lower then market isn't allways a steal of a deal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2007, 07:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
So we started on the clean-up of our new purchase today and one thing led to another and we kept going deeper, and deeper into the project and this is what it looks like.

hard to see em but there's termites here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	termitedmg.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	27668

The mouse nest has presented a rather soft hole in the floor under the heater.

Name:	mousenestandrot.jpg
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	27669

The water tank had a leaky hose or overflowed at some point into the compartment. I found this soft spot that became a hole with my screwdriver that I was leaning on. Just about put my arm through the floor.

Name:	holeinfloor.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	27670

So we decided to keep digging until it looked like this.

Name:	rearfloor.jpg
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	27671

Name:	front.jpg
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	27672

So my questions are

1. Has anyone out there done floor panel repair and how? The areas in question are along the outside edges and appear to have glass laid into them. I wasn't sure if this was how the body was attached to floor and frame and don't want to just cut it and risk more damage.

2. How much of the cabinets is structural vs. cosmetic? Can I replace with wooden cabs that are just screwed to the floor risers thereby allowing me to fill all of the rivet holes that aren't necessary with new glass before we re-paint.?

3. If I like the answers to 2, has anyone replaced the "rat fur" in their scamps, and if so with what? any pic out there?
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:32 AM   #2

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Hang in there, Dan. Getting everything cleared out so you have a clear understanding of the problems is often the worst part. I'm not a Scamp owner, so I can't answer your specific questions. Floors are often patched and sometimes replaced. If no-one with experience chimes in, a good search of the archives should turn up some pictures and good advice.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:23 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('ye ole bucket')
Quote:
. Has anyone out there done floor panel repair and how? The areas in question are along the outside edges and appear to have glass laid into them. I wasn't sure if this was how the body was attached to floor and frame and don't want to just cut it and risk more damage.
I just had a repair done on the back floor under the table... the floor is glassed to the back inside of the trailer as there is no frame to attach it too... I was pleased with the repairs I had done.... I am sure others here have replaced the floor but dont know if they 'glassed' it or what???" I have to have my work done at a shop,, so I just ask Scamp and give them the instructions..

for the rest of your questions I am no help..... You will find good information from fellow handymans here.....
Christine V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:03 AM   #4
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Here's one old, old topic that leads to another old, old topic on a full floor, frame-off restoration. (Not suggesting you want to do that, but the discussions about doing it may be helpful... Alas, the old pics got lost.)

Big problems with 1982 Burro

A project begins, 13 Ft Boler 1972

And, here's another one that might had some useful info: Scamp Floor Replacement.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:32 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Hang in there, Dan. Getting everything cleared out so you have a clear understanding of the problems is often the worst part. I'm not a Scamp owner, so I can't answer your specific questions. Floors are often patched and sometimes replaced. If no-one with experience chimes in, a good search of the archives should turn up some pictures and good advice.
dan,i think cam is right, the worst may be over.everything in our scamp is wood(cabinets, seats).i think its heavier but thats what it came with. the good part is you can build it any way you want it. the floor, i would cut out only whats damaged and replace it with the same chip board then fiberglass the top and bottom. as for the rat fur replace it with a flexible carpet. since its gutted everything is easier to work with. im sure you will get other input,take what sounds the best and have fun fixing it. look at other interiors and get ideas for what you like best. good luck.
brad young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:45 AM   #6

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
In the various trailers I've had floor issues with (3 and counting now), my preference is to take the same approach one would as a dentist: Remove as little as possible, patch and move on.

I think there is very rarely sufficient damage to the floor that a full-blown replacement is needed. Minor soft spots can be strengthened or given additional support from below, small holes can be patched simply, larger areas of rot require cutting back to solid wood, replacement of the section and cleaning up the seams.

The cargo trailer conversion I'm working on now is the one that required by far the most floor work (the big door in the back leaked, previous owner had tried beefing it up with a chip-board-like material which pretty much melted when wet), with the entire rear 4' or so needing to go.

Course, if things are only mildly bad, but bad enough that little patches don't handle it, another approach is to lay a new floor in on top of the old one. A couple sheets of 1/4" luan smooth things out and are stronger than one might think.

Mike
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote