More Trillium Water Damage (window) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2016, 10:25 PM   #1

Name: Matthew
Trailer: Trillium
Texas
More Trillium Water Damage (window)

Is this normal? or at least not abnormal?
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0317.jpg   DSCF0315.jpg  

DSCF0313.jpg  
Ironhinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:33 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhinge View Post
Is this normal? or at least not abnormal?
Yes it has happened on many trilliums including mine. Remove the screws from the window, carefully peel back the Ensolite , remove all the rotted wood and replace the wood with composit 1 x3 flat stock bevel the edge to duplicate the wood you removed hopefully you will have a big enough price to match , reinstall the screws using stainless and glue back the Ensolite . The new composit frame should now out last the trailer.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:03 AM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
More normal then you might think.

A composite frame makes sense, but I used 3/4" regular plywood, that I painted. I also did not glue the Ensloite back on.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:53 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
David,
Did you put some sort of framing around your windows on the inside to hold the ensolite in place? On my trailer the ensolite has tears in some of the corners, probably made the previous owner replacing the old wood frames. Then they covered the tears with 1.5 inch wide MDF moldings, brad nailed to the wood frames. Since my windows were not water tight, the MDF sucked water and the nails rusted... I removed all of this, but I'm left with those tears to cover and a bunch of tiny holes. Right now the plan is to use 1.5" aluminium strips to frame the windows on the inside, held with SS screws. I don't want to glue the Ensolite back either. Any ideas welcome!
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:36 PM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
No, I just shoved the Ensolite between the window and the wood frame that the screws go in. I think a nice wood frame would work though.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:07 PM   #6

I'n not really into woodworking, and I fear any moisture or condensation coming from the windows would affect a wood frame. That's why I have aluminum in mind. Also any wood would preferably have to match the "faux wood" of the cabinets. Not sure if I can achieve this.

Thanks!

Carl
(and sorry Matthews, I didn't mean to hijack your thread! I did encouter lots of rotten wood on my window frames as well. Typical of old Trilliums I would say.)
Old 02-10-2016, 07:04 PM   #7

Texas
oh no, not worried about a hijack. Just happy to have more info up on the web... anyway the secret point of this thread was to ask about mold behind the ensolite under the windows.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:06 PM   #8

Texas
I hated the idea of not knowing what other problems all this water caused and as I cleaned out the space between the ensolite and the walls I ended up really wanting to pull the ensolite...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0350.jpg   DSCF0323.jpg  

Old 02-10-2016, 07:09 PM   #9

Texas
quite a bit of the nastiest stuff cleaned up ok with bleach, other parts I sanded down because they needed patching anyway
Old 02-10-2016, 07:11 PM   #10

Example of yucky mold I found on my window frames:

Old 02-10-2016, 07:16 PM   #11

Texas
I did go a bit crazy over here, I wet sanded the whole wall and sealed the crack between the body and bench before I returned to my senses. also you can see the window frames I am experimenting with... they are lap jointed marine plywood
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0325.jpg   DSCF0349.jpg  

DSCF0334.jpg  
Old 02-10-2016, 07:17 PM   #12

Texas
oh yea, thats gross
Old 02-10-2016, 07:19 PM   #13

Texas
btw I think what caused my lapse of sanity was finding seeds and other leavings of some sort of living creature behind the ensolite... living in the belly band space?
Old 02-10-2016, 07:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhinge View Post
...living creature behind the ensolite... living in the belly band space?
Geez I hope my wife never reads this!!
She'll have me strip the trailer completely!!

My ensolite is still glued hard to the shell just about everywhere, I can't imagine anything living behind it. The belly band space: mine had this piece of open-cell foam just under the windows as a filler for that space. It sucked water coming from the window like a sponge for years, and was pretty disgusting when I discovered it. If there was any critters to be found, I think this would have been the perfect spot, but other than mold there was nothing alive there, nor anywhere else in the trailer. The -35deg winters we have here probably helps keeping the number of stowaways to a minimum!

Tags
trillium