Mileage-maintenance tracking? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2006, 03:53 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Thumbs up

There are certain maintenance that should be done at given mileages. Bearing should be greased, brakes adjusted, etc. Also it's nice to log your trips. I know there's paper journals for logging, but I don't really like to use paper. Therefore I'm wondering if anybody is using a Palm PDA to log the trips your trailer takes? If so what software do you use.

I've found some automotive software for this purpose, but not RV.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
ours is usually a guesstimator type. we know how far we go on each trip and kind of add it up as we go. my wife makes an attempt at writing logs of each rip and it usually turns out to be in a small notebook that gets lost and a bunch of telephone notations written over the top of the log then it gets lost in one of the many junk drawers we have and on and on & on
Old 02-28-2006, 08:34 PM   #3

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
The small notebook which gets lost, etc. etc. is too familiar to me, so I needed something slightly different. I went to the local supermarket and got a medium-large 3-ring notebook with cloth covering and a zipper to close it up. It has several pockets, but I also added a couple kinds of 3-ring plastic pocket sleeves to hold appliance manuals, user's guides and so on.

This holds everything pertaining to the trailer, including technical data, replacement parts numbers, mileage logs, addresses/phone numbers, guarantee cards, you name it, all in one place.

It must have hit a sweet spot, because for nearly six years it has done its job of keeping all this stuff from getting lost. I always know where the trailer documents are. Works for me, your mileage and personal needs may vary..........
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 09:35 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
I didn't know I was required to keep a log. I thought it would be nice to do once and started with one entry. The log still has only one entry.

Am I brakeing any laws or being bad?

Curt
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 09:51 PM   #5

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
I didn't know I was required to keep a log. I thought it would be nice to do once and started with one entry. The log still has only one entry.

Am I brakeing any laws or being bad?

Curt

Oh No Curt......how ever do you know where you have been if you don't keep a log just think without a log you might just go to someplace you didn't like again . Just joking sometimes we keep a log sometimes not. One reason I do is to help remember events when I put all my pictures in my scrapbook. DH just does all the maintiance before and after every trip. We keep all reciptes( for tires & battiers etc) in the camper and check them at the beginning of each season. That way we keep every thing up to date . So logs are good for lots of things reminds you where you have been,work you've done on the camper and also helps remember all the wonderful people you met in your travels.Oh and we keep pictures of before & after mods in our log. Just a few reasons to keep a log...from Lynn M
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:23 AM   #6
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I devised a simple worksheet using Excel which I update at the end of each trip (most of the time). If nothing else, it keeps reminding me that I need to get out more! Last year was a very lean camping year and I am determined that this year will be better.

It not only does my calculations for me, it also gives me a place to note places/spots that I've stayed in that I would like to return to or other notable things.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:07 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I devised a simple worksheet using Excel which I update at the end of each trip (most of the time). If nothing else, it keeps reminding me that I need to get out more! Last year was a very lean camping year and I am determined that this year will be better.

It not only does my calculations for me, it also gives me a place to note places/spots that I've stayed in that I would like to return to or other notable things.

I'd thought about either an Excel spread sheet or an Access database. But I got lazy and wanted to see if could find a Palm database with a PC report application that was already developed.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:38 AM   #8

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hubodometer.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	1509

I won't recommend these people, but after 3 years the hub-odometer is working fine.

I have a three ring binder in which I keep a log. Mostly of campsites and people I meet. I insert camping pictures as well. When I repack the bearings or replace the battery I'll put them in there as well.

All I have on my pocket pc/phone is my camping check lists (ListPro).
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 01:53 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I document all of our trips with Microsoft Street and Trips. I preplan our route including refueling stops, overnight campgrounds, and shoping/sight seeing side excursions. If we do something not in the plan I revise MS&T to include them.

I include in the notes area of the fuel stops the MPG, cost per gallon and gallons used. When we return home, this info is exported to Excel to summarize the trip.

I also keep a Excel spread sheet of all the miles traveled (from MS&T), modifcations and repairs to the Casita. My intent is to provide this to the next owner as a demonstration of well we have cared for "The Eqq" while in our keeping
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 03:13 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Attachment 1509

I insert camping pictures as well. When I repack the bearings or replace the battery I'll put them in there as well.

Steve....it's going to get might tiresome carrying that log around with a battery in it.......
the pages will get a little messy with the old bearing grease as well......
william russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 05:11 PM   #11

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
We have always used a small sprial notebook (index cards). On this we keep how many miles driven, number of gallons, cost per gallon, and then I compute MPG. We have done this with every fill up since 1964. Hey, this is not my idea. It works out that however many lines are on the index card is about how often we need an oil change. So if one card gets completed without an oil change recorded it is time to get a change.

At one time my husband did keep this on a spreadsheet of some sort, but we returned to the small notebook.

My obsession is recording in another book where we go, what we do, how much we spend.

Nancy from MN
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 05:56 AM   #12

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I have a binder much like Per mentioned, pages are 5 x 8.

I made my own log sheets, double sided. I have the date, start & finish times and odometer reading at the top. In the center I log the campground, cost, site, what facilities and I rate it. Below that I have a comments section that I usually put names etc. of people I meet or a hilight of the trip. The bottom of the page has about 5 lines for the purpose of logging the gas fills, where, trip mileage, volumne, price and mph.

Something I like to know is how far it is from one place to another. While on a trip I periodically write the mileage from place to another down. When I get home I add it to a list. I've got the list in the binder broke down by regions. I use this list quite often when planning a trip. It gives me some semblance of what my trip might be like time and distance, wise.

I also have an 8 1/2 x 11 zippered binder with all the manuals for my Scamp, it's appliances and added equipment, plus toys. I keep a log with the dates of each trip, where to and mileage. The log has 2 columns with the trips are separated by year and I total the mileage for each year. This log gives me an "at a glance" mileage so I can quickly see that something may need to be done. On this log is where I enter the service information. I insert it chronologically, simply by stating the date, what was done, battery, tires, wheel bearings, etc.

Might seem like a lot of work but it really isn't.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 06:49 AM   #13

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Steve....it's going to get might tiresome carrying that log around with a battery in it.......
the pages will get a little messy with the old bearing grease as well......
Oops! Not as clearly stated as I would have hoped.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote