Missing block between trailer and floor - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-26-2018, 11:13 AM   #1

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Carefree
British Columbia
Missing block between trailer and floor

Hi All,

So of course AFTER buying our Carfree I noticed a bit of a lean to one side.

I noticed some fiberglass damage right above the driver's side "V" of the front of the trailer (before the tongue) where it runs under the trailer. Well the plywood floor has 2x4 blocks bolted in place between metal tabs (that the bolts go through) on the trailer frame and the underside of the plywood floor - except in one spot near the front on the driver's side. That of course is the side with the heavy (when full) grey and black tanks!

My concern is how to jack up the fiberglass and plywood that makes up the "shell" from the trailer frame without breaking any fiberglass or putting too much load on it or the plywood?

My initial thoughts are multiple jacks each with a block of wood between the jacks and the underside of the shell to spread the weight along the length of these blocks of wood. Of course some select locations that are 1) close enough to where I need to block and 2) not in a place likely to fail under load. I just need 2 inches of movement and I can whack a new block in place.

Figured I'd check and see how others would or have handled this sort of thing in case there is a better way!.

Thanks in advance

-Bryan
CarefreeLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 03:18 PM   #2

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 1989 Casita 16 footer
Tennessee
Shell to frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarefreeLad View Post
Hi All,

So of course AFTER buying our Carfree I noticed a bit of a lean to one side.

I noticed some fiberglass damage right above the driver's side "V" of the front of the trailer (before the tongue) where it runs under the trailer. Well the plywood floor has 2x4 blocks bolted in place between metal tabs (that the bolts go through) on the trailer frame and the underside of the plywood floor - except in one spot near the front on the driver's side. That of course is the side with the heavy (when full) grey and black tanks!

My concern is how to jack up the fiberglass and plywood that makes up the "shell" from the trailer frame without breaking any fiberglass or putting too much load on it or the plywood?

My initial thoughts are multiple jacks each with a block of wood between the jacks and the underside of the shell to spread the weight along the length of these blocks of wood. Of course some select locations that are 1) close enough to where I need to block and 2) not in a place likely to fail under load. I just need 2 inches of movement and I can whack a new block in place.

Figured I'd check and see how others would or have handled this sort of thing in case there is a better way!.

Thanks in advance

-Bryan
Casita has a steel angle iron going across.I have seen several photos of Casita's where the fiberglass haddropped almost an inch down over the V frame.
From what I've seen in Casita's-was the bathroom floor had rotten -then the weight of the shell would crack the fiberglass and wear into the frame from
Going down the road,bumps,etc.
Eddie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 05:36 PM   #3

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
First you didn't say how old your "carefree" is.

Second this web site is primarily a molded fiberglass trailer site. Therefore large stick built trailers have few if anybody here with experience with them.

I would suggest you look for a Carefree trailer forum site or call Carefree and ask them for advice.

I think you would be better served by someplace else.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:48 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
A google search brings up some Carefree fiberglass camper trailers made in Canada. Look to be about 13 or 14 feet in length. So maybe the OP does belong here.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:50 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...llo-52224.html

Looks like there was a fifth wheel, too.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:51 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...llo-52224.html

Looks like there was a fifth wheel, too.
Then we agree, Bryan, the original poster, does belong here
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:27 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:40 AM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
First you didn't say how old your "carefree" is.

Second this web site is primarily a molded fiberglass trailer site. Therefore large stick built trailers have few if anybody here with experience with them.

I would suggest you look for a Carefree trailer forum site or call Carefree and ask them for advice.

I think you would be better served by someplace else.

Thanks Byron,

Next time you feel you know better - maybe try some sleuthing before you tell me to take a hike All you had to do was click on my username and you'd have the info about my fiberglass molded trailer - including the age You now...or maybe ask me first if I have a fiberglass molded trailer before providing a helpful suggestion

I really appreciate the many helpful people here, please be one of them or maybe just keep it to yourself.

Take care Byron!
Old 10-09-2018, 05:49 PM   #9

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1999 Casita 17' SD
Ohio
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarefreeLad View Post
Thanks Byron,

Next time you feel you know better - maybe try some sleuthing before you tell me to take a hike All you had to do was click on my username and you'd have the info about my fiberglass molded trailer - including the age You now...or maybe ask me first if I have a fiberglass molded trailer before providing a helpful suggestion

I really appreciate the many helpful people here, please be one of them or maybe just keep it to yourself.

Take care Byron!
Byron.
Having been a member here for a long while I have to agree that some of your posts are best as I can describe are "harsh".

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:54 PM   #10

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I'd try to verify is a block missing or did someone add some blocks. Vintage trailers are well known for substandard frames.

There have been threads and some youtube videos on people jacking up the bodies of trailers and sliding out the frames. I would start there. Construction sounds similar to a Scamp. Is the trailer single wall or double? Fiberglass above, below, both or neither on the floor? Hopefully someone with a vintage Carefree will wade in with some useful advice!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:49 AM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I'd try to verify is a block missing or did someone add some blocks. Vintage trailers are well known for substandard frames.

There have been threads and some youtube videos on people jacking up the bodies of trailers and sliding out the frames. I would start there. Construction sounds similar to a Scamp. Is the trailer single wall or double? Fiberglass above, below, both or neither on the floor? Hopefully someone with a vintage Carefree will wade in with some useful advice!
Thanks Bill!

The blocks may very well have been added (this thing is built for offroad and has tonnes of clearance due to mods fro previous owners.

As to construction - not entirely sure as I haven't been i the walls yet. If I had to guess it is fiberglass on the outside, then some 2x2 wood framing then wood/paneled walls). I can say the underside is plywood and the bottom half of the fiberglass mould wraps under the trailer and coveres the outer edges around the whole bottom - about a foot under and then you see that bare plywood.

Doesn't really matter if the blocks were added - there is still one missing causing a pretty good lean .

I just need some free time and dry weather and I'll try setting up some kind of jacking system that will spread load (and not rely on a single jack). I can get an inch of lift by hand and that's almost half the thickness of the 2x4 block I'll need to get in place. I bet I can jack enough and haul out the sledge to persuade it into place without too much trouble.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:06 AM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I would make new block out of plywood and slice one side as a wedge and then seal the block. When cured drive the block in with a dead blow hammer. The wedge side will get you started.

My guess the blocks are made of one chunk of wood that split and fell out?
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote