my door is falling off - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-18-2021, 05:40 PM   #1

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
my door is falling off

The upper hinge on the entry door of my 2019 Scamp 13' is cracked and needs to be replaced. I just ordered the parts. Hopefully they will arrive soon. I can really use some advice. Has anybody done this?

I assume that I should do the job with the door open and supported from the bottom. Any ideas on how to keep it from moving? I'd hate to crack the lower hinge or worse mess up the fiberglass down there. Can I use the old spacers? Do I need to rig the door so it will close? Any thoughts on doing that? Do I need to replace both hinges or can I just do the one that is cracked? Any words of wisdom on removing and replacing a door hinge would also be appreciated.

Thanks much.
Attached Thumbnails
door hinge 1.jpg   door hinge 2.jpg  

Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:42 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
New hinges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony D View Post
The upper hinge on the entry door of my 2019 Scamp 13' is cracked and needs to be replaced. I just ordered the parts. Hopefully they will arrive soon. I can really use some advice. Has anybody done this?

Thanks much.
Odd that no one has replied. There were several reports of this when the new door first came out. The new hinge kit says that it is steel and that spacers may need to be trimmed. I have never done it but I would keep the door shut and maybe even add some temporary tape to hold it in place. Be sure to make the install water tight with a sealant. You do not want the screws to rust and fall out in 10 years. Hopefully the holes match up, and also check to see if there is a top and bottom hinge or if they are both the same. And yes I would change both.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:21 PM   #3

Ohio
AC0GV, thanks for the reply. Good input on weather proofing the bolts. I have a question into Scamp regarding door open or door closed for the repair. Iíll share what they say. I just wonder about the load on the hinge when the door is closed. It would definitely be easier to keep it still with it closed.
Old 10-24-2021, 09:09 AM   #4

Ohio
Done

Well the door hinge replacement is done. The new hinges look a bit different and are heavier. Hopefully they last. Scamp provided four different length bolts, washers, and acorn nuts. We used the new hardware and the multiple bolt lengths were needed. My wife and I were able to do the removal and install together. Scamp advised us to remove the door side first which makes sense and is important. They said door open or closed was a choice and both would work.

Four steps describe what we did. 1) removed hinge nuts from door side allowing the door to hang on the bolts until ready to take the door away from the camper. 2) removed the old hinges (only one of which was cracked) from the camper side. 3) attached the new hinges to the camper side. We used the old spacers since they looked good and were the right height. The back side was in the forward cabinets so I bought new self locking nuts. They were the same type used originally. Obviously I used a washer on each bolt. 4) attached the door loosely to the upper and lower hinge. We used the new spacer but the old ones looked fine. They were the same part. This is where a third person would have been nice. We pressed the door against the camper at the door opening and worked it to the proper height. Then put the bolts in. We had to carefully open the door to put on the washers and nuts. Youíll have to reverse direction of the two forward bolts on each hinge because the overlap of the camper fiberglass interferes with the nuts. We used some blue locktight on these bolt ends. Also we used two washers where necessary to keep the acorn nut from bottoming out. We did all the work with the door open except where noted.

I just thought Iíd share what we did. The door is on now and it opens and closes well. Winterizing next. Looking forward to spring.
Old 11-19-2021, 01:09 PM   #5

Name: rj
Trailer: Owner of a 16' fixer and fixed up 13'
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony D View Post
Well the door hinge replacement is done. The new hinges look a bit different and are heavier. Hopefully they last. Scamp provided four different length bolts, washers, and acorn nuts. We used the new hardware and the multiple bolt lengths were needed. My wife and I were able to do the removal and install together. Scamp advised us to remove the door side first which makes sense and is important. They said door open or closed was a choice and both would work.

Four steps describe what we did. 1) removed hinge nuts from door side allowing the door to hang on the bolts until ready to take the door away from the camper. 2) removed the old hinges (only one of which was cracked) from the camper side. 3) attached the new hinges to the camper side. We used the old spacers since they looked good and were the right height. The back side was in the forward cabinets so I bought new self locking nuts. They were the same type used originally. Obviously I used a washer on each bolt. 4) attached the door loosely to the upper and lower hinge. We used the new spacer but the old ones looked fine. They were the same part. This is where a third person would have been nice. We pressed the door against the camper at the door opening and worked it to the proper height. Then put the bolts in. We had to carefully open the door to put on the washers and nuts. Youíll have to reverse direction of the two forward bolts on each hinge because the overlap of the camper fiberglass interferes with the nuts. We used some blue locktight on these bolt ends. Also we used two washers where necessary to keep the acorn nut from bottoming out. We did all the work with the door open except where noted.

I just thought Iíd share what we did. The door is on now and it opens and closes well. Winterizing next. Looking forward to spring.

Nice work.

I was wondering if the spacers are just like a heavy rubber, or plastic.

Also if using spacers would at all be useful for an old style hinge?
funkgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 04:38 PM   #6

Ohio
The spacers where hard plastic. The ones provided looked to be the same part that was there originally. I would have had to grind or cut down one to align the door properly, so I just used the old spacers.
Old 11-21-2021, 01:06 AM   #7

Name: rj
Trailer: Owner of a 16' fixer and fixed up 13'
Colorado
Thanks, was wondering.
funkgun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fall