Make a fibreglass tub - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2021, 06:03 PM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: Not a current owner
Aukland
Make a fibreglass tub

I want to build a removable fiberglass "tub" in a rear carpeted area to toss messy and dirty items. The tub would ideally conform to the contours and curves of that area. Floor area is carpeted. Wall sections are covered in a plastic molding material, similar to the molding you'd find in a mini-van.

My idea was to cover the floor and a 3-foot high section up the walls in self-adhesive plastic sheet (i.e. self-adhesive carpet protection film), then fiberglass directly over the top of that to create the mold.

Is this feasible? Would I need to cover the plastic in a release agent? Any ideas or suggestions much appreciated.
pepo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 11:34 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 17' Casita
Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepo1 View Post
I want to build a removable fiberglass "tub" in a rear carpeted area to toss messy and dirty items. .

A lot of work, for what ? a lousy tub .... in a small camper I would just get one, or make one of those special heavy duty bag 'Trasheroo' you hang, outside, on your spare tire. You could even toss your dirty laundry in there and your dog wouldn't complain.
Attached Thumbnails
71Q4T5H7WDL._AC_SL1024_.jpg  
New Orleans John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 06:34 PM   #3

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
That sounds like it'd work, though you'd have to be pretty careful about resin leaking through. Also risk of leaving a lot of little fiberglass shards/splinters around if you're actually building it inside of the living area. Creases in the plastic might also be a challenge for mold release.

I'd also consider just heat-bending and plastic-welding some sheets of HDPE into the right shape.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote