Mini Panel problem? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 85 Casita
Mini Panel problem?

I have a 1985 16' Casita. It is pristine. I haven't used it for almost two years, and I'm thinking of selling it. I went out to check out all the systems. I flipped the switch for the pump (for a second) and it ran. It is actuall a little over a year old, and I've never used it. I ran shore power to the Casita to run the AC,(God it's hot here) and continued checking items. I put water in the fresh water holding tank, flipped the switch for the pump, and it didn't work.
I checked all related fuses and they were fine. I bypassed the switch thinking there may be a problem there, and still nothing. I ran jumpers from the pump itself directly to the battery and it ran. I checked all wires and they are fine.
I did notice that the mini panel was hot. I mean to hold to hold. As I was looking for other suspects that might be related to this problem, the breaker on the mini panel tripped. I turned off the AC, let the mini panel cool, hit the breaker and had shore power again but it got very hot again. I don't have a multi meter, so that kind of limits me to testing, but I'm thinking there is a problem with the mini panel . The power comes into it, then out to the converter. Has anybody had a similar problem? Is there a solution to replacing the Mini panel.? I thought about putting a 20amp GFCI outlet there instead, thinking it has a built-in overload breaker. Would this work?
Answers, I need answers. Did I mention I'm selling it. Any interested parties can email me I suppose at psavas@earthlink.net. Just make sure you are clear in the subject matter, or I may not open it.
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S. View Post
I have a 1985 16' Casita. It is pristine. I haven't used it for almost two years, and I'm thinking of selling it. I went out to check out all the systems. I flipped the switch for the pump (for a second) and it ran. It is actuall a little over a year old, and I've never used it. I ran shore power to the Casita to run the AC,(God it's hot here) and continued checking items. I put water in the fresh water holding tank, flipped the switch for the pump, and it didn't work.
I checked all related fuses and they were fine. I bypassed the switch thinking there may be a problem there, and still nothing. I ran jumpers from the pump itself directly to the battery and it ran. I checked all wires and they are fine.
I did notice that the mini panel was hot. I mean to hold to hold. As I was looking for other suspects that might be related to this problem, the breaker on the mini panel tripped. I turned off the AC, let the mini panel cool, hit the breaker and had shore power again but it got very hot again. I don't have a multi meter, so that kind of limits me to testing, but I'm thinking there is a problem with the mini panel . The power comes into it, then out to the converter. Has anybody had a similar problem? Is there a solution to replacing the Mini panel.? I thought about putting a 20amp GFCI outlet there instead, thinking it has a built-in overload breaker. Would this work?
Answers, I need answers. Did I mention I'm selling it. Any interested parties can email me I suppose at psavas@earthlink.net. Just make sure you are clear in the subject matter, or I may not open it.
You don't say ... but did you turn on the water? ,was there water in it?
The pump quits when the water line is charged to pressure, could that be the problem?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:15 PM   #3

I had water in the fresh water tank, and in the lines hooked up to city water.As I stated in the beginning, one of the first things I did was flip the switch for for the pump. I started, and I flipped it off until I filled everything with water. Since my first post, I took the mini panel apart and noticed that two of the hot wires (wirenutted together) were melted down and fused to another hot wire. I cut the ends off the two that were tied together, restipped the ends and put them back together. My hope was that the exposed wire was creating a short. It didn't help. Still no power to the pump. Now I'm wondering if maybe the converter is screwed up.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
If you had city water in the lines you would have triggered the pressure switch to off. Like Floyd said turn on a water faucet with the pump in the on position.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S. View Post
I had water in the fresh water tank, and in the lines hooked up to city water.As I stated in the beginning, one of the first things I did was flip the switch for for the pump. I started, and I flipped it off until I filled everything with water. Since my first post, I took the mini panel apart and noticed that two of the hot wires (wirenutted together) were melted down and fused to another hot wire. I cut the ends off the two that were tied together, restipped the ends and put them back together. My hope was that the exposed wire was creating a short. It didn't help. Still no power to the pump. Now I'm wondering if maybe the converter is screwed up.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:39 PM   #5

I did turn on the faucet. Still no response from the pump. with, or without water in the system.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
did you by chance leave any water in the pump over a winter?
I left only a tiny bit but it was enough to seize my pump, and it locked it up tight.
disconnect the pump leads and put a 12 volt light across the wires, if you have power it should light up.
do you have a battery?
many new converter/chargers won't work if they don't see a battery

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #7

Thanks all for your help, and suggestions. I found the problem. It was an in line wire connector someone put on before the hot hot fuse block. Re-did it, now all is fine.