LP hose check valve? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2021, 08:51 PM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
LP hose check valve?

I carry a small gas grill with a 13’ hose and I hook it to the RV tank for cooking. I’d like to add a check valve at the point that it hooks to the tank so I do not lose the trapped gas when I unhook the hose but have not located one. I have tried shutting it off at the tank, but it continues to burn longer that it took to cook the food on the trapped gas. Any ideas??
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:25 PM   #2

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
The female ACME nut on the hose end has a check valve built into it to prevent gas trapped in the hose from escaping. If yours leaks when disconnected you need a new hose end. This applies to green, red and black ACME nuts.

Quoting from the Marshall Excelsior RV catalog, page 24 https://www.marshallexcelsior.com/si...%20Catalog.pdf

The Type I (QCC) connectors (ME517, ME518 and ME519 Series) are designed with a built-in excess flow feature and a positive shutoff that will not allow gas to flow until the connector is fully engaged. In case of a fire the built-in thermal protection on the QCC connector melts allowing the nipple to disengage from the tank connection and stop the flow of propane. These QCC connectors also provide a positive back check seal at disconnect to eliminate the propane in the hose from being released into the atmosphere.

To connect a Type I (QCC) connector to a cylinder, close the cylinder valve and the control valves to all connected appliances. Hand tighten the QCC onto the cylinder and slowly open the cylinder valve. If the valve is opened too quickly, the excess flow device will be activated closing the flow of propane to the appliance. If the excess flow device is activated, close appliance control valves and wait 60 seconds to allow pressure in the line to equalize. Additional equalization time may be needed depending on the length of the hose. Turn on appliances by following the manufacturer’s suggested lighting procedures.

Charles
Old 09-28-2021, 06:46 AM   #3

Wisconsin
Registry
I have this hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
The female ACME nut on the hose end has a check valve built into it to prevent gas trapped in the hose from escaping. If yours leaks when disconnected you need a new hose end. This applies to green, red and black ACME nuts.Charles
and have no check valve on the tank end.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
hose.jpg  
Old 09-28-2021, 10:12 AM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
and have no check valve on the tank end.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I would like to help you but I’m not sure what you have. Are you using the 12-foot Amazon hose with a male acme fitting in your posted link? If so, you cannot use a check valve because a check valve only allows one-way flow. If you want to “trap” the unused propane in the hose you need to replace the acme male end of the hose with a valved female QD (quick disconnect) fitting and the acme female fitting on the grill with a male QD fitting. If the grill has its own regulator, use a high pressure QD fitting. If it doesn’t, use a low pressure QD fitting. Externally, they look the same. But the high pressure QD fittings have a smaller internal diameter.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 10:28 AM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
If the gas in the line runs the stove for X minutes after the food is cooked, shut off the valve X minutes before the food is done cooking. Otherwise the QD works.. thats I use for the Wave III heater.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 06:45 AM   #6

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
We just shut off the tank like above and let it burn out. "We use a 5lb refillable tank at picnic table, hose has no valve it is original to stove.
Old 11-19-2021, 02:10 PM   #7

Wisconsin
Registry
LP gas hose shut off

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
I carry a small gas grill with a 13’ hose and I hook it to the RV tank for cooking. I’d like to add a check valve at the point that it hooks to the tank so I do not lose the trapped gas when I unhook the hose but have not located one. I have tried shutting it off at the tank, but it continues to burn longer that it took to cook the food on the trapped gas. Any ideas??
I could not find a check valve but I did find the parts needed to make a shut off. (they are all made for lp gas) READY FOR NEXT YEAR!
Attached Thumbnails
LP hose end.jpg