Low Profile Stabilizer Jacks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2018, 05:16 PM   #1

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Trillium
Nova Scotia
Low Profile Stabilizer Jacks

Hello!

I just picked up a new-to-me 1975 Trillium 1300. I'm not sure what kind of stabilizers to use. There is only about 8" of clearance at the back. I have stackable stabilizers, but they are 11" at their shortest. The frame is original, I will eventually replace it, so for now I need something portable (jacks that are not welded on). So far it looks like scissor jacks might be my only option. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
Jennygdeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:35 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My buddy sticks a couple axle stands under his Trill rear bumper. Canadian Tire.
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2018, 07:46 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I shortened a pair of the stabilizers, later found a pair of shorter ones made by Stromberg Carlson and are a plastic type material. The S C's are no longer made as far as I know.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0452.jpg  
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:32 AM   #4

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
We had a pair of scissor jacks welded onto the frame at the rear of the trailer. We seldom use front jacks unless we are stay for more than one night. The we use the pyramid crank jacks.
Attached Thumbnails
Trillium pictures 010.jpg   Trillium pictures 008.jpg  

Old 05-13-2018, 02:21 PM   #5

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Jenny..

The BAL folks make a grand little trailer stabilizer that they call a LIGHT TRAILER STABILIZING JACK

BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry

I attached one to each end of the rear bumper of my 1975, 1300 Trillium and they work like a charm.. It's an easy install, only required drilling 2 holes into the bumper and 1 hole into the frame.. It is like this product was designed to fit our Trillium's..

You can probably go into your nearby RV shop and if they don't have a pair on the shelf they can probably get them in a couple of days..

Hope this helps..
Old 05-13-2018, 04:43 PM   #6

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
If your stabilizers are only an inch or so too short to fit under your frame, you could pull your trailer wheels up onto wood planks. That would increase the ground-to-frame distance a bit.
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:59 PM   #7

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
a couple axle stands . . .
I have several automotive jack stands. I have used them with our camper too. My shortest ones are 11 inches. For me, they are not the ideal solution because they adjust incrementally instead of screwing upward into position.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:05 PM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennygdeans View Post
Hello!

I just picked up a new-to-me 1975 Trillium 1300. I'm not sure what kind of stabilizers to use. There is only about 8" of clearance at the back. I have stackable stabilizers, but they are 11" at their shortest. The frame is original, I will eventually replace it, so for now I need something portable (jacks that are not welded on). So far it looks like scissor jacks might be my only option. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
I have been using some small scissor jacks for the same reason, but eventually I will get some fold down stabilizers. They work just fine for now but my choice was actually made because I got them for just a few bucks. I had way too many other things to buy so I went for the cost savings option
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:31 PM   #9

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I always travel with 2 junk yard economy car scissor jacks in the tow vehicle. They are 3.5" tall, 15 " long, and 3" wide. I can place them anywhere under the trailer. They go up to 12" tall. Cost $6 each. They have been a great help when the fold down, welded on stabilizers were too close to be swung into place.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:34 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The disadvantage of scissors jacks is they are designed for lifting, not stabilizing. If the trailer does shift, they tip over easily, especially sideways.

If you go that route as a temporary measure (and I'm not seeing any off-the-shelf, free-standing alternative with only 8" of clearance), you will want to avoid sloping sites, keep most of the weight on the wheels, and chock solidly. You might want to consider BAL or Anderson levelers for the wheels with integrated chocking function.

As an alternative, a bolt-on installation of Atwood or BAL stabilizers could be swapped onto the new frame when the time comes. It would depend on how much you plan to raise the suspension, of course. Product specs include a working height range.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:10 PM   #11

Oklahoma
Registry
It seems to me there might be a market for a smaller version of those stackable, pyramid-shaped, screw-type stabilizers. I would buy them.