Maxxfan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2007, 05:29 PM   #1

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Before we embark on one of those long cross-country camping trips I'd like to get an update from those who have installed a MaxxFan.

We have a FantasticFan which works fine, but the very useful rain cover over it is decidedly oversized and probably acts a bit like a small anchor at 60mph. I'm considering hoarding my shekels for a Maxxfan and selling my current fan as part of a quest to lower airdrag (goes along with the goal of lowering weight). Comments on the product?
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:12 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I don't claim to have a lot of experience with my MaxxFan (the biggest problem with my Boler is getting a chance to get it out of the driveway...) and I've never used a Fantastic Fan, but for what it's worth...

I found the installation straightforward, and I noticed in the MaxxFan design the mounting flange is installed, then the fan unit is placed into it. This meant I could do some of the installation work standing on a stool in the trailer, with my body poking up through the vent opening. Since the B1700 is wide (a long reach from a ladder beside the trailer) and the fiberglass shell isn't a good place to plant your weight, this was handy. It also means that the fan could be readily removed for repair without disturbing the flange-to-trailer seal.

I did need to build a spacer because it is designed for a minimum roof thickness of over an inch, and does not have a thin-roof (or high mount, or whatever they call it) option like Fantastic Fan.

I have not had any problems with water coming in, either with the vent open or closed. I have towed with it open in some rain.

The unit works as advertised, seems decently quiet (we have used it primarily on the lowest of its three speeds), and has not had any problems.

I also caught the open hood on a cable stretched across my driveway while backing into place (forgot to take down the dog run...) and applied quite a bit of force before I saw the taut cable, with no damage to the vent, so it must be decently strong. I'm not suggesting this as a test...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:09 AM   #3

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I installed one in our Scamp early last summer, using the original vent orifice. Since we are not tall, I added the spacer to the inside. Along with the installation I also added a beam supported by wooden supports from the lower to upper cabinets.

The fan is very quiet on the lower settings and sets up quite a breeze on the higher. For cooking, we open the window behind the range and set the fan to blow inward.

For cooling, especially when sleeping we set it to blow outward.

Current draw is negligilble especially at low speed.

Since we travel with a cat it keeps the trailer comfortable if we stop for awhile during the day.

I have had the top raise up while towing. If I close it tightly this doesn't usually occur. Some day I may get ambitious and make a positive way to lock it closed. It doesn't hurt anything if it opens, but I would rather it stayed closed.

Would I buy it again? Probably. However, I would also seriously consider the small 12 volt box fan that is quite a bit less and appears to have the same fan set-up. It may be possible to install one of these under the original vent, or perhaps in a window.

Hope this helps in making your decision. In our case, cost was no great consideration. We wanted the best fan setup and the Maxair fit the bill.

Loren
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:08 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Per, have you found a Maxxfan at a good price locally....I mean here in the Portland area. RV Parts Outlet typically gets most of my business, but they don't have the Maxxfan listed on their site. Have to admit, I haven't called them tho.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:35 AM   #5

Registry
Donna:

Neither RV Parts Outlet nor Curtis trailers seem to stock these, but I found them at www.rvupgradestore.com. They even stock the 5500 model (OEM, not usually available) which may be the one for me (since snaking the wiring is a cinch in the Burro). Pricey items; it'll take me a long time to get mentally prepared for this purchase.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:39 AM   #6

Registry
Brian and Loren:

Thanks for your input! In addition to the wind-catching profile of my current cover it inhibits the fan airflow to a significant degree, and the motor is therefore also forced to work extra hard and the fan cover cannot open all the way.

This could be a better solution.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:47 PM   #7

Trailer: 2000 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe ('Millenium Eggloo')
Hi Per, if your fantastic fan is working well but you want a more streamlined cover for it, mybe you might want to check out this cover made by Camco

You will sure save a lot of $$ for some extra fuel to travel further and a few extra nights out!
Charlie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:46 AM   #8

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Per, we installed the MaxxFan over the rear berth in our S16' Scamp last Spring and have found it to be one of our better mods. IIRC, it took us somewhere around two hours to cut the hole, install the fan and run the wiring. Since you're considering replacing an existing unit, the process should be even quicker and simpler.

As mentioned by Brian, the stock design requires a spacer but, to avoid this, I cut the downward protruding edge with my dremel so it was flush with the rat fur. The interior trim ring was installed by drilling holes in each corner and through bolting it to the exterior flange. Gray mastic tape putty was used between the roof and the upper flange along with a generous dollop of caulking in each mounting hole. I used stainless steel machine screws, washers and nuts (#8 I think) throughout. We also added the MaxAir window vents at this time and I'd highly recommend them as well if you camp when and where rain is likely.

We were caught in a summer storm at Ocracoke with heavy rain and winds so high the ferry runs were cancelled. It was still quite hot though and we had the fan running on medium all night. Nary a leak but, in retrospect, I should have had it on exhaust rather than intake as everything inside was covered with a fine layer of beach sand the next AM.

Although we have a EU3000 Honda mounted on the tongue and usually camp at dispersed sites where running it all night to power the AC would not be an issue, my wife and I both prefer the fan unless its extremely hot.

This site http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog/searc...arch&page=1 had the best pricing I found at the time but I don't know if the series you're looking for is available or as competitive.

If your trip takes you to the southeast, don't miss our NC Outer Banks. Great place to visit.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:58 AM   #9

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft
Another testimonial for the MaxxFan-- This may be close to a perfect product. It just couldn't look or work better. When closed, it's sleek and tidy. Mounted dead center on my 16" Scamp, it seems to have less than zero wind resistance. It's in a low pressure area; that's why it gets sucked partially open during transit, (if you lost or threw away the little clip they supply to secure it closed). It's designed like a snorkel, with the open area facing downwards, so it's very unlikely that any rain can blow in. I leave mine open all summer to cool the egg, and I never have to worry when an afternoon shower comes by. Isn't that superior to some "auto-closing" feature? And, of course, it's perfectly usable in the rain.

The Fantastic Fan seems to have the most fans, but I'm glad I chose the MaxxFan instead.
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:21 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Another testimonial for the MaxxFan-- This may be close to a perfect product. It just couldn't look or work better. When closed, it's sleek and tidy. Mounted dead center on my 16" Scamp, it seems to have less than zero wind resistance. It's in a low pressure area; that's why it gets sucked partially open during transit, (if you lost or threw away the little clip they supply to secure it closed). It's designed like a snorkel, with the open area facing downwards, so it's very unlikely that any rain can blow in. I leave mine open all summer to cool the egg, and I never have to worry when an afternoon shower comes by. Isn't that superior to some "auto-closing" feature? And, of course, it's perfectly usable in the rain.

The Fantastic Fan seems to have the most fans, but I'm glad I chose the MaxxFan instead.

Is it quiet? I have heard the Maxx turbo fan is quieter.

Bill
William Fann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:02 PM   #11

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
Quote:
Is it quiet? I have heard the Maxx turbo fan is quieter.
Bill
For those who don't want to go a lot of expense or time right now, I have seen 12 v. reversible computer muffin fans attached inside a regular roof vent. Run the wires from somewhere close. Just having a MaxxAir cover over your muffin fan powered vent makes all the difference for when it is raining, and steamy hot.
Just my tuppence (2 cents in Brit). Penny
Penny Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:43 PM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17G) / Chevy Astro AWD
Quote:
Before we embark on one of those long cross-country camping trips I'd like to get an update from those who have installed a MaxxFan.

We have a FantasticFan which works fine, but the very useful rain cover over it is decidedly oversized and probably acts a bit like a small anchor at 60mph. I'm considering hoarding my shekels for a Maxxfan and selling my current fan as part of a quest to lower airdrag (goes along with the goal of lowering weight). Comments on the product?
Early last summer, I installed a Maxxfan in the Bigfoot. I left it open all summer, day and night, rain or shine. Never had a drop of water on the floor. I think it's the best fan for a travel trailer, plain and simple. Much better than a Maxxair or a fantastic fan IMHO. And believe me.. This thing moves a lot of air!!

Yves.
Yves Pelchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:13 AM   #13

Registry
Thanks very much for the all the input. It is likely to be a real improvement, but I have to let it simmer in my head until there is a way to justify the sizable hit to our bank account..

Guess I better find some more "stuff" to sell on Ebay to make the hit seem less drastic. On the other hand, nothing is too good for our friend the Burro.