MWHAHAH....found it..*photo* - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2010, 02:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 77 Scamp
*deep calming breath*
SO went out in the pouring rain, what better time to see where she's leaking at. The back window had the standard leak thing going on...but holy buckets of water...that's okay I can deal with that one. Then the leak below the side window along the belly band. I think at one point and time that side of the trailer was compromised or the factory workers were drinking that day when they did the fiberglass. Got photos for you lovers of "how to". Pulled back the ensolite....sat with a flashlight to see where water would weep in...no obvious holes just water kinda creeping in. Did the repair....now for the leak behind the stove/fridge. I suspect its the same belly band issue and I "may" just pull back the belly band on a dry day and inject epoxy along the two sandwiched pieces...that seems to be where the weeping occurs...

now for the photos
Attached Thumbnails
scamp_leak_001.jpg   scamp_leak_001.jpg  

Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Way to go.... Perseverance pays off..... Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Good sleuthing!

Filling the leak spots with epoxy might do the trick, but given that you've had more than one leak in the belly band area (as you say, maybe it was Friday afternoon; maybe the trainee did yours, or whatever), I think I would repair it with epoxy resin and fiberglass reinforcement. In other words, saturate some epoxy cloth with resin and apply that to the belly band area (prepping and etc. of course).

You can cut your own strips, or you can buy pre-made tape, which eliminates the "stray hair" problems at the edges.

It's a bit more work to prep and carry out, but the thing is that "plain" epoxy is really rather brittle on its own. And who wants to find *more* leaks in future

On the other hand, if you are going to use "plain" epoxy without cloth, you might consider thickening it to make it stronger (there are various thickeners, such as collodial silica, fibers, etc.)

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
OR.....You could move to Arizona.

Today was definitely a good day for checking for leaks in the PNW.

Dave
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 1977 Boler (Orange Sunrise 'Clementine')
Registry
Congratulations! Once those are all cleared up, I bet I can provide you with more good leak projects to solve!
Amy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 77 Scamp
I hope your having better luck........as you know scamp doors always open if ya wanna come see a trailer in "the raw".....might keep it this way for several more weeks to see if any other mysteries pop up

Quote:
Congratulations! Once those are all cleared up, I bet I can provide you with more good leak projects to solve!
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:59 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler
OK I did the same thing as my leak came back from last year, its smaller but it's there...... SO I went out in the pouring rain and sat in my egg.... All I could hear was drip, drip, drip, drip like taunting japanese torture! Can't find it. I do think this is the summer I will redo the seal on the side windows (that's were the problem was before) BUT OMG I am going to go insane!!!!!! Good on you for finding your leak!!!!

What are you putting the Ensolite back up with? I bought some 3M stuff but it wasn't strong enough.

MIA
Mia R is offline   Reply With Quote