Melamine paint on elephant skin? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2016, 01:57 PM   #1

Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quebec
Melamine paint on elephant skin?

I stumbled on the following thread reading about cushions and upholstery. The third post states that melamine paint worked great on the ensolite. Really? Can anyone confirm or infirm? I have tons of melamine paint and that would save me an extra expense. I would think that melamine paint would not stay soft enough to be resiliant for the "give" it needs to have with the ensolite.

Any thoughts on that?

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ery-22485.html
Uncle Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:03 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Just use water base acrylic ,most melamine paints are oil based and the oders would remain for quite a while. I would also prime first with a water based killz or something simular.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Cereal View Post
I stumbled on the following thread reading about cushions and upholstery. The third post states that melamine paint worked great on the ensolite. Really? Can anyone confirm or infirm? I have tons of melamine paint and that would save me an extra expense. I would think that melamine paint would not stay soft enough to be resiliant for the "give" it needs to have with the ensolite.

Any thoughts on that?

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ery-22485.html
Hi: Uncle Cereal... I second the Acrylic Latex. We used top quality kitchen/bath on my brothers '72 Boler. Worked fine and I think more flexible too...
Now is not the time to use up old paint. It'll be a big mess if the melamine cracks and chips IMHO!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:43 PM   #4

Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quebec
My melamine paint is water based. No lingering smell.

It's brand new stuff that was given to me.

Maybe I'll try it somewhere under the benches... So far, I'm still thinking of using something else on the ensolite. After applying the proper primer, of course! (123 bullseyes zomething...)
Uncle Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint