memory foam mattress - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2016, 05:43 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
memory foam mattress

Has anyone tried to customize, that is, cut to size a memory foam mattress? Funny how my priorities have changed. A comfy mattress has moved up a few pegs!
John
Old 07-20-2016, 06:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Memory foam topper. It cut easy and is a dream to sleep on.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:54 PM   #3

Name: Bill
Trailer: Burro 1983 13'
Wisconsin
I used my cushions as a template
to get the corner curves. Cut the
3" topper with a serrated knife.
Can't say I'm in love with memory
foam but it helps.
Burro Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:09 PM   #4

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We knew the first night out that we HAD to have a cushie topper to soften those hard seat pads. A memory foam mattress topper from Target for about $30 did the trick. We cut ours to fit the whole width and then cut it in half lengthwise so each rolled up piece would fit through the bench hole for storage. I, the seamstress, covered each piece with 100% cotton jersey removable cover, like sleeping on a T-shirt! See my photo.

To see more detailed descriptions and photos of our bedding simply search on the "Search" button above and scroll down to "Search Site/Google" and put in the words "Gilda bedding" and you will be connected to my posts. If you would like more assistance please send me a PM, private message.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 023.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 022.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:03 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowwing View Post
Has anyone tried to customize, that is, cut to size a memory foam mattress? Funny how my priorities have changed. A comfy mattress has moved up a few pegs!
John
There is another thread here somewhere that someone did cut down a memory foam mattress to fit in a Scamp. It's also mentioned in the same thread that Southern Mattress has made one to fit a Scamp. We just bought, and had shipped to us, a Southern mattress for our Casita. You'll have to call them, Rocky Mount NC, their website is down.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:46 AM   #6

Minnesota
Once again....amazing help from the best group on the planet!
Thanks....
John
Old 07-21-2016, 09:10 AM   #7

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
I like to cut memory foam (or any foam, really) with an electric knife. Just like cutting butter!

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:39 AM   #8

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
California
I did! I bought a 10 inch from mattress from Walmart. It was shipped to my local store free shipping. It came in a box and required a rest period after unpacking. It came with an zipper knit cover, so I unzipped it, lay the curved cushions on top and drew the curve with a marker and used a electric knife to cut it, zipped the cover back on and put it in the trailer I LOVE it!
I think mine is foam with a thick memory foam topper, I bought it on sale so it was just about two hundred dollars. I sleep as comfortable on it as I do my 3000 buck select comfort and that is the truth! Lol...
Leej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:04 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
My trailer the previous owner had very nice seat pads are upholstered with rolled piping on the corners like you get with a sofa cushion. They were very supportive but the piping felt like you're sleeping on anchor chain. One night of that I knew something had to change. Bought a 3 inch memory foam topper and cut it down to fit the trailer. Life was good again. The one thing the topper made easier was putting on the bed sheets as it's easy to lift from the back and roll forward. Put the sheet on and roll the topper back in place. We leave the bed down all the time.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:16 AM   #10

Name: Charles
Trailer: Escape 21
Oregon
Cut down a Tempurpedic mattress

We had a Tempurpedic that was about 18 years old and needing replacement. I easily cut the 9" thick mattress with a large sharp knife. We made a couple of dog beds out of lightly used areas of the king size mattress when the new one arrived. Our Goldendoodle just loves them. We call them her temperpoodle beds.
Should be easy to cut down a mattress to fit an RV. Nice form fitting bedding might be the more challenging part.
CJ
CJ Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:03 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
We had a 2" foam pad made by a local mattress shop.
I made cardboard templates for the curved corners. They included the cotton cover. Once it went on the bed, it stayed there. With the Side Dinette we could leave the bed up full time.
But, now we have sold the Scamp, and are waiting for our new Queen size bed in a Parkliner. If you want to drive to Dubuque, we'll sell you the foam.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:05 PM   #12

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13' front bath
California
John, the wife and I just replaced the foam in our cushions. We went to upholstery fabric store and we bought a 4" thick sheet of cushion foam 7' x 4'. I don't know the density, but is softer than the original. We slept on the finished product last night and I can say it was a great improvement.

We removed the original foam from the cushions using a shop-vac. The foam is wrapped with a "silk film wrap". If you're very careful removing the foam you maybe able to reuse the "silk film". Don't let the zipper cut into the "silk film" like we did. Cut your foam to size using the old cushions as a pattern. An electric carving knife works well, but not like cutting butter (of course our knife was 50 years old). Wrap the new cushions in "silk film", suck the air out and slip them into your cushion and zip them up. Watching a u-tube video helps.

The foam sheet cost $70, 10 yds. of "silk film" cost $30, it can be purchased on sailrite.com. Haven't had that much fun for $100 in a long time, it's worth it.
robt-the-red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:24 PM   #13

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
We bought an 10" thick memory spa foam mattress from walmart and used an old electric carving knife bought at a Salvation Army thrift store.
Makes short work of the job.
Trace the pattern on the foam and hold the electric knife perpendicular to the mattress.
We make twins to fit in our remodeled 16' Scamp.
28" wide on each side.

redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:48 PM   #14

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Electric carving knife is definitely the best tool to use.....cuts like butter. Also.....check out IKEA mattresses. We bought a 4 3/4 inch one a few years ago....fits perfect in our Casita. Very comfortable. About $200. Good luck.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:08 AM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
The Original Mattress Factory will make a foam mattress to any size you want . A friend just took his cushions into them and they made a pattern and cut the foam mattress and mattress cover to match the pattern.
Cost was around $400 , not cheap but it fit perfectly .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:12 AM   #16

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I forgot to mention that we bought a Queen mattress and cut it into the two (narrow) twin mattresses for out Scamp.
If I had to do it over I would make the beds 30" instead of 28" and think more on how to get storages boxes under the street side one.
The driver's side is given over to the utilities like battery, Fresh water, Power, Hose reels etc.
The kitchen cabinets on the drivers side give a little longer bunk on this side.
The 24" refrigerator cabinet takes up a little more space on the other side so that bunk is 2" shorter. (my side of course)
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:58 PM   #17

Minnesota
As a follow up...I followed Mary and Bobs advice and checked into folks at Southern Mattress. They have a mattress that is custom made for 16 ft Scamps that is 75" x 45" with one side curved to fit 5 1/2" thick. Delivered to MN it is $762.08. They say everyone really likes them.
John
Old 07-22-2016, 03:20 PM   #18

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... We had a queen memo-foam mattress in our first 5.0 Escape. I'm sure it had an effect on my memory!!! I had a photographic memory... but my film card seems full!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:18 PM   #19

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowwing View Post
As a follow up...I followed Mary and Bobs advice and checked into folks at Southern Mattress. They have a mattress that is custom made for 16 ft Scamps that is 75" x 45" with one side curved to fit 5 1/2" thick. Delivered to MN it is $762.08. They say everyone really likes them.
John
The lady at Southern Mattress was so nice to deal with. We ordered it on a Monday, Tuesday she called and said it was done and would be shipped that day. Got it on Thursday. Had it shipped to a friends business so saved $100 by doing that. We bought it for our Casita SD, total with shipping to upstate NY was about $740. LOL, we have not slept on it yet, but it looks and feels good. The last two years we have slept in the Casita on 3" memory foam over the original cushions. The PO of our trailer had put it all in a futon mattress cover. We cut down that memory foam and cover and put it on a piece of 5" foam that was in our Uhaul. The Uhaul doesn't get used enough to justify the expense of a custom made mattress.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote