Louvered cabinet doors - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2019, 10:58 AM   #1

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Shopping
California
Louvered cabinet doors

I was unable to find any trailer manufactures that offer louvered or cane insert cabinet doors, like those found on most sailboats. Air circulation seems to be an important factor in reducing humidity and improving warm air flow throughout the interior. Several threads recommend opening cabinet doors to reduce the possibility of freezing water lines and/or tanks at night. Unless I'm reading it wrong, some even suggest leaving lower cabinets open while traveling in freezing weather. Either you’re going to trip over an open cabinet in the dark while using the restroom or lose the contents while bouncing down the road.

I do have them on my sailboat and they help with the humidity problem. Never will I ever sail into waters cold enough to test out the freezing part. Has anyone installed louvered cabinet doors to help keep water lines/tanks from freezing? And if so, did it work?
Thanks,
Jeff
Jeffrey F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:44 PM   #2

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Most big box stores sell louvered vents that you just cut the appropriate size hole and screw on the vent. Might find more attractive ones online. Pretty easy process.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You might be interested in peterh's solution. He used punched metal: Five Scamp Upper Kitchen Cabinet Doors
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:47 PM   #4

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
I made two of these replacement cabinet doors for my trailer. Found this rattan shade roll-up at Lowes' shades department. There are a number of styles, and they can be pricey, but so is a sheet of stamped sheet metal, and making louvered slats did not appeal. Got lucky at Lowes with price. Someone returned a custom cut rattan roll-up. Ten Buckaroos!

The backing is cloth. I cut slices in it for extra ventilation.
Attached Thumbnails
cabd09.jpg   cabd13.jpg  

MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:30 PM   #5

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I made two of these replacement cabinet doors for my trailer. Found this rattan shade roll-up at Lowes' shades department. There are a number of styles, and they can be pricey, but so is a sheet of stamped sheet metal, and making louvered slats did not appeal. Got lucky at Lowes with price. Someone returned a custom cut rattan roll-up. Ten Buckaroos!

The backing is cloth. I cut slices in it for extra ventilation.
Very nice, I like the look of rattan, and you can't beat the price.
Punched aluminum another good idea.
I just don't understand why manufactures don't install louvers as standard equipment. Cost cannot be that big a factor as I've seen louvers on every sailboat I've been aboard, even the cheap ones. Everyone knows the benefits of increased ventilation in an enclosed space.
Thanks for the ideas.

Jeff
Jeffrey F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:56 PM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Thank you Myron for the great tip. I have been thinking of trying something like this.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:10 AM   #7

Name: AndyT
Trailer: Thor
Pennsylvania
DOORS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey F. View Post
I was unable to find any trailer manufactures that offer louvered or cane insert cabinet doors, like those found on most sailboats. Air circulation seems to be an important factor in reducing humidity and improving warm air flow throughout the interior. Several threads recommend opening cabinet doors to reduce the possibility of freezing water lines and/or tanks at night. Unless I'm reading it wrong, some even suggest leaving lower cabinets open while traveling in freezing weather. Either you’re going to trip over an open cabinet in the dark while using the restroom or lose the contents while bouncing down the road.

I do have them on my sailboat and they help with the humidity problem. Never will I ever sail into waters cold enough to test out the freezing part. Has anyone installed louvered cabinet doors to help keep water lines/tanks from freezing? And if so, did it work?
Thanks,
Jeff
Measure your doors, then see if the sailboat manufacturer has the same size to match
atihansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:08 PM   #8

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You might be interested in peterh's solution. He used punched metal: Five Scamp Upper Kitchen Cabinet Doors
As it happens, the inserts in our Surfside's new cabinet doors are cut from bamboo sun shade material. They, like our Scamp's aluminum punch panels, are lightweight and provide ventilation.

There's just one catch: Lynne and I ran out of material from our first bamboo screen purchase and found the second lot we ordered had distinctly different colors, so we went shopping for a different shade in a much larger size. The bamboo inserts you see here will eventually be replaced with the new design.
Attached Thumbnails
CameraZOOM-20190330105329435.jpg  
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote