Majic brand paint on fiberglass? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2015, 02:15 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Majic brand paint on fiberglass?

Okay so we are in the final stages of fiberglassing/filler/sanding our 1971 Boler so I have been shopping paint through auto body suppliers and it seems about $100 per gallon of auto paint is average...more than I expected to spend...so

I went to tractor supply and found Majic brand truck & tractor enamel paint for $29.99 gallon and it was on sale for $24.... I got a gallon each of primer and paint and reducer Gardner for $100 bucks....any one have any experience with this paint? Also, I called their 800 number and they said it would work fine for fiberglass
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:20 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
It's just my opinion, but after I did all that work and prep on my trailer I wouldn't trust it to $25/gallon tractor paint..... Good paint, paint that stands up well to the environment, keeps a good surface shine, and is resistant to surface cracking and eventual peeling, costs money to make. Moreover, if your tractor paint fails in a year or two, you may well have a significant task to remove it and redo it with a more appropriate coating.

I have used Rustoleum Marine Paint with good results on non-fiberglass RV's but I only use and recommend Interlux Topside Marine Coating for fiberglass. It's a bit more expensive, but the finished product is a work of beauty that will last well into the next millennium I am sure (LOL).

And remember, Majic is all smoke, mirrors and slight of hand.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:39 PM   #3

Name: Kenji
Trailer: Scamp
Arizona
Registry
That paint is a soybean oil alkyd paint. It will likely not yellow in the sun, but will chalk sooner than an automotive paint. You should cut the paint with mineral spirits to thin it.
I wouldn't thin it with a hot solvent like MEK since then it would flash and be difficult to deal with. These oil paints are much better applied in many thin coats than one thick one. You NEED the hardener for it if you want it to be dry this month. They do make a top coat that is actually a lacquer. When spraying it you should wear a respirator.

Majic® Clear Coat High Gloss Lacquer, 1 gal., Clear - Tractor Supply Co.

If you thin the paint and apply it in thin coats (using the hardener too) it will set up nearly as hard as automotive paint. Using that top coat it will be stone and chip resistant, and also WAY more UV resistant than without it.

Grab one of the purple HVLP guns from from Harbor Freight for $9.99 on sale (clean it well!) and you will be golden.
KenjiFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:46 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I am in agreement with Bob, time is money and the last thing I ever want to do is a job over again because a cheaper product failed. Paints like Interlux are specifically designed to work on fiberglass in a hostile environment and look great (boaters take great pride in how their boat looks). I know lots of farmers and none really care how shiny or good looking their tractor is, their equipment gets so banged up during the year they want something to slap on to cover up the rust
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I would use the best fiberglass paint available regardless of the cost. You get what you pay for. If I was going to paint a Tractor, I wouldn't care as the tractors of the world get dirty and beat up on a daily basis.

I will also not skimp on Smoke, CO, Propane, Fire detectors or electric brake controllers and tires.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:14 PM   #6

Arizona
Registry
I too, agree with Bob. I should have pointed that out in my reply. The prep work will always take longer than the painting. At least if you are doing it right that is. However, the OP asked specifically "any one have any experience with this paint?" and since they already made their purchase, that's exactly what I gave them.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:39 PM   #7

That's OK, I was just hoping that I could redirect the o.p. from what seemed like a bad idea by suggesting a much better way than one that was, at least on this site, unheard of and untried. I dislike seeing someone do so much work only to put it at risk to save a few $$$.

Tractor Paint???? Really?

Old 05-15-2015, 08:17 PM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Better than rolling it with indoor latex paint like you see done on some city vans.

In all honesty the implement paint isn't a terrible choice for these trailers. It's capable of looking like a factory car finish when done right. It just requires more elbow grease but less money. For some that is a perfect trade.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:58 AM   #9

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
And your limited to Tractor colors.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:56 AM   #10

Name: Jim
Trailer: ventura 1300
Ontario
Paint.

I painted my Boler with a similar paint, read all, take your time and the effort will be good, thin coats and many are my recommendation to you. Like most things you will get a good finish IF you take the time.
JvR
jvrayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:20 AM   #11

Thanks for the info:
So others might know, can you post the exact brand and paint name & color that worked for you. How long has it been on your Boler

Old 05-31-2015, 09:05 PM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Thanks for the input guys, if I had unlimited funds I would go with Bob & Ians suggestions with a faster drying auto or marine paint, but since we are over budget already I am gonna give the Majic tractor primer & paint a try using a Campbell Hausfeld paint sprayer with at least 2 coats of primer & paint each and maybe a clear over coat. I plan to wet sand with 600 grit on the primer coats and 1000 grit on the paint coats. I am told that this will produce very good results using this type of paint with a glass like finish...from what I have read online everyone who followed the direction had great results and not just on tractors...I have seen a few fully restored vintage tractors & trucks that were done with this type of enamel paint (not sure of brand) with amazing results. the ones who didn't seem happy with the results appear to not have followed directions or wait times in between coats from what I read in their posts on other forums...anyway we will see how it turns out & I will post some pictures good or bad...KenjiFox and jvrayner thanks for your input too I appreciate the info!
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint