Metal Wheel for Bigfoot Hitch? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: 17ft Bigfoot trailer
British Columbia
Metal Wheel for Bigfoot Hitch?

Hello All,

Here's a question...

When I purchased my 86' 17 ft Bigfoot, the seller gave me a metal wheel and suggested that it was for attaching to the bottom of the hitch mechanism for moving by hand. I understand the concept but am wondering how one would attach it to the hitch, as the trailer is resting on the mechanism when not being towed and when attached to the tow vehicle, there isn't enough clearance to slide it on (it looks like it would hang down too far anyway).

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Bluebamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
I suspect it is to put onto the bottom of the tongue jack (and is only helpful for moving it around (Unhitched, of course) on HARD surfaces. It will, of course, instantly fall off when the trailer is hitched up and the tongue jack is retracted. (They never worked very well for me!)
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #3

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
I suspect it is to put onto the bottom of the tongue jack (and is only helpful for moving it around (Unhitched, of course) on HARD surfaces. It will, of course, instantly fall off when the trailer is hitched up and the tongue jack is retracted. (They never worked very well for me!)
Fair enough...That's sort of what I had figured. Thanks for the response BCDave.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:09 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
On our daughters popup to get the wheel on the tongue jack I have to crank the tongue way up off the ball, support it with an auto jack stand, then crank the jack up so there is enough clearance to get the wheel on. Or I could throw out my back and just pick up the tongue while someone sticks the wheel on. The popup has a pin that keeps the wheel on, our teardrop has a thumbscrew, and another trailer I have the wheel slides on and then twists to lock it in place. Tongue jacks are available in different extension lengths, you may be able to get one that has enough clearance to get the wheel on with the trailer on the tow vehicle ball.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:57 AM   #5

British Columbia
Thanks Mary & Bob. I thought I may be missing something but it seems I was correct in assuming that I'd need an addition jack to make it work. Thanks again.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Or higher ball mount, or drive the tow vehicle rear wheels up on some boards. But keep in mind that the trailer should set level or slightly low in the front when towing. I came up with the idea of a secondary tongue wheel for the daughters popup, crank the tongue off the ball, stick on the secondary wheel just rearward of the tongue jack, lower the tongue onto that wheel and push the trailer into position but I haven't perfected that design yet.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot