Moldy smell - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2014, 07:28 PM   #1

Name: Joanna
Trailer: Don't know yet
Ontario
Smile Moldy smell

Hello,
I have a problem in my Goofy. since late summer this year I could smell mold in my trailer, whaich I call Goofy. I need help how to fix it. Is there anyone who could help me ? Any suggestions are very welcome.

Thank you - Joanna
Joanna Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 08:35 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
First, what year, make and model trailer you you have and have you had and leaks?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 09:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
If you update your profile to show what make and year your trailer is that might help.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:45 PM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Whatever the trailer, or its age, the smell of mold is a sign that somewhere there is a leak. Get down and sniff around, open the storage cubbies one at a time, feel for moisture and then figure where the source is. Then dry it out as well as you can, a blower and heat might help doing it. Of course, now is not the ideal time of the year (in your location), but opening all storage compartments will still help drying the trailer up. The first commandment of Travel Trailers is "Thou shalt keep your TT dry!"
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 01:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Paul your correct the first step is to look for a possible leakage by opening up the hatches looking for water stains as is looking on the underside of the trailer for water stains.... but thats not going to work on a trailer with a fiberglass bottom .

Knowing the brand of trailer and its age would sure cut down on the best guess responses as to where the OP might want to look for some of the more common leak locations as well as how to get rid of the smell once the source is found & fixed. For example some trailer brands have covered window weep holes that clog up - others don't have covered weep holes. Some trailer brands have lots of rivets others not many.

How one goes about getting rid of the smell once the cause of it is found with also vary between trailer brands and age as well. For example I would not wash down a Scamps rat fur with bleach and water ;-) but if I had a trailer that has elephant hide wall covering I would. Nor would not put the cushion covers on a 20 + year old trailer into the washing machine (would hand wash only) but I would on a newer trailer. ;-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:01 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
The other thing is, if you can't find a leak, the mold might be growing due to high humidity in a closed-up trailer. In this case, it's good to keep air circulation available with open jalousie windows if you have them, or if not, there's a product that will absorb moisture (I forget the name, maybe Damp-Rid? ...something like that).

Existing mold is best dealt with by cleaning/killing with bleach.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Try some Kanberra gel. Kanberra Gel - Home
It is expensive but it works.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:43 AM   #8

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
You didn't give us much to go on Joanna. It could be just mildew, or it could be a soggy floor. Mildew can be washed off with diluted bleach, then run a dehumidifier for a few days. If something is rotten, then you have to find and fix the leak, then the damage done.