass restore system and it worked really well for us. I bought this:

Robot Check

to put it on and take it off. I actually went over it twice with the oxidation remover and put three coats of the wax on it. We are happy with the way it turned out.

Our 1982 Scamp doesn't actually charge the battery from the car, nor does it charge when plugged in. This is something we discovered (as newbies last year) after a full season of camping. I bought one of these:

Robot Check

to check the battery. It's very easy to use. We'd like it to charge when plugged in so we are scheduled to take it in to our local trailer place in March and will have this installed:

Mighty Mini Compact AC/DC Power Distribution Panel
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:53 PM   #16

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
... a friend uses a 12 X 12 straight leg canopy over their Uhaul 13 but had to make leg extensions because it isn't tall enough.
Mary and Bob, do you mean literally *over* their trailer? Does this provide enough shade to make an awning unnecessary? Do they also store it this way?
Best, Ellpea
Old 02-11-2016, 05:00 PM   #17

New York
Yes, the trailer goes under the canopy. No they don't use the canopy for storing the trailer. Not as much shade as an awning, but sometimes easier to deal with, plus it eliminates any leakage problems as the Uhauls are noted for.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:22 PM   #18

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Yes, the trailer goes under the canopy. No they don't use the canopy for storing the trailer. Not as much shade as an awning, but sometimes easier to deal with, plus it eliminates any leakage problems as the Uhauls are noted for.
I bet this also really keeps the trailer cooler when parked in sunny locations! What kind of leg "extensions" did they make?
Old 02-12-2016, 01:52 PM   #19

Name: Jack
Iowa
regarding battery usage, last spring went on 10+ day trip only one night were we able to hook up to electricity. Moving site to site the tow vehicle fully charged battery. Last campsite in Glacier 6 day stay also no electricity and never had an issue with losing power. We have a good deep cycle group 27 battery, changed all interior lights to leds even ran the heater at night when needed and battery test showed still at near 75% at end of stay.
exceeded expectations.
jjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:08 PM   #20

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
Since most of our camping is done in "BUG" country we use a dining tent , rather than an awning. Have fun !!!
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote