MaxxFan Deluxe Location - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2021, 09:31 AM   #1

Name: Courtney
Trailer: 1982 13ft Scamp purchased on May 2nd
Georgia
MaxxFan Deluxe Location

Installing a new MaxxAir Deluxe fan in my ‘77 Scamp. Ideally I would like to expand the existing 9” vent hole to accommodate it so I can avoid making addition holes in the fiberglass; however, the current vent is not centered in the middle of the roof/ceiling. This would result in the MaxxAir being mounted at an angle instead. Would this be okay? Most concern with leaks resulting from this orientation. Don’t want to take in water while driving down the road in a rainstorm nor be unable to use it while camping in the rain—would defeat the purpose![ATTACH]Off-centered Vent [/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7455.JPG  
courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 09:43 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I dont see where being off center would in any way cause a leak. As long as its installed right it should be fine. Scamp installs the VentAir powered fan for the side bathroom, which is very much off center - in the lowered side of the port side roof. BTW, I don't think I have ever seen a roof vent on the side like that. I wonder if an owner did it.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:51 PM   #3

Name: Bob & Jackie
Trailer: 13' Scamp, 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
Max Air Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney View Post
Installing a new MaxxAir Deluxe fan in my ‘77 Scamp. Ideally I would like to expand the existing 9” vent hole to accommodate it so I can avoid making addition holes in the fiberglass; however, the current vent is not centered in the middle of the roof/ceiling. This would result in the MaxxAir being mounted at an angle instead. Would this be okay? Most concern with leaks resulting from this orientation. Don’t want to take in water while driving down the road in a rainstorm nor be unable to use it while camping in the rain—would defeat the purpose![ATTACH]Off-centered Vent [/ATTACH]
Hi Courtney,
We installed one further forward than the stock fan on our 2003 Scamp. I bought the fan from Scamp so that the frame would be the right depth.
Bob C
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6535.jpg  
Bob & Jackie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 08:02 AM   #4

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob & Jackie C View Post
Hi Courtney,

We installed one further forward than the stock fan on our 2003 Scamp. I bought the fan from Scamp so that the frame would be the right depth.

Bob C

My concern is that it will be tilted sideways about 10 degrees.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:37 AM   #5

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
I installed one in the normal location about 10 years ago and it's been just fine so far.

I built a stand to get the controls up higher than the inside ceiling so I don't knock my head on them.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6356.jpg  
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:51 AM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
When I installed a Fantastic Fan on my Trillium, the vent hole was forward of center. This meant it was tilted forward at least 10°. No problem.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 10:52 AM   #7

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post
I installed one in the normal location about 10 years ago and it's been just fine so far.

I built a stand to get the controls up higher than the inside ceiling so I don't knock my head on them.

Yes! This is how mine will be situated. You don’t have leaks?
Old 07-20-2021, 11:26 AM   #8

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney View Post
Yes! This is how mine will be situated. You don’t have leaks?
I use silicone rubber as a sealant, so of course it leaks. :-)

Well, after eight years, it started leaking, so I cut off the old sealant, squirted more on and it's fine again for a while.

People who know what they are doing use some kind of tape which is supposedly much better than silicone rubber sealant. I'm sure there are hundreds of "How do I seal this" threads in the forum.

I don't think the angle has much to do with leaks however, so if you're better than I at installing things, I think you can make it leak-free.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 05:34 PM   #9

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
A complete fan should be installed with a layer of Dicor butyl tape on the bottom of the mating surface. 85% of it will ooze out when you screw it down. Screw it down snugly, wait an hour or so, tighten it some more, wait a while, till all of the excess seems to be out. Scrape off the excess and mask the area so you don't make a big mess and use Dicor self leveling sealant to cover the edge of the flange for 3/4 in or so out to the tape, and onto the frame of the fan a like amount and be sure and cover the screw heads. Do this properly and it won't leak. Check sealant in two years or so and if it looks cracked, SCRAPE IT OFF, and do it again, don't just keep recoating the old stuff.

Also, be aware that Maxxfans seem to have a problem with voltages over 14 volts. Many new multistage power converters go to 14.3 to 14.6 volts on the bulk charge and I have read a number of complaints that the Maxxfan burned up or quit working shortly after installing a new power converter, or that the fan quit shortly after installation. Not sure why these fans are made with such strict voltage limits, but they do fail and many people have resorted to installing a cigarette pack sized buck/boost power unit to make a steady 12volts for the fan. These are installed in the fan circuit and you buy one with an amp capability somewhat over the fan's draw of 8 amps. One guy on the Escape forum has detailed this in a post he did.

Charles
Old 07-21-2021, 11:13 AM   #10

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
A complete fan should be installed with a layer of Dicor butyl tape on the bottom of the mating surface. 85% of it will ooze out when you screw it down. Screw it down snugly, wait an hour or so, tighten it some more, wait a while, till all of the excess seems to be out. Scrape off the excess and mask the area so you don't make a big mess and use Dicor self leveling sealant to cover the edge of the flange for 3/4 in or so out to the tape, and onto the frame of the fan a like amount and be sure and cover the screw heads. Do this properly and it won't leak. Check sealant in two years or so and if it looks cracked, SCRAPE IT OFF, and do it again, don't just keep recoating the old stuff.

Also, be aware that Maxxfans seem to have a problem with voltages over 14 volts. Many new multistage power converters go to 14.3 to 14.6 volts on the bulk charge and I have read a number of complaints that the Maxxfan burned up or quit working shortly after installing a new power converter, or that the fan quit shortly after installation. Not sure why these fans are made with such strict voltage limits, but they do fail and many people have resorted to installing a cigarette pack sized buck/boost power unit to make a steady 12volts for the fan. These are installed in the fan circuit and you buy one with an amp capability somewhat over the fan's draw of 8 amps. One guy on the Escape forum has detailed this in a post he did.

Charles

Thanks for the tip!