major leak - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2007, 07:20 PM   #1

Trailer: Love Bug 1973 13 ft and Scamp 1984 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to JNikirk
Hello Everyone: I need some help badly. I am in the process of restoring a 1984 Scamp 13 ft. The problem is that I have a major leak under the back window. I first thought water was entering around the rear window but after removing the ensolite I have discovered that the wooden panel that the table brackets are fastened to is totally rotted.

This leads me to believe that the water is entering under the belly band, has any member of this group had this problem? If so what is the best approach for repairing the problem? What is the best way to remove the belly band with out damaging it? Can repairs be made from the inside after removing the wooden panel?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Joe
JNikirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
On my '74 Boler, I had a leak where the rubber is butted together right at the bottom center of our one piece window....the rubber shrinks and opens up a seam about at least 1/8" wide and that introduces water into the interior above the bunk bed mount....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 19 ft Scamp
I had the same thing in our Scamp. I replaced the rear window, removed and re-sealed the side windows, replaced the rivets, re-sealed the top vent....all to find out it was the belly band. I removed the wall covering and found that the water was entering at the belly band on the side of the trailer and running inside the fiberglass until it got to the back piece of wood, then poured out through that down to the floor.

I ended up using an assortment of dental picks and removing all the RTV along the top side of the belly band (making sure I got it all out, even under the lip of the belly band). I also cleaned the fiberglass real good with acetone. Then I redid the RTV using ProFlex RV (it sticks very well to the fiberglass and doesn't craze it over time). It was a long and tedious process, but it's been dry ever since!

When I replace the rear wood, I sealed the wood with several coats of fiberglass resin before fiberglassing it back into the trailer. At least that way it would be less likely to rot out again if the belly band ever leaks again. Also, be sure to seal the two plastic bases that go under the screws that hold the wood in position while you fiberglass it.

Only seal the top lip of the belly band, not the bottom.

-Isaac
Isaac M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:33 PM   #4

Trailer: Love Bug 1973 13 ft and Scamp 1984 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to JNikirk
Thanks for the input: Issac I had to do basically what you did. The wood was removed and a new section installed.

Once I removed the old wood I had a friend spray the trailer while I was on the inside looking for water. It did not take long to find the entry points. On each side of the board where the belly band ran behind the wood it appears that some one failed to fiber glass. There was a good 1/8th inch opening on each side allowing water to enter.

I also put several coats of fiber glass on the new wood prior to installing. Once I got the wood positioned properly I use glass cloth and fiber glassed the whole thing in place. The hardest part of the job was removing the ensolite. I sure would like to find a section about four foot square because when I took the back section off it pulled away from the rubber in spots.

Again Thanks for the input
JNikirk is offline   Reply With Quote