Marine plywood not available - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2016, 01:51 PM   #1

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Marine plywood not available

I have been searching for marine plywood to use for the subfloor in my Ventura but there is none to be had in my area. What is the next best plywood (and treatment if necessary)?
Patricia
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:58 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia D. View Post
I have been searching for marine plywood to use for the subfloor in my Ventura but there is none to be had in my area. What is the next best plywood (and treatment if necessary)?
Patricia
Did you go to a regular lumber yard supplier? They should be able to order some in for you from one of their distributors even if they don't normally stock it. Talk to the manager and see what they say.

Marine plywood is not an standard on the shelf item you will find at places such as Home Depot.

The next best thing will be an exterior rated plywood but do try to obtain the marine grade first.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:22 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Menards , Home Depot and Lowe's sell Marine Grade AB treated plywood. They don't stock it but they can order it .Roseburg is one of the suppliers . If someone in your area manufactures boats ,especially pontoon boats try there . The decks of pontoon boats are made with treated 7 ply marine plywood , they are subject to a lot of moisture and last for years.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:24 PM   #4

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
If the windows and fixtures are kept in tact, the floor should last decades. For that reason, marine plywood, while awesome, wouldn't be absolutely necessary in my universe. Treated plywood would likely outlast me and would be plenty good, especially if coated well to seal it up particuarly on the cut edges. Again, with the caveat of not rotting from the top down.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:27 PM   #5

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
+1 on you can ask at the Home Depot (or I would guess Lowes) customer service desk or contractors desk. I needed some for a project and they will order it but don't stock it.

At the same time a local lumber yard did stock 1/2 inch marine plywood to service trailer, dock and pontoon boat market in the area.

In addition to waterproof glue marine plywood has fewer voids allowed and they are smaller voids (knot hole hidden in an inner layer is a void) Less likely to have hollow spots on the inside that will hold moisture or be weak spots.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:03 PM   #6

Ontario
Red face Thanks

Thanks for all your responses. I naively thought that, with our community on one of the largest lakes in the world and with a thriving commercial fish industry, marine plywood would be a stock item in at least one of the 3 lumber yards. Apparently not.
I will start phoning around tomorrow and see if anyone can order it. The responses to my enquiries were blank or confused looks so I am thinking the boating community have their own sources. Maybe hanging out at the boat yard would be more productive.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:41 PM   #7

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
.....Maybe hanging out at the boat yard would be more productive.
If hearing fish stories and other nautical related lies counts as productive... WINNER! At least that is how it works with brother in law in Florida.

I'm sure the boat yard(s) or lumber yards can hook you up with a source.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:16 PM   #8

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
For the floor in my 16' Scamp I used 3/4" exterior and covered both sides and the edges with fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin.
I fitted the pieces and to let the cloth lay down along the edge I rounded the edges.
I installed the fiberglassed floor abd bonded it to the shell with strips of fabric and more epoxy,
My thought was that the floor needed to be waterproofed from the inside more than the outside.
The floor rot starts from leaks and lets the water pool on the floor.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:22 AM   #9

Name: Rory
Trailer: In the market"
California
Quote:
Patricia
No idea where in Manitoba you are but maybe these guys are close enough or can point you in the right direction. Good luck.

Tropical Marine Plywood (BS1088) | Windsor Plywood
Rory B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:38 AM   #10

Ontario
Found it, thanks to Rory B.

You have done my work for me, thanks. Windsor has it and not as expensive as I had feared. It is a trip to the city but will be worth it.
I am just finishing the removal of the current floor and was going to start calling around, but no need now, thanks so much.
Everyone who helps out on these forums is wonderful. I read posts, new and old, every night and have learned so much. Great not having to reinvent the wheel.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:38 AM   #11

Name: Bill
Trailer: Escape
Ontario
Registry
Castle Building Supplies in Ontario ordered a sheet for me in Ontario. They have stores in Manitoba too.
Backwater Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:51 AM   #12

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
For reference; Marine plywood and exterior grade plywood are basically the same thing, with the plies glued with resorcinol or other waterproof glue. The difference is that the voids on the inner plies of marine plywood were plugged. The voids are those football shaped plugs you see on some plywood.The inner voids in exterior plywood which have not been plugged, can absorb and hold moisture, and become a source of rot.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:40 PM   #13

Name: Cate & Dan
Trailer: 1976 Triple E SurfSide "The Mutt Hut"
Manitoba
Have you tried Windsor Plywood on Pembina Hwy, Route 90, or Main Street in Winnipeg? They carry a lot of specialty lumber and I know my buddy bought some a couple of years ago for building a canoe because he scrounged my truck to get it home.
Old Macdonalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:14 PM   #14

Ontario
I have found some, thanks

After a tip from Rory (in California, I think) I called Windsor on Main and they have 3 sheets. I will go in on Thurs. Windsor Plywood is great, especially for items like maple trims that no one else carries.