Mobile Phone Plans for Travelers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2003, 01:28 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Mobile Phone Plans for Travelers

I was wondering what 'phone plans folks are using and how they are working for them.

My wife and I have an ATT plan that allows us a pretty large geographical area in which to call each other on our cells with no deduction of our alloted minutes or other charges. Then we have a good chunk of the NE (we're in PA) even up to and beyond Boston and below WashDC in our "prime calling area."

Just before my Dec trip to pick up the new Casita our phone company offered us a second 800 line for our house phone, in additon to my business line, so now when I'm far away on the road I can simply dial the 800 number from the cell phone. I still get nicked the roaming charge but don't have to pay for long-distance charges on top of it.

What's everybody else doing for phone service when away from home base?

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 01:45 PM   #2

funny you mention that

I just got my first cell phone. started with ATT. was working pretty good until I found it was long distance for the neighbor to call me as the phone was not based in my town, but 40 miles away. they couldn't just find me a number, so switched. I now have Celluler One. pay more, but they have what I want and need. my main problem is my house is at the very edge of everyones areas, so reception only worked with these two companies. My daughter( in Arkansas) has Cinguler and loves it, but has poor reception at our house. good rate though. So did I confuse you more?

Old 01-08-2003, 02:04 PM   #3

True Anywhere to Anywhere

Verizon, years ago, offered for a short period of time, true "anywhere to anywhere" long distance calling plans ... with no roaming or long distance charges ... from anywhere to anywhere inside the US.

In other words, if you got a cell phone signal, and could make a call, you never paid roaming or long distance.

We got two(2) cell phones under the true "anywhere to anywhere" plan and have kept them ever since.

Now all of the phone companies offer long distance "anywhere to anywhere on our NETWORK" plans ... which aren't as good as what we've got, because we often find ourselves off the major expressways, and as a result, off the grid for major cell phone companies and on Mom and Pop networks.

As long as we're within our minutes, we never pay long distance or roaming ... but I don't think the plan is available from anyone anymore.

I keep waiting for the cell phone company to call and cancel my program, because our contract expired long ago ... however, for the time being, they keep renewing it.

Old 01-08-2003, 03:19 PM   #4

verizon

I deepsixed my landline at home last year and got verizon's 'america's choice' plan which is local coast to coast with 400 peak minutes and 3000 nite/weekend minutes. I pay about $40/month but my employer is in the tower ownership/const business and i think I got a 12% discount.....

I do not regret telling Sprint to cancel my std phone service..........

Old 01-08-2003, 04:15 PM   #5

Cell Service

Charles;

Verizon offers a National Single Rate plan which includes 150 minutes for $35. No roaming, no domestic long distamce. Next level is 400 minutes for $55.
Alltel has a simular plan 200 minutes for $39.95 and 350 minutes for $49.95.
Both companies have a good level of service.

Old 01-08-2003, 04:33 PM   #6

Mobiles in Ireland

I wish US mobile carriers would adopt the Irish system! (But I ain't gonna hold my breath.) My Irish mobile is topped up by buying a card at any grocery or petrol stop. (No monthly bills!) I pay the equivalent of about .10 UScents per minute. I am NOT charged against my time is someone calls ME. I am NOT charged against my time if I call an 800 (called "freephone" over there) number. So I can call the MCI freephone number and dial my own US home number and talk to my wife for 9 cents a minute on evenings and weekends and about .16 otherwise. A good deal, I think.

Old 01-08-2003, 04:48 PM   #7

My mistake

My mistake ... all of the Verizon ads here say "America's Choice National One Rate" and the fine print says "when on the America's choice network" (which doesn't cover calling all the US).

I wasn't aware they still offered the true National One Rate plan ... but apparently they do.

If so, it's the only true "anywhere to anywhere" plan.

Don't get me wrong ... I'm happy with Verizon ... and am glad to hear they still offer the true "anywhere to anywhere" plan.

Thanks!

Robert ... in terms of "land-line" rates ... the best deal I know ... for calling in the states or abroad ... is the AT&T calling card sold at Sam's Warehouse Club. Call anywhere in the US for US 03.x cents a minute. Calling abroad costs a multiple unit charge ... but my son, for example, found the Sam's AT&T card was the cheapest for calling from the US to Poland ... and we use it to call from Canada to the US when we're up north.

Old 01-08-2003, 06:26 PM   #8

Charles,

I can't believe just how astute you are. :wiggly

I have exactly the same Verizon plan except mine is only 100 minutes AND I have the same calling card from AT&T. Grate things mine alike. :wave

I don't even have a long distance provider on my home phone. The Gore Tax ran my long distance bill up to almost $10 even when I didn't make any long distance calls.

My cell phone stays in the truck where I have it plugged in to a voice dialer, I've only exceeded the 100 minutes once in four years, then I paid 35¢ per minute (still no roaming or long distance charge).

Old 01-08-2003, 07:55 PM   #9

Hi All--My wife and I have two Cell Phones. I have mine in my truck for emergency only. I buy a $10.00 pay&talk card once a month. Know one has this number other than my wife.
My wife has a monthly fee cell phone. This phone is used so her employer can get hold of her when she is not home. This number is also not general knowledge.
We both have a range of about 200Km local calling.
If someone like family or friends want us they can leave a message on our voice mail, which we check when we are away.
Works great for us.

Old 01-08-2003, 09:55 PM   #10

Cell Phone Plans

If you really want to get confused about cell phone plans, read the new (Feb. 2003) issue of Consumer Reports, which has an ''in-depth'' study. The best advice I found in the articles was to "ask your friends and neighbors for their advice."

Old 01-09-2003, 07:51 AM   #11

Reply to Charles re Phone Cards

And misplaced, 'til now...

The same calling card, or similar, is also available at BJs. I just got one. I think it's 3.5 cent per minute. That's a good deal. The one from BJs is from MCI, however, not ATT.

Old 01-09-2003, 01:24 PM   #12

Being a FullTimer who doesn't usually hang out where there's cell service (typically population centers and interstate highways, which I am usually trying hard to avoid), and disliking the sound of ringing telephones (gee, do you think that might have something to do with a couple of my previous lives?), I do something different.

I have an account with an outfit in Atlanta called WorldLink (orginally I was on a Delta Airlines plan called DeltaTel). I have 1-800 numbers to call in (worldwide) and check for messages from coin phones; costs a fee to me for folks to leave voicemail for me to retrieve. I can then call thru WL to wherever. Charges go to my credit card (WL sends quarterly statement by snailmail). Works for me; friends and family have the 1-800 number so they know that when I come out of the woods (or find a coin phone in the woods), I will get my messages. Works fine for me!

Want to know more? Call 1-800-864-8000 and work your way thru the menu to a human (EhLanders call 1-800-864-7000, the Canadian access number-Service costs more up there, I presume).

Pete and Rats, no phones ringing in the Rollin' RatHaus

Old 01-09-2003, 07:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Orginally posted by Pete Dumbleton
Being a FullTimer who doesn't usually hang out where there's cell service (typically population centers and interstate highways, which I am usually trying hard to avoid), and disliking the sound of ringing telephones (gee, do you think that might have something to do with a couple of my previous lives?), I do something different.
Pete and Rats, no phones ringing in the Rollin' RatHaus
:o So Pete,
How are you getting on the Internet. You seem to have a lot of air time. What’s the trick?:wave

Old 01-10-2003, 01:37 AM   #14

beam me up scotty!

Satellite?