Lowest inch while draining fresh water tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #1

Trailer: Biggar 19 ft
Draining the fresh water tank with the water pump leaves about just over an inch of water in the fresh water tank.

The hoses connected to it seem to be held on with both a metal strip that screws tight, and glue.

I thought I would take off a hose and use a hand pump to remove the final inch of water. But I would have to cut a hose.

Do I have to get it out? Gets pretty cold in Winnipeg.

If I do have to get it out, any suggestions?
Cory Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:03 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Are you sure you don't have a direct drain from the bottom of your tank?

My Fiber Stream's fresh water tank has 4 connections, 2 near the top, (Water fill & air vent) and 2 near the bottom, (outlet to pump & tank drain). The tank drain drops from the absolute bottom of the tank through the floor to a line with a hose bibb valve.

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0274.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	530.6 KB
ID:	24217

Can you see the short red pipe under the trailer with the hose bibb valve? That drains my Fresh water tank to the last drop.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:29 PM   #3

Trailer: Biggar 19 ft
Thanks. Your answer made me go out and take a closer look. You were right, there was a fourth hole - but it wasn't on the bottom of the tank the way the tank was positioned.

In my Biggar, the freshwater tank was laying on its side under a couch. The fourth hole was higher than the hole leading to the pump but lower than the hole for inserting water and what I guess is the hole to the air vent. So the tank had to be taken out and tipped upside down to get the rest of the water out. The tubes were not glued on. They connected to plugs that screwed into the tank. Unscrewing them worked worked to free up the tank. More elbow grease to pull the tubes off of the plugs might also have worked. The fourth hole looks like it originally was about two inches in diameter and screwed, but at some point had been melted or glued shut and the replacement seems to be a tiny hole with a metal screw with a rubber washer.

Once the tank was off, I could stick one end of a tube into the tube that led to the pump and the other end into the non-toxic antifreeze container, then let the pump move the anti-freeze through the system.

Don't know whether all biggars were made as mine is or whether my set up is some modification by a prior owner.

Thanks again for your help!
Cory Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote