My Bigfoot has a mouse! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2023, 02:11 PM   #1

Name: Susan
Trailer: Bigfoot
Ontario
My Bigfoot has a mouse!

I have an '89 Bigfoot Goucho. When I bought it last year, I found evidence of a mouse in the drawer and underneath by the wheelwell.

I cleaned it completely and all was good until we pulled the cover off this year. Same spot! No evidence of a dead mouse, we had put down mouse poison. No where else.<_<

I thought maybe the furnace because it's above the drawer but pulled the inside and outside covers off and no evidence of a mouse.

Anyone got any suggestions?

I did notice the hot vent outside doesn't have a cover and was wondering if it was supposed too.
Susan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 08:48 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
Grandpa Gus mouse repellent seems to work well
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 06:16 AM   #3

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: ex-Casita, now Alto R series
Massachusetts
To what inaccessible-to-you location will it crawl off to die and decompose?
I'd put out a trap: Quicker for the mouse, easier to remove and dispose before it rots somewhere else, no opportunity for it to get out and be eaten by a raptor thus poisioning the raptor as well.

Place the snap trap on a dish so that the critter's final #1 and #2 movements aren't on the camper floor.
Old 04-25-2023, 07:47 AM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
We are heading east, through Ontario, to the Maritimes this summer and we could get our Lee to give the trailer a "Cat Scan" on the way through.
Attached Thumbnails
341885346_1026402685412533_3288876493524725445_n.jpg  
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 07:48 AM   #5

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon MB View Post
To what inaccessible-to-you location will it crawl off to die and decompose?
I'd put out a trap: Quicker for the mouse, easier to remove and dispose before it rots somewhere else, no opportunity for it to get out and be eaten by a raptor thus poisioning the raptor as well.
Place the snap trap on a dish so that the critter's final #1 and #2 movements aren't on the camper floor.
Nothing worse than the smell of a rotting mouse in an unaccessible location. That smell can stay for months.

Found out that just sticky traps can be dragged by the mouse to stick to something you don't want it stuck. If the sticky trap box is made correctly they can't wander after being caught, instead, it dies inside the box, so no messy cleanup afterwards.

Both our Scamp 16' and Casita 17' had small entry holes and we caught a mouse occasionally. Never had a mouse in our 2018 Escape 5.0, nor our 2003 Bigfoot. Both these campers have tight construction.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 08:26 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
First you need to find how they are getting in. You might post over on the Casita forum. In cars, they almost always get in through the ventilation system. Many Scamp owners report the shore power access is a entry for both mice and insects. Stainless steel dish scrubbers make good barriers for the space around pipes that go through the floor like your water tank drain.

If you have one mouse, you most likely have many. Forget soap and dryer sheets. The most reliable way is snap traps baited with peanut butter. If you go a week without catching any, you've probably solved you problem. Do forget to look for nests especially in places where they could catch fire like your furnace.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 10:08 AM   #7

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
I agree with Raz.....trap and PB.....I have an old Honda parked in a carport......I had mice camped in the trunk and in the car.......I set four traps with PB.....caught 5 mice in two days.......I was very happy.....the mice....not so much! Good luck.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 05:28 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I have never had mice an any of my egg campers but have in some of the larger stick built ones ... a mouse can fit through a hole about the size of a dime ... find the hole and fix it as Raz says.
Mice left alone in the winter can eat your wires as the coating may contain peanut oils.
I have see this in some campers and even house wires and an old truck I only use once a year, when I do my firewood.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 05:57 PM   #9

Name: Susan
Trailer: Bigfoot
Ontario
Beautiful cat!
Susan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 10:38 AM   #10

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Mice and rats can be very destructive and annoying.....in that sense.....they're kinda like politicians!
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 11:30 AM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Taylor Coach 17 ft
Not in MY so-called stick built

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
I have never had mice an any of my egg campers but have in some of the larger stick built ones ... a mouse can fit through a hole about the size of a dime ... find the hole and fix it as Raz says.
Mice left alone in the winter can eat your wires as the coating may contain peanut oils.
I have see this in some campers and even house wires and an old truck I only use once a year, when I do my firewood.
I know what you mean by the “quality” of construction of many (most?) other trailers, but not my Taylor Coach - mouse free, spider free, and practically bug free except those that flew in the door. Just saying.
Cheers John
John McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 04:17 PM   #12

Name: Melissa
Trailer: In the market
TN
Possible help??

We purchased these little screens that seemed to have helped. We also found that the cover aided the mouse to have a better way to climb. Wd removed the cover but ours is protected by a roof, still.

Hope it works!!

Melissa T
Melissa T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot