Maps - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2016, 04:39 PM   #1

Name: Richard
Trailer: Casita 16
Florida
Maps

I need some input about road atlas or maps to purchase when planning a long trip from Florida to New Brunswick.
CaptRichie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:46 PM   #2

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Hi Richard----personally, I LOVE maps. I know it's not "tech smart", with all the apps and google stuff available....
...but I love holding a real-honest--to-goodness map in my hot little hands.

If you aren't already a member, AAA and Good Sam both offer free trip-planning with maps and trip-tiks.

And really, any road atlas will help with the main arteries. You probably won't go too far afield on your actual journey, will you?

Once you arrive in the Saint John area, the NB map that you can get free at the Welcome Centre either at the border or just outside of Saint John proper. And you can go online to any state tourism office and also the provincial one for New Brunswick and they will mail to you a map plus camping and tourism info.

And I am checking into the campgrounds as we discussed.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:14 PM   #3

Florida
Maps

Theresa,

Thank you so much! We do plan to join Good Sam and AAA.( My wife Marianne, always used their trip-tix when going from Florida to Cape Cod, Massachusetts to visit her folks. We also have a GPS. We are sure we won't get lost we just want to feel like we have a general plan to follow and also find some fun side trips.

The info re: The NB map is also helpful, we will order that online.
You are being so accommodating, we would like to offer you any helpful info we may provide regarding South Florida.

We have been boating for many years, sold the boat, bought a Casita and this is our maiden voyage, so we want to get it right the first trip.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:16 AM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
We make due with the Rand McNally Road Atlas for general travel, if we are going to be doing a lot of back roads in any particular state we get the DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer or Benchmark Road and Rec atlas for that state.

Can't help for Canada other then the Rand Mcnally has the provinces in it.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:17 AM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I always plan my route on line, print out the map directions, obtain a current large print map atlas, and between these 2 items and my on board GPS I manage to arrive at my destination, eventually.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:52 PM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
I'll second the recommendation of a DeLorme Atlas for any state in which you'll spend much time. It'll identify an number of interesting sites, but you might also look into a guidebook. I've had success giving "Off the Beaten Path" type books to those who are going into a new area. All depends on what kind of thing you're interested in.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:25 PM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Maps

Ginny is a map person. We often stop at border visitor's centers and pick up a new one. For Canada we usually order maps online thru their tourist bureaus.

Ginny carries a large print Atlas as well as east coast and west coast mount directories that list all the tough climbs.

We do have Delorme state map books for key states like Maine.

For select repeat areas, like Newfoundland's Fogo Island, we go to the local chamber of commerce and get a map that just covers the island. We do this particularly if we're staying for a while.

We also some times purchase specialty books, for NL we have east coast and west coast hiking trails of NL.

Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:03 PM   #8

Florida
Thank you

I would like to thank everyone for their helpful input. Hope to meet a few of you "on the road"
Richard & Marianne