Mr. Heater Buddy - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2016, 04:18 PM   #1

Name: Deedee
Trailer: Boler
California
Mr. Heater Buddy

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1453587465.239024.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	92025

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Tommytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 04:28 PM   #2

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
I am gonna ssume this is "ventless", meaning it burns propane and dumps the water vapor, along with the heat, inside the camper.

From our experience, these small units, with sleeping people emitting so much water vapor the the windows fog and the rivets sweat as it is, I do not see how this doesn't compound the vapor problem even more. I run a similar unit (larger) in my shop building and after a day the windows are all sweated up and you can "feel" the moisture and vapor when you enter the shop.

Thus? I just don't know. If it uses propane and is ventless? It'd not be for me. YMMV
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 04:30 PM   #3

Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quebec
I'm not able to find the indoor safe version anywhere. Do you have a link to that one?
Uncle Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 04:39 PM   #4

California
Amazon shows it
Old 01-23-2016, 04:41 PM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I have one. But I can't really comment on it yet as I haven't had to use it. I bought it after a power outage as I wanted some way to warm my indoor space during the day. I would never sleep with it on and have CO detectors (with backup batteries) so am not particularly worried about it being ventless- besides which we go in and out enough during the day to vent a small heater.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:11 PM   #6

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
We have one. It works well. The condensation is not that bad. We don't leave it on while we are asleep and only use it when we don't have power for the electric.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:15 PM   #7

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Our second grandaughter's husband gave me one of the 4K-9K btu, Mr Heater 'Buddy' units for B'day or Christmas some years ago. It set in the box for a few years then 3-4 years ago we used it at a teardrop gathering near the end of October. Didn't use it in the teardrop; had a '1st Up' shelter with side curtains & the heater kept it warm during a very rainy, cold weekend in north Louisiana. Mine has a totally different packaging than the one shown but it definitely says on the box 'Indoor Safe Propane Heater'. Pretty sure I'd not use it inside our Casita unless it was super cold outside & we had no hook-ups (normally use a small Broan brand electric ceramic heater since we have no furnace in the trailer) [heat strip in the AC but we prefer the Broan]. Until my old diesel truck was wrecked a little more'n a year ago, I had a Wave3 catalytic heater permanently mounted in my truck camper. It worked great during the day/evening & for early morning warm-up but I never slept with it 'on'. Somehow I just can't trust an unvented heater inside unless I'm 'monitoring' it... I have a new Wave 3 still in the box that I've considered mounting permanently in my Scamp 13 when I finish 're-habbing' it, again for day/evening use only.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:29 PM   #8

California
Amazon has more than 1000 reviews. You can get a good sense of how and where people have used this heater. Safety issues. What works and what doesn't. **(Moving golf cart not recommended) :-)
Old 01-23-2016, 06:36 PM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
... I have a new Wave 3 still in the box that I've considered mounting permanently in my Scamp 13 when I finish 're-habbing' it, again for day/evening use only.
I have the Wave 3 also and the challenge (for it and similar heaters) is to find an acceptable place to put it.

Per the Wave 3 manual:
Clearances from combustible materials must be a minimum of:
4" from each side
4" from the floor (rug, tile, etc.)
18" from the top
30" from the top
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:48 PM   #10

Name: Bill
Trailer: Burro 1983 13'
Wisconsin
I use mine on a regular basis. It gets cold here in Wisconsin!
I do sleep with mine BUT I open the window on the door And run my vent fan
AND have a CO2 detector AND a smoke detector. It has worked well for me so far and I am still here for now. Haven't had a condensation problem.
Have used it down into twenties. I boondock and run the fan off my battery that I charge with solar. If you do sleep with it on PLEASE be over cautious as I at least think I am! Run it off my 20# tank.
Burro Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:55 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
They pulled 4 guys out of an ice fishing house last week in Northern Minnesota. One died ,one is in the hospital and two survived . The cause , a similar unvented propane heater . I own a Mr Buddy heater
but I do not use it in a confined area. To each their own but I would rather be cold and alive then warm and dead.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:10 PM   #12

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
I used a Mr Buddy heater while boondocking. I did not have it on while sleeping and had the roof vent cracked open. The heater works well and we survived. I'll use it again if no power is available.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:26 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Sylvio,
You will not find an indoor-safe Buddy heater in Canada. These units have not been approved for indoor use in Canada. The same units are approved for indoor use in the States with proper ventilation (except in MA if I remember right, different state laws).
It's the exact same unit north and south of the border, but different labeling and user manuals due to different laws.

Not all non-vented heater are equal. Many heater types have been tested and compared by the United States Consumer Safety Commission. They have published two VERY interesting documents that can be downloaded:
https://www.cpsc.gov...103975/CO02.pdf
https://www.cpsc.gov...103972/CO03.pdf

Please take time to read them, you will find how much more safe the Oxygen Depletion Sensor-equipped heaters like Buddy heaters are. Results are totally different for ODS units, as for CO emissions. You will also find why some types of heaters are downright dangerous, and can kill you in no time.

This being said, I have a Big Buddy, I always use a CO detector, never sleep with the heater ON, and never had any issue.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:48 PM   #14

Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quebec
Thanks Tommy. The "safe for indoor use" got my attention... I don't have a back up heating system in case the power goes out for a long time. I'm interested in reading about it. The price is reasonable, much cheaper than installing a wood stove for such occasions (that have never happened to us but have for other people during the 1998 ice-rain storm). Using it to keep the water lines from freezing and destroying the house might be a plus. I would certainly open one or two windows and leave the different detectors on if I was to stay in the house.

As far as camping goes, I was told here to use the propane heater in my Boler or a ceramic heater. Two good options in my opinion.
Uncle Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote