Making B1700 logging-road proof? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2009, 09:01 PM   #21

Trailer: 1991 Casita Spirit Deluxe
X2 on what was advised as for reinforcing the frame. I have taken my 91SD into some really rough offroad places, and soon after realized that the frame on my camper needed additional cross bracing due to the torsional stress that was placed on the body, not to mention the rivets that pulled through the body. I welded 3x3 angle iron across six places on the frame and reinforced the tongue. As far as the Elastomeric coating, my entire trailer except for the underside has been coated in this(to cover the stress cracks) and it has been on there for four years and is still holding up very well. I washed my trailer in a weak bleach solution and the adhesion was very good to the fiberglass, but I have not tested on wood substrates. I applied two thick coatings with a roller brush and I am happy with the results.
Scott,H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:39 AM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Next year I hope to replace an axle and work on planned wood-burning stove and rock shield (spray-on or roll-on stuff turned out to be just too weak for the purpose, rocks just go through it).
See if this stuff may work for what you want: Grizzly Grrip

And here's a topic that was posted by cjlindsay about an installed wood stove: The Pine Cone's almost done!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:23 AM   #23

Trailer: 1977 17 ft Boler / 07 FJ Cruiser
Registry
Thank you all for input

Donna, this is the picture of empty trailer on less than ideal stretch of the road, that's why there impression it's tongue up. Loaded it almost ideally alighned, and most of the load is on tongue.

My current rock guard does protect fiberglass so it it will be there while it lasts (till next year most likely) but I doubt I will go with any more coating experiments.

Paul
I think there is nothjing to add beef to unfortunately - the weld job was extremely poor, It's all bent now. And also I plan to tear down entire kitchen, so I anything could make me through th fall will do. I'm thinking on replacing supports with rectangular wooden frames which would rest on countertop.

I'm trying hard to keep trailer light so while frame job is in the action plan, I leave it for later for now.
D Kovetsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:02 PM   #24

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
I think a 2x2 frame on the counter top would be just fine to get you through, but beyond that maybe you could find a nice old wrought iron stair railing to hack into place.
Paul from NWOnt is offline   Reply With Quote