LP problem - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2010, 05:56 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
I just recently purchased a 1999 13' Scamp. It has the 2 burner Suburban LP stove. I can't get it to light off very well. I know the LP tank is not the problem because I switched to a tank that I was sure was good ( both tanks have the OPD valve ) and the symptoms were the same. One burner will barely light but the flame is weak and if I try to light the other burner, the first one goes out. The stove hasn't been used for some time. Do the lines get clogged and will blowing them out with compressed air help? My local LP place said they could bench test the regulator so I will take it to them. Do the orifices in the stoves get plugged?
I love the Scamp and am planning a big trip to Alaska next year. Any help will be appreciated.
Jon Kilpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:40 AM   #2

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Your doing it correctly, start at the tank and work towards the stove.
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:31 AM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Also, when opening the tank, remember to open it VERY slowly. Opening the valve too quickly could cause the OPT valve to trip. Results would seem to indicate similar issues you are experiencing. Once that valve is tripped, the only way I know of to correct it is to undo the trank from the trailer (and the hose), slowly upend the tank and then carefully re-install. Do a leak test on the reinstalled tank for safety sake. Another possible cause could be spider web/dirt, junk build up in the line.

I would NOT consider blowing compressed air into the line, as the air contains moisture which is definately NOT needed in any fuel line.....
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:28 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
I took the regulator to a local LP business and had it bench tested. It failed. The service man said that it was OK to use compressed air to blow out the lines since if there was a blockage, any moisture in the air would be the least of my problem. He said that they use compressed air to leak test any new installation they do. He advised starting from the stove end of the line because sometimes there is some nasty debris and odor coming out of the line. I blew the lines, installed the new regulator, and now the stove works great.
Jon Kilpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:47 AM   #5

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Great news, a relative easy fix. for the update. Another piece of knowledge gleemed from this great website....
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #6

Trailer: 1973 Boler 1300 (Glass-Fab
Registry
Good news. Regulators are often the problem, wouldn't you say?

Methyl hydrate is often used to purge lines of debris and residual LP condensate, because of its dessicating properties.

Just re-emphasizes the importance of keeping your propane system healthy.
Mike Bromley is offline   Reply With Quote