Mold issues - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2015, 06:48 PM   #1

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16 foot
Michigan
Mold issues

We have a 2006 16 foot Scamp. When we allow the unit to sit unattended for a couple of months, we get mold and mildew from the floor to half way up the wall. The unit is tight with no water leaks. Anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions to remedy this problem? Thank you
inspector4933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:10 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
leave your vent open a little on the roof and a window cracked.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
After you've gone camping, turn your cushions on the skinny edge. Put a passive dehumidifer in the sink (in a container!). I'm amazed at the folks that don't take into consideration the amount of moisture that's added when camping....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:54 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Both Jim and Donna are correct. I bought my 13' new at the end of 2005 (it's registered as a 2006). The only time the trailer is sealed up is when it's under tow. I have a small window over the stove and the vent over bed/table. Both of those are open a bit. If the weather isn't too cold (close to freezing) at least two of the windows over the bed are open. I think it makes a difference, my trailer is stored under a steel canopy/car port.
When the weather gets cold, assuming I haven't headed for warmer weather, an electric heater and Dri-Z-Air are put into the trailer. So far I haven't stood the cushions on edge, but it's not a bad idea. Key to mildew and mold is two fold, dry air and air movement.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:24 AM   #5

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
If you have a dehumidifier inside, why leave the vent/window open? Doesn't that let in yet more humidity?
Old 07-30-2015, 06:50 AM   #6

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
On my rebuilt Scamp with the mini-split A/C I am planning on leaving the A/C on in dehumidifier mode while parked for just this purpose.
My Scamp will be fairly well sealed with all of the extraneous openings fiberglassed over and very little leakage (hopefully).
I think mold and mildew is one of the major dangers along with leakage from the rivets, windows and all of those holes cut for various reasons. If leakage occurs then the floor will rot and mildew and mold are guaranteed! I think that this is the problem with most unloved FGRVs.
I know it was with mine. Rebuilding this thing has been a real eye opener!
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:14 PM   #7

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16 foot
Michigan
Mold issues

Thank you for all the ideas to prevent mold. We will try to keep the air circulating.
inspector4933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:08 PM   #8

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
I am in humid New England. In spring, summer, and fall I keep a mini electric dehumidifier running in mine (Eva-Dry electric Petite model), prop cushions up on edge, open up all interior storage, cupboard, icebox, and closet doors, and close all exterior windows up tight. I have insulated reflective stuff up in the windows to try to mitigate temperature swings and condensation. During the winter when the dehumidifier would freeze I park it under a roof and close everything up tight and it's fine because the winter outside air is so dry to begin with. The first few winters I put a few tubs of Damp Rid in the camper but moisture doesn't seem to be a problem if I don't do that. If I had to park where there was no electricity in the spring/summer/fall I would use several tubs of Damp Rid and keep the windows shut. Just a different way of dealing with it I guess.
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp