Maxxfan on Scamp shutting down - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2024, 11:23 AM   #1

Name: George
Trailer: Scamp 13 '
OH
Maxxfan on Scamp shutting down

I am sure others have had this problem, because I see a lot of youtube videos on it. But I need help with where to start.

My Maxxfan on my 2019 Scamp 13' worked fine until this spring. Now it does the start up/beep six times/shut down/green light stays on routine. I wrote Scamp and Maxxfan, neither has responded. Can anyone give me a step by step approach to this?

Thanks, this forum has helped me a lot in the past.
Doc Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 04:46 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
PCB

The printed circuit board is known to fail on the older models for a variety of reasons. What year is your scamp? Over voltage is one point of failure. Did you install a lithium battery? Solar panels? Moisture damage due to condensation is another known point of failure. You can remove the PCB and look for corrosion. Sometimes that can be cleaned and a moisture barrier painted on. Guides for this are in the videos on line and here on this board, you can search for that information. Both of these issue have apparently been addressed in the newer fans. Then there are the mysterious random failures. I think most people with the symptoms you describe have ended up replacing the printed circuit board. They are available from e-trailer and other venders. There are other possibilities than the PCB. Other people may jump in and offer more suggestions. And as you state many video and on line discussions of this problem. The fan is a fairly simple device so if you are inclined to do it yourself maintenance donít be afraid to open it up and look around
John DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 05:54 AM   #3

Name: George
Trailer: Scamp 13 '
OH
Thanks John DL. It is a 2019, no lithium battery or solar panels. I'll pull it off and take a look.
Doc Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 12:00 PM   #4

Name: Josh
Trailer: 74, 13' Boler
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Wood View Post
I am sure others have had this problem, because I see a lot of youtube videos on it. But I need help with where to start.

My Maxxfan on my 2019 Scamp 13' worked fine until this spring. Now it does the start up/beep six times/shut down/green light stays on routine. I wrote Scamp and Maxxfan, neither has responded. Can anyone give me a step by step approach to this?

I had a problem with our maxxfan causing the Renogy charge controller to sense a dead short circuit and shut the whole charging system down, it was intermittent and seemed to be a problem with the Renogy Rover. A thread here suggested that the maxxfan when powered by a LifePo4 battery draws too much current at times. The fix was to buy and install a voltage regulator in the power feed to the fan and it seems to have solved the problem completely. The fix was cheap but labour intensive and required cutting and splicing wires, and then tucking the small dc voltage regulator inside the fan housing.

I'll see if I can find the thread on here detailing the fix for reference.
Josh Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 05:10 PM   #5

Name: Scampgrounds
Trailer: Scamp
Ca
Maxx Fan Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Wood View Post

I wrote an article and made a video on a potential fix in installing a voltage regulator. Please see:

https://scampgrounds.com/how-to-stop...g-solar-power/
Gavin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp