May be losing my mind - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2019, 03:01 PM   #1

Name: Shaun
Trailer: 92 casita freedom 16
Utah
May be losing my mind

We have had a spell of freakishly unseasonably cold weather so I decided to go ahead and empty out the water tanks and start winterizing. I started to drain the fresh water tank and nothing came out. I was worried I had a frozen line but then it seemed that there was no water in the tank.

I'm almost positive that there was 6 gallons or so in there last time I checked. I'm just wondering if that much water leaked out is it possible that it somehow sneaked to the bottom of the casita without me noticing? I guess it is possible that there was far less water in the tank than I thought, or at least I hope that is the case.

The other question I have is if anyone can tell me how to trace the water lines from the shower and toilet back to the tanks so I can see if there are any leaks.

This is one time where I kind of hope I am losing my mind and just thought I had a bunch of water in the tank when it was actually empty.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.
Swmalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:10 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I call Casita's design a bathtub. If you get an inside leak, the fiberglass outer layer under the floor traps it and rots out the OSB flooring. They have changed the design over the years, the older ones have the least amount of protection for the wood in the floor. Plumbing is some type of vinyl tubing. I'd change out to PEX.

If you do get a leak, the carpet will be wet.

The Scamp design by comparison with no outer fiberglass under the floor, at least the wood has a chance to dry out. And rot can be spotted pretty easily.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:17 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Mud wasps can plug the end of your water drain tube. Get under the trailer with a piece of stiff wire and probe the tube.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:20 AM   #4

Utah
Thanks for the info. There has been in a soft spot in the floor since we bought the trailer but we have just dealt with it. I'm not quite ready to rip the floor apart. I looked at the water lines and it looks like a mix of the vinyl and pex. We haven't noticed any obviously wet spot on the carpet.

I don't plan to put more water in this year so when we add water next year we will definitely keep an eye out for leaks.

Just another question how much water is it possible to lose out of these systems to evaporation? The trailer sits in the hot Utah sun all summer. The water heater was still full but that seems like a possibly more closed off system.

We have been so focused on getting all of the rivets and outside sources of water infiltration taken care of that I didn't even consider the inside plumbing.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:04 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler
Registry
I went to drain my Bigfoot once and nothing came out. I new I wasn't losing my mind because that happened a long time ago. Went inside and could see there was water in the tank. Had to clear out the drain tube as it was plugged.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:55 PM   #6

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Arthurs View Post
I went to drain my Bigfoot once and nothing came out. I new I wasn't losing my mind because that happened a long time ago. Went inside and could see there was water in the tank. Had to clear out the drain tube as it was plugged.
Mine has a spigot and I opened that and when nothing came on I went in and turned on the pump and a faucet and got a little water then air. So pretty sure the tank was actually empty. I do have the overflow tube that I keep an eye on for wasp nests.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:36 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Swmalone... Of all the things I've lost in life... I miss my mind the most!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:09 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
I lost my mind a long time ago, but one way to verify a leak would be to put in 5 gallons, turn on the water pump to pressurize the system and see if the pump runs occasionally (with all the faucets shut). If it's not losing pressure the pump won't run.

Of course if you're winterizing you might wait until spring
Old 10-01-2019, 04:43 PM   #9

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Just a thought: have you asked your spouse? Mine might well have gone out and drained it, finding the weather getting too cold, and not mentioned it yet. Not betting on that solution, but it's possible.

Not with us--I don't drain lines and Peanut hasn't got any plumbing--but some people and trailers are much better equipped.

BEST
"K"
Old 10-01-2019, 07:03 PM   #10

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swmalone View Post
We have had a spell of freakishly unseasonably cold weather so I decided to go ahead and empty out the water tanks and start winterizing. I started to drain the fresh water tank and nothing came out. I was worried I had a frozen line but then it seemed that there was no water in the tank.

I'm almost positive that there was 6 gallons or so in there last time I checked. I'm just wondering if that much water leaked out is it possible that it somehow sneaked to the bottom of the casita without me noticing? I guess it is possible that there was far less water in the tank than I thought, or at least I hope that is the case.

The other question I have is if anyone can tell me how to trace the water lines from the shower and toilet back to the tanks so I can see if there are any leaks.

This is one time where I kind of hope I am losing my mind and just thought I had a bunch of water in the tank when it was actually empty.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.
On a Casita you should have a cap on the end of your drain (unless someone has altered it) that comes out of the tank under the trailer on the side that the filler is on. Are you unscrewing the cap all the way off? That is the way to drain the fresh water tank. No you should not get that much evaporation. You should be able to see inside the tank either by opening the outside storage compartment door or removing the cushion and wood cover under it that is above the tank. Our 1987 and our 2007 have both been the same. The tank should be opaque so use a flash light to look at it and you should see the water line. This is how we look to see if we are out of water or need to fill up.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:39 AM   #11

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
“Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.”

― Mark Twain

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:47 AM   #12

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
water leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swmalone View Post
Thanks for the info. There has been in a soft spot in the floor since we bought the trailer but we have just dealt with it. I'm not quite ready to rip the floor apart. I looked at the water lines and it looks like a mix of the vinyl and pex. We haven't noticed any obviously wet spot on the carpet.

I don't plan to put more water in this year so when we add water next year we will definitely keep an eye out for leaks.

Just another question how much water is it possible to lose out of these systems to evaporation? The trailer sits in the hot Utah sun all summer. The water heater was still full but that seems like a possibly more closed off system.

We have been so focused on getting all of the rivets and outside sources of water infiltration taken care of that I didn't even consider the inside plumbing.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
WE had a fitting on the upstream side of the water pump in our Casita Independence 17' leak after 8 months [from build] last year..water ended up under the bunks in the rear..easy to find..fixed it w a screw driver on the pump line fitting.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:27 AM   #13

Trailer: U-Haul 13 ft ('Lil Eggo')
I would bet on a very slow leak - if you’ve got a soft spot chances are a leak has existed for a while - I’d fill And pressurize the system and check nearby (by touch - not by sight) for moisture. Also check around drains - may just be a bad gasket. Water can travel where you never expect, so check carefully. I’d Change out to PEX at any rate. If your soft spot is still viable - try GIT ROT - saved me from having to tear out a hard to get to spot.
Sharon W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:19 AM   #14

Name: Stephen
Tennessee
Lots of Preventable Problems

No aircraft has tankage that cannot be checked for quantity at least TWO ways. Trailers should be the same.

Winterizing destroys usability for months. All-season capability would allow you to winter camp, ski, snowshoe, ice skate and hike.
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:01 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Albers View Post
No aircraft has tankage that cannot be checked for quantity at least TWO ways. Trailers should be the same.

Winterizing destroys usability for months. All-season capability would allow you to winter camp, ski, snowshoe, ice skate and hike.
Still requires winterization if you store without the heat on. Floridians routinely burst pipes here in their four season rates homes from not winterizing before they return to FL in the winter.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:17 PM   #16

Utah
I found where the water went. The tube from the fresh water tank to the exterior faucet came loose from the faucet side. I will look into that GIT ROT for the soft spot. We really aren’t up to doing a floor replacement anytime soon, so if we can just keep it from getting worse we are willing to live with it for a while.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:27 PM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Albers View Post
No it doesn't. It just means you don't use the on-board fresh water. Jug water works just fine. Many people camp in the winter months successfully without the water system.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:33 PM   #18

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Donna D: absolutely. We camped every time without a water system, using bottled water. No long-term leaks, just take the jugs out before it starts freezing outside, voila.

KISS Keep it Simple, Sister!
Old 10-09-2019, 05:04 PM   #19

Registry
Yep this is season two for our Trillium with no winterization despite using it in the middle of winter last year. The secret? No water on board (its another project on the list).

Meanwhile I winterized the Escape 19 three times last winter...
Old 10-09-2019, 05:37 PM   #20

Utah
We will be using the casita when it is colder, but decided to winterize and carry jugs of water.