Mounting motorcycle rack... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2010, 06:51 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Registry
I understand the argument about not adding weight and throwing off the load on my 13 foot Scamp but the fact is my T-Dub HAS to go camping with us....

The bike only weights 260 lbs...

I was thinking about mounting the bike rack to the frame and reinforcing the frame a little in the back... has anyone done this?
Attached Thumbnails
3.jpg   ST3401.jpg  

Joe Steadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 1987 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
We added a front receiver to our Ranger and carried our ten speeds in front. We had to slam on the brakes when a deer jumped in front of us. Now we have one ten speed made up of the salvage. If at all practical, I'd recommend the front receiver.
Jim Bago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
That's a lot of weight to be hanging off the back of your 13-foot trailer. I have no experience with those motorcycle racks, but I have followed vehicles that had motorcycles mounted on racks hanging off the tow hitches and they looked really wobbly whenever they went over bumps or dips on the road. Ideally you could put the motorcycle in the back of a pickup and then hookup your trailer.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:19 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
That's a lot of weight to be hanging off the back of your 13-foot trailer. I have no experience with those motorcycle racks, but I have followed vehicles that had motorcycles mounted on racks hanging off the tow hitches and they looked really wobbly whenever they went over bumps or dips on the road. Ideally you could put the motorcycle in the back of a pickup and then hookup your trailer.
No can do... we are a family or 7! We drive a large SUV....
Old 04-23-2010, 08:55 PM   #5

No way. Do not attempt this without major changes to the trailer. For starters, the frame is not going to stand up to this much weight hanging off the rear. Secondly, the balance of the trailer is going to be thrown off. Remember, you want 10% of the overall weight to be bearing on the hitch, or tongue.

The only way that I could see this being feasible is if you move the wheels towards the rear of the trailer for better balance. Of course, this would involve a lot of work. For the sake of the safety of everyone on the road, do not add this carrier to your trailer as-is.

ReilleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:55 PM   #6

Trailer: Hunter Compact II
I have one of those racks I use to carry my Yamaha XT225 Dual Sport when I have my camper shell on my Ranger pickup and I can tell you I feel the weight back there. The bike sits about 2 foot behind the hitch so that acts as a lever making the weight seem more. I can imagine it would really effect handling on a trailer by putting that on a hitch mount on the back. Unless you put 300-400 lbs on the front to balance it you are asking for trouble. If I need to carry the bike while towing my trailer I'm putting it in the back of truck where its not effecting my trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
04_19_10_155.jpg  
Mike Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Does the bike fit inside the trailer? 4 tie downs and you're set to go.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:39 AM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Does the bike fit inside the trailer? 4 tie downs and you're set to go.
Don't think so... will have to try.... but I am still leaning towards the bumper... no pun intended...
Old 04-24-2010, 10:41 AM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face

Quote:
No can do... we are a family or 7! We drive a large SUV....
A much better idea would be to lengthen the frame IN FRONT of the trailer to add a platform for the bike to ride on, in effect making it a 16' trailer. Here is a link to a post about a 16' trailer that was modified to be 19'.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:54 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If you've ever followed an egg on the road you'd see all the movement the back gyrates through. All that up/down and side-to-side would be transferred to the hitch mount and then right to the carrier. I can see a cracked frame in the future and perhaps the bike dumped as well. You'd really need to beef up the frame before the very first trip.

Getting a mountain bicycle might be a better idea?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
A much better idea would be to lengthen the frame IN FRONT of the trailer to add a platform for the bike to ride on, in effect making it a 16' trailer. Here is a link to a post about a 16' trailer that was modified to be 19'.

Click image for larger version

Name:	After_Flip.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	27673

The trailer referenced is ours (thanks, Frederick). A previous owner lengthened the frame to add a carrier for his scooter. The frame was strengthened to handle the weight. The trailer tracks and handles well. We use the rack for our bicycles or extra storage boxes.

Downside - moves the box back from the TV and creates a lot more drag. Our mileage is not very good. I'm looking into spoilers.....

Putting that much weight on the rear would not be a good idea - weight and balance are really critical when towing.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #12

Trailer: 73 Boler and 78 Biggar
Not sure on the size of bike you plan to haul ?
but these are mounted to the tow vehicle !

John J. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #13

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I suggest that you measure things and do the math.

Adding 260 lbs to the back means that you will have to add more than that much inside the trailer ahead of the axle to maintain a 10% hitch weight. And, when you look at the frame under a Scamp you will see why no amount of reinforcing, short of almost a new frame (meaning even more weight) will support your bike that will weigh about 600 lbs every time you hit a good bump.

In any event, adding another 260 lbs to a SCAMP torsion axle is yet another load to much...

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #14

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Whoever the O.P. was, he's probably solved his problem by now.

He asked the question back in 2010.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Whoever the O.P. was, he's probably solved his problem by now.

He asked the question back in 2010.

Francesca
Not only that, he hasn't been around for a quite a while: Last Activity: 04-01-2012 11:01 AM
Old 01-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #16

Trailer: 73 Boler and 78 Biggar
I am sorry for failing to note both the date of the post and his last activity , I was replying with what I and friends have done , for that I feel bad , attempting to contribute to the forum , something I will now think twice about doing in the future .
best regards.
John J. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #17

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Some people need to courteous enough to use the private message that's available to all of us.
It certainly would save new members embarrassment who haven't been around long enough to even see the message dates.

You have nothing to be sorry for John.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:49 AM   #18

Of course John you shouldn't feel bad. Any info that adds to the topic is always good. I was just pointing out that Joe hadn't been around for eight months to indicate no one should expect for him to respond.

Sometimes folks spend alot of time gathering and posting information and then (perhaps) feelings get hurt when the OP never bothers to say... thank you.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #19

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
Some people need to courteous enough to use the private message that's available to all of us.
It certainly would save new members embarrassment who haven't been around long enough to even see the message dates.

You have nothing to be sorry for John.
Well said, and I 100% agree.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #20

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Yep, as Donna is our list Sweetheart, I too am sure that no harsh words were intended. Besides that I answered it as well, meaning that I also have to look at post age dates.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote