Mattress Topper Sizing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2007, 12:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2003 16 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe Side Dinette
Hi,

I bought a 2" memory foam mattress topper at Bed, Bath, and Beyond (made in the USA by Carpenter) for a full-size bed. I laid it out in the floor of my office to let it reform back into size after being squished in the box and to let it air out. I laid it out on Thursday and it is now Saturday. It has grown only to 50" x 72" while a full-size bed is 54" x 76". The bed in my 16" Scamp side-dinette deluxe is about 54" x 75". For those of you who have had these, how long does it take to grow to "full-size"? Is there something I am supposed to be doing?

Thanks for any advice,

John
John Blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:50 PM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I have a full size one from Costco that didn't take any time to fill to full size, only thickness took longer.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 01:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I bought mine from Overstock.com and it took 3-4 days to finish "growing."
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 02:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
John,

Most of the mattress toppers are cut smaller than the actual measurements of the bed to allow for the sheets to wrap around the mattress. The manufacturers assume that people do not sleep right out to the very edge of the mattress. Yours may now be as large as it is going to get.

Vivian
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
All I know is I let my topper "grow" for 36 hours or so, "fluffing" it twice during that timespan, then trimmed it to fit the foam we'd cut to match our loft contours. At 36 hours it was a 1/2" shy of the (untrimmed) sides. A week later I had to trim it again; it had grown and filled out to the sides of the foam base and the bottom edge needed to be trimmed again.

--P
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:28 PM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
The manufacturers assume that people do not sleep right out to the very edge of the mattress
obviously, they have never heard of a "dog".....
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:31 PM   #7

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
obviously, they have never heard of a "dog".....
Gina, are you saying that YOU sleep at the edge of the mattress because the dogs are in the center of it?

Hmm... So do I for that matter...

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 11:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot
Hi John,

I bought mine from Costco and it took only a few hours to expand but Vivian is right. It was smaller than the standard size. I had to get the size larger and trim it in order to have it cover to the edges.

Good luck!
Charlene
Charlene Urso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:31 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Candi Woods
For those of you who have had these, how long does it take to grow to "full-size"? Is there something I am supposed to be doing?

Just add water and a little fertilizer?
Candi Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:24 PM   #10

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
no no no..,

thats the Chia topper.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:15 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Candi Woods
Quote:
no no no..,

thats the Chia topper.
Yeah! That's great! And, I actually remember getting a chia when I was a kid. They're still around.

Really, I just got a memory foam mattress for our scamp and it took days to finally fill out. I set it on the bed and then marked and trimmed the corners to fit the curve. I thought it looked a little small but didn't think much of it. I just went back today, a few days later, and I'm going to have to mark and trim it all over again, it had grown several inches more.

Great stuff. My kids are wanting me to make one for their bed, also. I'm thinking that I'm old enough to afford it and old enough to need it. They're not cheap. I camped on the ground for years and they have a mattress. I'll think they'll be fine without it.
Candi Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:38 PM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
I just went shopping today for a memory foam mattress. Oddly enough, different manufacturers had different dimensions for "full-size". Sears and JC Penney versions were 50" wide. I would have had to buy a queen size and trim it. Others, including the one I ended up buying at Sams Club, were 54" wide for full-size. I am letting it "grow" now and it has already reached full dimension in a couple of hours. But one edge is still squashed and appears it will take awhile. By the way, if anyone is interested, the one I bought at Sams was three inches thick and it was $109. The full-size at Sears cost $90 but was only 1.5' thick. Penneys had a full-size that was 2" thick for $149. The one at Wally World was pretty thin and low density, so I don't remember the price.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 06:10 PM   #13

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Ok, we got one of these, but haven't set it out to grow yet or trim it.
So once it grows and gets trimmed how do you get it small again and where do you put it when you need the table back up?
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:17 AM   #14

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
Quote:
Ok, we got one of these, but haven't set it out to grow yet or trim it.
So once it grows and gets trimmed how do you get it small again and where do you put it when you need the table back up?
You won't get it as small ever again unless you have a large vacuum sealer like the factory. Even if you did, you wouldn't want to go through this process every day. Without a permanent bed set-up in a 13 footer, you will probably have to roll it up and stash it in the vehicle when you are not using it. That is what we did when we had our Scamp. I got a couple of buckle straps to keep the roll tight and to use as carry handles.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote