Musing from a new Scamp owner - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2016, 08:45 PM   #21

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
All good info but now I am ever so paranoid about my 2016 Scamp which is due be deivered day after toorrow!
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:09 AM   #22

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
An update on my previous musings:

Leak number four came from the small gap in the lockstrip at the bottom of the front window (where the lockstip starts/stops). The water infiltrated here and ran onto the area where the wood support for the sofa backrest is glassed in. No doubt it would rot the wood if left unrepaired. I wonder if the gap is supposed to be on the bottom or top. Seems to me it would be better on the top since any leak would then show up as water coming down the plexiglass. Please let me know if you have a recent vintage Scamp with the lockstrip gap at the top.
We have a 1982 13 foot Scamp and the little gap is also on the bottom. Is it a weep hole? Is it supposed to be there? Ours leaks if we drive into a rainstorm (we don't have a window guard) but neither the front or rear has leaked during a storm if we are parked and camping. I put a small towel on the bunk ledge while towing, so if it rains, it doesn't run down the ledge, but I wonder if it matters if I just plug it?
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:59 AM   #23

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
2016 Std.

My wife and I picked up our new 13 Std. on 3-30-16.

We then drove in the rain to Minot, N.D. We caught (3) snows before we got home. We camped comfort in sub freezing weather. In that weather, we much prefer the furnace over an electric heater. So far, everything works as it should.

We ordered a big bed rear hitch, furnace, Fantastic fan, extra lights, vinyl floor, back splash, and A/C. What we didn't order were things that might cause more leaks: front window and rock shield and 3 way refrig.

On our 13' in cold weather would leak lots of cold air into the cabin through the refrigerator vents. We have read about new camper leak water thru the refrigerator vents.
BobH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:24 PM   #24

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
On my rebuild of a 1985 Scamp 16' with many modifications I have had one problem finding a leak that runs into my new closet area in front of the door.
I have narrowed it down to the mating surface top and bottom that would be covered by the belly band trim.
Where these come together the inside is glassed from the inside, but not the outside lips.
On my trailer with the strip removed for cleaning ans sanding the bad paint off the water has run over the top half and run between there and the bottom.
This seems to run into a void and to a hole somewhere near the door jam.
I tool a skill saw and cut a kerf along this divide and filled the nearest few feet with epoxy sealant. This slowed the lead to where I did not see it when I sprayed water from a hose in the area, but last night's heavy rain did leak.
I am planning to extend the kerf all the way around the seam and fill with a PU sealant.
I think that what is happening is the water runs over the top lip and runs into the space between the two. If the space is filled then the water should run over both and the down the outside of the trailer.
Of course it the trim extrusion is installed and caulked on the top the water will run off the bottom and not into the camper.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:17 PM   #25

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH. View Post
... What we didn't order were things that might cause more leaks: front window and rock shield and 3 way refrig.

On our 13' in cold weather would leak lots of cold air into the cabin through the refrigerator vents. We have read about new camper leak water thru the refrigerator vents.
I had Scamp skip the curtain rod holders to avoid the many holes it would create (and yet I still had four leaks) so I agree with the idea to minimize the number of holes. But I had to have a fridge (the bigger 2 way in fact).

We have had a lot of discussion about water in the lower fridge vent. I had some water at first but lately it has been fine. No idea why its been good as of late. Different people have tried different solutions and has mixed results. It is another area that one needs to check periodically.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:31 PM   #26

Name: Gwendolyn
Washington
We got our new scamp delivered and have just returned from our first trip. We really like the size and simplicity of it and the light weight. However, we too are disappointed with so many quality control issues. I agree it is the least expensive fiberglass out there but I still don't think there should be so many issues on a brand new item. Inexpensive as it may be relatively it still does cost many thousands of dollars. Due to a death in the family we were unable to pick it up and had to have it delivered.

We had requested not to have the plastic "stinky slinky" mounted on the front but it came mounted anyway. Not much we could do about that after the fact. Oh well.

Escape hatch cover is warped and does not close properly.

Extra light in front outside facing the hitch is completely corroded and does not turn on.

Front door doesn't seal properly and the inside of door is dirty from water entering on the long haul out from backus.

One of the plastic stove knobs is broken.

The stove itself is warped and sags in the middle front.

One of the burners is crooked.

And the two knobs stick up at different heights and not straight up but at a bit of an angle. Don't know if these stoves are just poorly made or if they should be more uniform in appearance (other than the broken knob of course.)

We ordered the back splash and half way through caulking it someone must have gotten distracted because the caulking goes half way across and then they never finished the job.

The white refrigerator panel was only half way on.

Seams on linoleum only partially caulked leaving gaps for water to get in.

We chose this model because we really wanted something small and light weight but not a teardrop. We are happy with that part. But we are disappointed with there being so many things that need fixing right away. I wonder if the employees are just not treated all that well so perhaps do not care about doing the job well. I find it hard to recommend this brand when so much is wrong.
gtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:21 AM   #27

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
We also had more than our fair share of workmanship/construction faults with out 2016 we picked up in November past.

1. The door was very ill-fitted, hinges cockeyed as well. If tightened enough for better fitment, it was impossible to shut. If loose enough to shut (with very firm pressure) the gaps allowed light, air and water to invade.

2. Rat fur seam strips were sloppy.

3. It had a noticeable flaw in the gelcoat on the curb side. Eye sore.

4. Many pieces of edging was missing where drawer and door cut outs were made in the fiberglass cabinetry.

However, there were no leaks of rain from seams, windows or rivets, which was all very good. The refrigerator grills do not leak and performed very well.

The biggest mistake of all was a missing tube connecting the city water. Imagine our surprise upon hooking up to city water and powering it up for the first time down in Texas this winter and discovering that!!! To Eveland's credit, Micah shipped the tube and couplers directly to our RV park and I installed the missing pieces.

So, the Scamp performed well enough for our winter snowbirding adventure and we sold the trailer upon our return home. It got the job done, but the over all quality control was very spotty at best.

We've ordered a new 16' and we will not be rushed at pick up this fall. We will also not be taking the trailer anywhere until we've gone over it as best we can. You cannot discover all the faults during pickup, but this time, we've no intention of leaving until we are satisfied.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:55 AM   #28

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Water and wood floors don't mix well. Plenty of entryway rot in the forum archives, Best of luck. So much for the new Scamp door seal.

"bpfick
The door was very ill-fitted, the gaps allowed light, air and water to invade.

gtaylor
Front door doesn't seal properly and the inside of door is dirty from water entering"
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:45 AM   #29

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
So sad to read about the poor quality of these new Scamps. Just a matter of no quality control inspections at the factory. Which is management's fault.

Sounds a lot like the poor quality of american autos before the Japanese autos arrived.

I feel sorry for the buyers of new Scamps who expected better.

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:35 AM   #30

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I have been working to seal my 1985 project 16' Scamp.
I am pretty much done except for a persistent leak in front of the door in the new closet area.
I can't blame Scamp since the thing is 30 years old, but the floors were all rotten for some time.
My leak (I think) is coming due to an incompletely sealed belly band interior fiberglass job.
I think the water runs over the top half of the outside lip and over and around and into the crevice between the halves. I think there is a channel that runs to the front side of the door and then inside from there.
My plan is to cut a groove or kerf with a skill saw that I can reliably seal with some polyurethane caulking all the way around.
It water is trapped in this area in winter it would expand and perhaps open a crack into the inside again.
With the aluminum band it place and caulked on the top surface then the water would not run in either and this would be a secondary protection after the sealing.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:56 AM   #31

Name: Kenji
Arizona
Registry
Having never purchased a new Scamp before it is quite sad to hear that the quality is either slipping, or was in-fact, never there. I wouldn't base that judgement on my 1986 Scamp trailer as I cannot even tell if the bathroom is stock or not.

I used to assume any issues were result of age and prior owners damaging things. Now I am not so sure, and I might even believe that my "shower" was stock.
I used to recommend Scamp (yes, rather blindly I guess) and I will no longer do that based on your feedback. I will stick with recommending egg campers since I lived right near where they are made. I have seen them, and know they are decent.

I guess this is what happens when you have arguably the most recognized name in fiberglass trailers. :/ Without good competition (and by that I mean a LOT of competition, not just quality) they just don't need to give a rats @$$.

I've long recognized that Casita trailers are higher quality just by looking at them from a distance of 20 feet at local storage lots. I didn't know that such little things like the application of sealants were done so poorly on Scamps though. Very sad.

At least you can easily fix all of those sorts of things yourself, and the base trailer will in-fact last you a lifetime with good care. The main value is still there.

Thanks for sharing this information with us.
KenjiFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:06 PM   #32

Michigan
Kenji

We toured the Casita plant this winter while in TX. I have to say I'm not quite as convinced about the supposed superior quality level to Scamp. Far more similarity than differences.

We'd love to spend some time pawing over an Escape, but alas, the distance to BC makes considering buying one a pipe dream and their backlog is even worse than Evelands. I chalk most of this stuff up to the mom 'n pop nature of these small companies. If you see where these are made, just the barebones facilities and how they're made, you'd likely better appreciate how technologically speaking, they are lightyears removed from the complexity of the auto industry.

These little campers just are what they are. Campers.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:15 PM   #33

Arizona
Registry
Yeah I have never ever stepped foot inside of a Casita, so I can't say with any kind of factual certainty that it is better. My observation from the outside has always given me an impression of higher quality though. Even something as simple as the molded in wheel wells is higher quality than the hang over cut out edges with trim applied that Scamp does. I see this also with the molded in location for the water heater to keep it level. Scamp just whacks a hole in the side and makes no attempt to level it at all. Those outer appearance things are what I based my comment on. I actually don't know the truth. Quality posts like those from the OP of this thread are how I can know more about trailers and other things I don't own. I appreciate it greatly.
In saying I recognized it, I literally meant that as in it looked like it to me. Not so much that it's an actual fact. I love all fiberglass trailers. I wish I did have the experience in owning them all!
Old 04-14-2016, 12:16 PM   #34

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Others can call escape they will put you in touch with hopefully a model to look at on your area. Their referral service.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:22 PM   #35

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Others can call escape they will put you in touch with hopefully a model to look at on your area. Their referral service.
Not to go too far off topic, but Escape's decision to go bigger and bigger has also sorta put them off our radar, to be honest about it.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:25 PM   #36

Arizona
Registry
Oh while this topic is up and active, does anyone know if Scamp, at one point it time, DIDN'T use a molded fiberglass part for the base of the front shower?

On my 16 deluxe the front shower almost seems to me like someone converted it from the front dry bathroom option TO a shower. It has no molded fiberglass floor pan at all.
It had the 10 gal ceramic toilet, and it had the front sink. The shower itself is made up of a false floor installed over the main floor level drop down. This sandwiched a P trap inside. There was no grey water pump. Thin flat fiberglass panels were placed over top of all of the extra false flooring. Flooring which was even under the toilet and had over a 1" gap between it and the main floor boards! These panels were sealed together with insane amounts of white silicone. the entire surround for the "shower" is insulite, yet the trailer has the marine carpet everywhere else. Including the ceiling in the bathroom. Which has no vent.

Wood screws were driven right through the front of the trailer into the false floor bits to hold them in place. It was absolutely terrible. Water ran through a green hose into the tank. Well, it WOULD if the trailer were tilted backwards. No pump, and no check valve means that every time I hit the breaks the "shower" would flood with gray water.
Since it didn't seal AT ALL, the whole front end of the trailer would be pouring that out from every crack when observed from outside.

That's all gone now, but wow it confused me. Surely this isn't Scamps doing?
Old 04-14-2016, 12:28 PM   #37

Arizona
Registry
Oh and the wood screws from the outside did have snapcaps on them and looked normal. The wood parts that fit together to build the shower pan had writing in marker on the underside that said "SKAMPERLAND" just like my water tank. This points at it being original, but holy heck batman, was this made poorly.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:29 PM   #38

Michigan
I am quite sure that somewhere, someplace, is a litany of similar errors and shortcomings on all the various FGRV makers, to various degrees. I seriously doubt that folks find any of them to be delivered in perfect, flawless condition. Perhaps I'm wrong, I've been wrong before.

If Scamp's quality was bad enough to completely turn us off we wouldn't have ordered another one. I guess we're either reckless or realistic about what one should expect from these tiny little manufacturing companies. With 30-35 floor workers, they turn out 400 units, hand built each year. They are what they are. Can/should they do better? Oh, I'm sure they should and I suspect they care pretty deeply about staying on top their game. They just don't always execute the game plan sometimes.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:07 PM   #39

Arizona
Registry
you're a very kind and understanding person. I do think that they should hire just ONE more person then. Make it 31-36 and have that person inspect each trailer carefully before it goes out. This should include making a rain "room"(can just be a frame made of PVC with holes in it hooked to a garden hose. Nothing even close to expensive.) to blast it with water and observe from the inside for leaks. But that's just me I guess.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:31 PM   #40

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenjiFox View Post
.... No pump, and no check valve means that every time I hit the breaks the "shower" would flood with gray water.
Since it didn't seal AT ALL, the whole front end of the trailer would be pouring that out from every crack when observed from outside.
That's easily solved by putting the stopper in the shower pan in preparation of towing. My 1988 is the same way. Easy/peasy and no mess.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp