Make door frame water tight - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2017, 06:17 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Make door frame water tight

I took the door assembly off my trailer (Trillium 5500) to fix wood rot on the floor.
Now I'm looking for something to seal the corners of the door frame.
It is made out of aluminium extrusions, similar to a jalousie window, but welded at the corners.

Now the welds have cracked, and they can let water pass behind. The frame is still solid but not water tight.

When I resealed my windows last year I noticed there was some kind of sealant in the corners of the jalousie windows.
What is this stuff? Window glazing putty?
I'm not familiar with this.
Would this be a good option to seal the corners of my door frame? (the whole door assembly is sealed to the trailer with butyl tape just like a window).

I need something that will not not crack again. It has to endure some flexing, as there is some when someone climbs on the trailer.

I need something durable, as any leak will not be visible, and will end up damaging the floor and the doorstep support structure, which is right under inside the "pontoon" and made out of wood (just had to fix all that due to wood rot).

Epoxy?
FG resin?
Sikaflex or similar?

Open to suggestions as to how to seal these corners.

Thanks
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote