Major leak in Casita after rainstorm - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2023, 11:25 AM   #1

Name: Debra
Trailer: Casita 2019
FL
Major leak in Casita after rainstorm

A major rainstorm has gone up the east coast of the US on 12/16 into 12/17. After 24 hours of almost constant rain, I found water on the floor under the rear bunk dining seat adjacent to the bathroom of my Castia SD. The water seems to have come from the place where the carpeted wall meets the floor on the backside, not from the pipes that are found in that cabinet. (After drying the floor, I used dry paper towels to determine what seemed to be the source of the water.) Even 24 hours after the rain stopped, the paper towels are still absorbing water and floor and carpet adjacent to the floor outside the cabinet and along that bathroom wall are also wet.

I had a small leak in this area a few years back and posted then, but nothing since. Fyi, I also have an exterior shower at about the level of where the leak appears.

Has anyone else experienced a leak such as this? Any ideas or suggestions about what to do? It does not seem to be coming from the pipes in that cabinet. The timing strongly suggests it is a leak related to the rain. I will look further at the shower and clean the weepholes in the dining and bathroom windows but welcome any other suggestions or experiences. Thank you in advance.

And if I can figure out how to attach some photos, I will. Could not figure out who to do that.
Debbie in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 12:03 PM   #2

Name: Madeline
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Check the sewer vents , caps and caulk.
Madelinecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 12:04 PM   #3

Name: Madeline
Florida
The city water intake gets wonky sometimes if you have that hooked up.
Madelinecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 01:04 PM   #4

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I don't know how to find the leak but I'd be very aggressive in getting the trailer interior dry. If you don't have both a wet/dry vac and a dehumidifier, I'd suggest getting them and go to work.
Old 12-19-2023, 02:50 AM   #5

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Freedom Deluxe
Don't panic

I've had scary water ingress on more than one occasion usually after driving typhoon rains etc or parking on an angle under trees etc. It's easy to get a leak from a window if the trailer is parked leaning down on one side. Water always seems to find a way through a not fully secured rear window on one side of rear bed. Both of the above tend to wet the wall carpet. But even a bad rivit cap on the roof or loose rivet on the awning can cause a small leak. Another time the water came in through an aging stove vent. I have had leakage in bathroom from the overhead vent not being shut tight.
Once you get it dried out just start with basic stuff like windows vents or rivet caps.
nsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 09:06 AM   #6

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: ex-Casita, now Alto R series
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie in Florida View Post
..... I found water on the floor under the rear bunk dining seat adjacent to the bathroom of my Castia SD. The water seems to have come from the place where the carpeted wall meets the floor on the backside, not from the pipes that are found in that cabinet.
I had a small leak in this area a few years back and posted then, but nothing since. FYI, I also have an exterior shower at about the level of where the leak appears.
underline is mine
Your prior post on a leak described the side dining seat and the outside shower located on the 'road-side' as the potential ingress point for that one. I'm going to presume that the shower and the proximity to the toilet in a SD mean the reference to a 'rear bunk' in this post is in error.
The drains in the window frames, if blocked, would let water in well above the described location. The wall carpet under the dinette window would be wet and the wall behind the toilet would be wet. You didn't mention either, so I presume there was no water found on the interior in those locations.
I have to accept the high possibility, almost certainty, that the outside shower, and the necessary holes through the Casita shell, are the source of water inside in this side bunk area.
The remediation of the leak three years ago was not challenged enough until this past storm, or the three years that passed have compromised the integrity of that repair.
Old 12-19-2023, 02:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
OK, first off, your entire description leaves much to interpretation. I also own an SD model Casita, and from what you've described, following your narrative, it makes little sense. The rear bunk isn't anywhere near the bathroom, which is located up front, and you also have the two seat side dinette between the two.
If I had to venture a guess, my guess would be the possibility of water getting inside, (especially from enduring heavy rain,) would be the that it's getting in through the upper outside fridge vent, which is mounted on a slight inward angle and will leak inboard if it leaks at all, and has also been a source of water entry for many years to many who have had that problem occur over the years. Particularly, if your trailer isn't sitting perfectly level, water will run towards any low point inside, which in and of itself, can make you think that it is entering near a window, but most often, it isn't the window seals that are leaking. Just something else to explore in your search.

I would also rule out the outside shower, (which I also have,) as a source of any leak unless you can actually see something leaking in there, (highly unlikely.)
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 06:52 AM   #8

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: ex-Casita, now Alto R series
Massachusetts
Per Debbie's one-time, no-update, prior post on this water leak https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...eak-97598.html her location description then, and the location now, differ only on the reader's interpretation of "...rear bunk dining seat...".

If a reader were to mentally change the positions of the adjectives to imply that the 'dining seat' was at the rear of the trailer, the other descriptions of the puddle location are non-sense.

But, if a reader were to add some implied, but not stated, words to mentally come up with "...rear [of the side] bunk dining seat..." then everything is in its place with PEX piping, adjacent to the bathroom, cabinet, outside shower, window, all right where they are in any non-Picasso cubist painting of an SD.

I do hope that Deb identifies and announces the remediation this time rather than leave this thread as another cliff-hanger with no resolution.
Old 12-23-2023, 11:09 AM   #9

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
I don't know how to find the leak but I'd be very aggressive in getting the trailer interior dry. If you don't have both a wet/dry vac and a dehumidifier, I'd suggest getting them and go to work.

At a bare minimum the wet vac is a much better solution than the towels. And certainly if not a dehumidifier, and good box fan pointed at the area and then good ventilation is a an absolute requirement.

If you were looked up to city water your pressure reducer may have failed.

Pictures might help
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 04:30 PM   #10

Name: Michelle
Washington
I, too, agree that a wet/dry vacuum and dehumidifier are your best hopes. If you can, put a heater in the camper, as dehumidfiers work best at temps over 55-and right now it's winter.
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 04:43 PM   #11

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadowlark View Post
I, too, agree that a wet/dry vacuum and dehumidifier are your best hopes. If you can, put a heater in the camper, as dehumidfiers work best at temps over 55-and right now it's winter.

Actually a good fan, and a heater or turning on the furnace and then leaving the top vent open will make for a great "dehumidifier" in this weather.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita