Moisture problems - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2020, 08:19 PM   #21

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead517 View Post
I couldn’t agree more. We use them in trailers, boats, cars that sit, closets that don’t have good air flow, etc. I have assumed that they break the water into its hydrogen and oxygen components. Sounds better than magic.
They just raise the temperature, which lowers relative humidity. They *do* work, but they depend on specific conditions. They can only lower humidity so much, because they're not actually removing water from the air.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:20 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead517 View Post
I have assumed that they break the water into its hydrogen and oxygen components. Sounds better than magic.

Carry on then.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:15 AM   #23

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
When the ambient temperature is going to be lower such as storing it in a cool weather area during the winter months then the dessicant dehumidifiers will work best.

One thing to remember about refrigerant dehumidifier units is the really don't function at their best until the ambient temperature is about 60 degrees. The coils get cold to make the moisture condense on them. But if the ambient temperature is not warm enough they can get so iced up that they no long function and air movement gets blocked. Unless you have a dehumidifier that has an active defrost cycle, those can still function as they can defrost the ice off the coils using that cycle.

So while an electric dehumidifier works nicely in your damp basement in your house where the ambient temperature is in the 60 degree or higher range they are not going to work properly inside a trailer when the temperature is in the freezing range of in the 30s, 40s and low 50s.

Explained in this article.
http://www.best-dehumidifier-choice....r-ices-up.html
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:42 PM   #24

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
Here is a photo of the solar powered boat vent that I’ve installed to manage the condensation. Since it is intended to be on a boat and in contact with splashing water, it has a wall to keep most exterior water out (on a trailer, you would have to be travelling in a driving rainstorm for it to be a problem). Since I seem to have a problem downloading photos, I will send this one now and go to find instructions on how to master multiple photos.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0242.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	134299
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 03:03 PM   #25

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
Here is the box that the unit came in for reference purposes.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0243.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	366.5 KB
ID:	134302
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote