MaxxFan Deluxe Location - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-18-2021, 09:31 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
courtney's Avatar
 
Name: Courtney
Trailer: 1982 13ft Scamp purchased on May 2nd
Georgia
Posts: 215
MaxxFan Deluxe Location

Installing a new MaxxAir Deluxe fan in my ‘77 Scamp. Ideally I would like to expand the existing 9” vent hole to accommodate it so I can avoid making addition holes in the fiberglass; however, the current vent is not centered in the middle of the roof/ceiling. This would result in the MaxxAir being mounted at an angle instead. Would this be okay? Most concern with leaks resulting from this orientation. Don’t want to take in water while driving down the road in a rainstorm nor be unable to use it while camping in the rain—would defeat the purpose![ATTACH]Off-centered Vent [/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7455.JPG  
courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 09:43 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Posts: 4,794
I dont see where being off center would in any way cause a leak. As long as its installed right it should be fine. Scamp installs the VentAir powered fan for the side bathroom, which is very much off center - in the lowered side of the port side roof. BTW, I don't think I have ever seen a roof vent on the side like that. I wonder if an owner did it.
gordon2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:51 PM   #3
Member
 
Name: Bob & Jackie
Trailer: 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
Posts: 98
Max Air Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney View Post
Installing a new MaxxAir Deluxe fan in my ‘77 Scamp. Ideally I would like to expand the existing 9” vent hole to accommodate it so I can avoid making addition holes in the fiberglass; however, the current vent is not centered in the middle of the roof/ceiling. This would result in the MaxxAir being mounted at an angle instead. Would this be okay? Most concern with leaks resulting from this orientation. Don’t want to take in water while driving down the road in a rainstorm nor be unable to use it while camping in the rain—would defeat the purpose![ATTACH]Off-centered Vent [/ATTACH]
Hi Courtney,
We installed one further forward than the stock fan on our 2003 Scamp. I bought the fan from Scamp so that the frame would be the right depth.
Bob C
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6535.jpg  
Bob & Jackie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 08:02 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
courtney's Avatar
 
Name: Courtney
Trailer: 1982 13ft Scamp purchased on May 2nd
Georgia
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob & Jackie C View Post
Hi Courtney,

We installed one further forward than the stock fan on our 2003 Scamp. I bought the fan from Scamp so that the frame would be the right depth.

Bob C


My concern is that it will be tilted sideways about 10 degrees.
courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 08:37 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: Scamp
Massachusetts
Posts: 303
I installed one in the normal location about 10 years ago and it's been just fine so far.

I built a stand to get the controls up higher than the inside ceiling so I don't knock my head on them.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6356.jpg  
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:51 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
David Tilston's Avatar
 
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Posts: 6,169
Registry
When I installed a Fantastic Fan on my Trillium, the vent hole was forward of center. This meant it was tilted forward at least 10°. No problem.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 10:52 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
courtney's Avatar
 
Name: Courtney
Trailer: 1982 13ft Scamp purchased on May 2nd
Georgia
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post
I installed one in the normal location about 10 years ago and it's been just fine so far.



I built a stand to get the controls up higher than the inside ceiling so I don't knock my head on them.


Yes! This is how mine will be situated. You don’t have leaks?
courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 11:26 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: Scamp
Massachusetts
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney View Post
Yes! This is how mine will be situated. You don’t have leaks?
I use silicone rubber as a sealant, so of course it leaks. :-)

Well, after eight years, it started leaking, so I cut off the old sealant, squirted more on and it's fine again for a while.

People who know what they are doing use some kind of tape which is supposedly much better than silicone rubber sealant. I'm sure there are hundreds of "How do I seal this" threads in the forum.

I don't think the angle has much to do with leaks however, so if you're better than I at installing things, I think you can make it leak-free.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 05:34 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Posts: 119
A complete fan should be installed with a layer of Dicor butyl tape on the bottom of the mating surface. 85% of it will ooze out when you screw it down. Screw it down snugly, wait an hour or so, tighten it some more, wait a while, till all of the excess seems to be out. Scrape off the excess and mask the area so you don't make a big mess and use Dicor self leveling sealant to cover the edge of the flange for 3/4 in or so out to the tape, and onto the frame of the fan a like amount and be sure and cover the screw heads. Do this properly and it won't leak. Check sealant in two years or so and if it looks cracked, SCRAPE IT OFF, and do it again, don't just keep recoating the old stuff.

Also, be aware that Maxxfans seem to have a problem with voltages over 14 volts. Many new multistage power converters go to 14.3 to 14.6 volts on the bulk charge and I have read a number of complaints that the Maxxfan burned up or quit working shortly after installing a new power converter, or that the fan quit shortly after installation. Not sure why these fans are made with such strict voltage limits, but they do fail and many people have resorted to installing a cigarette pack sized buck/boost power unit to make a steady 12volts for the fan. These are installed in the fan circuit and you buy one with an amp capability somewhat over the fan's draw of 8 amps. One guy on the Escape forum has detailed this in a post he did.

Charles
__________________
'03 Ram 2500 CTD and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 11:13 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
courtney's Avatar
 
Name: Courtney
Trailer: 1982 13ft Scamp purchased on May 2nd
Georgia
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
A complete fan should be installed with a layer of Dicor butyl tape on the bottom of the mating surface. 85% of it will ooze out when you screw it down. Screw it down snugly, wait an hour or so, tighten it some more, wait a while, till all of the excess seems to be out. Scrape off the excess and mask the area so you don't make a big mess and use Dicor self leveling sealant to cover the edge of the flange for 3/4 in or so out to the tape, and onto the frame of the fan a like amount and be sure and cover the screw heads. Do this properly and it won't leak. Check sealant in two years or so and if it looks cracked, SCRAPE IT OFF, and do it again, don't just keep recoating the old stuff.

Also, be aware that Maxxfans seem to have a problem with voltages over 14 volts. Many new multistage power converters go to 14.3 to 14.6 volts on the bulk charge and I have read a number of complaints that the Maxxfan burned up or quit working shortly after installing a new power converter, or that the fan quit shortly after installation. Not sure why these fans are made with such strict voltage limits, but they do fail and many people have resorted to installing a cigarette pack sized buck/boost power unit to make a steady 12volts for the fan. These are installed in the fan circuit and you buy one with an amp capability somewhat over the fan's draw of 8 amps. One guy on the Escape forum has detailed this in a post he did.

Charles


Thanks for the tip!
courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MaxxFan Deluxe Current drain John in Santa Cruz Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 7 08-29-2018 11:07 AM
Maxxfan Deluxe power closing John in Santa Cruz Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 7 07-25-2018 07:29 PM
Maxxfan Per Walthinsen Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 12 02-03-2007 12:13 AM
Maxxfan from Maxxair Yves Pelchat Modifications, Alterations and Updates 4 06-18-2006 11:57 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.