Mounting my generator??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2006, 01:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft 1980 Burro
I've just received my new Honda EU2000i generator. As advertised, it is 47 pounds, but I never thought that 47 pounds was really so heavy. And when I add gasoline, it'll be a heavier still. To keep from lifting it into and out of the back of the car everytime I want to use it, I'm thinking of having a rack (or frame) welded to the top of the camper bumper on the left side and keeping it there permanently. (I would keep it covered when not running to protect it from the weather and cable locked to the frame.) I've done this for my battery on the right side of the bumper and it has worked well for years. Anyone have any experience with this or ideas you could offer? Does it sound like it would work? I don't think that weight would be a problem, as my tongue weight is way up there.

Also, what do you do when you want to run the generator for AC and it looks like rain is coming when you go to bed? (Instructions said to keep it dry.)

I sure would appreciate any of your ideas on this!

Bob
Bob Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 05:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Bob, I built a platform out of 3/4" marine plywood for the tongue of our Scamp. It's large enough to hold our EU3000, battery and dual tanks but tapers from rear to front to minimize any chance of interference when turning sharply. I use the standard tyvek cover that came with the unit for general transport. When parked and not in use, I'll throw a piece of vinyl from an old waterbed mattress over it as well. I use 1.5" schedule 40 pvc pipe to put together a frame, cover that with the vinyl and am good to go in the rain.

This is our second season and its worked well so far. I used a couple of pieces of 5/8" threaded rod bent to conform to the shape of the genset and covered with fuel line hose plus a masterlock cable lock to keep it secure. Here's a link to some pictures but you'll probably have to join the yahoo scamp group for access.

http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/sca...os/browse/c130

Let us know how you end up handling this.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Andy Earthman
Iwouldnt mount it on the bumper, I think it would be to bumpy going down the road. I always left mine in the back of the truck and ran it there. Sometime I would take it out and put it on the ground. Ive spend many a night at truck stops and have found a few nice mud flaps from trucks. I put one on the ground and one over the Honda. Even if its not looking like rain, I like to keep the morning dew off of it anyway. Those mudflaps are very thick, and they work great simply draping It over the unit.
Andy Earthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Al, that's a fine looking platform you built, and a great idea. What did you trim it with?

Pat

(Posting your pictures here for all to see, if you don't mind.)
Attached Thumbnails
Platform1.jpg   Platform2.jpg  

Platform3.jpg   Platform4.jpg  

Platform5.jpg  
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:55 PM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Kurt has quite the fancy schmancy and nice looking system for his.

His is propane powered, but hopefully he will post pics (again).
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:24 AM   #6

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Pat, thanks for the compliment and for posting the pictures. I'm a lot better at fabricating than I am at this web stuff. The trim is aluminum 3/4" channel available at Lowe's (and probably most other home center stores). Its similar in appearance to the belly band on the Scamp. I'd originally planned to enclose the genset in an expanded metal cage but this is working out so well that I'll leave eveything as you see it.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator