My refrigerator behaves like a freezer! - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-18-2020, 10:10 AM   #1

Name: Heather
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
My refrigerator behaves like a freezer!

I purchased a Scamp last summer it came with a 3 way fridge. When I use it in propane mode it freezers our food. Iíve tried turning it down, but I canít seem to turn it down low enough. Suggestions?
Hsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:40 AM   #2

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
On many of those three ways, the temp is controlled by the position of the gas valve control. The big knob with the numbers controls only AC operation.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 01:41 PM   #3
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
I have a dometic 2193 which is a model Scamp uses in some of it's trailer. If I camp in ambient temperatures below 50į I sometimes find my salad vegetables will have frost damage even on low. On nights like that I turn the fridge off right before bed and back on in the morning.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 02:02 PM   #4

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
I agree, the outside temperature matters so much to these temperamental fridges, we'd need to know what the temps are when you're using your fridge. I've had the same issues as Raz. If the temperatures are only in the 60s or 70s during the day, and as low as the 40s at night, my fridge will freeze food overnight. I turn it off before bed. The trick is remembering to turn it back on...
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:47 PM   #5

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
Refrigerator Temp

The refrigerator temperature dial setting in the trailer is different than you home refrigerator. The home refrigerator temperature setting tells the refrigerator what temperature you want it to maintain.

The refrigerator temperature setting in the trailer only regulates the amount of energy, (IE, gas or electricity) to use. The refrigerator inside temperature varies with the outside temperature. If the refrigerator side of the trailer is in full sun the temperature inside the refrigerator will be higher than if the that side of the trailer is in full shade. The outside temperature effects the temperature inside the frig.
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 03:35 PM   #6

Oregon
Thanks
Old 03-21-2020, 03:36 PM   #7

Oregon
Really? So if I turn down the propane output, it will help regulate the fridge? Thanks
Old 03-21-2020, 03:37 PM   #8

Oregon
Thank you.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:00 PM   #9

Montana
Registry
No- I'm not sure what models Lynn is talking about, but she definitely didn't mean to use the knob at the propane tank to control flow. Those need to be either fully open or fully closed.

I have heard that on DC operation, there is no adjustment. It's either on or off, because it's really not meant to run long term on DC. It's just a "band-aid" to get you from home to camp, so the temperature dial does nothing. You should be able to control your fridge on propane with the fridge temp dial.

I'd be really interested to know what the outside temps were when your fridge froze your food.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:38 PM   #10

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
Our '06 Scamp has a #2193 three way fridge. Only one heat source should be used at a time.

Operation is as follows:

12 Volt is either on or off. No temp control.

110 AC has a numbered temp control knob that maintains a difference between inside and ambient. Hotter outside may require a higher setting.

Propane has a control knob that adjusts the size of the flame only. It does not change unless you move the knob. Make adjustments accordingly. Hot outside requires high. The AC knob with the numbers has no affect on propane operation.

With experience, the milk stays fresh, the beer stays cold, and the lettuce doesn't freeze.

(Mr.)Lynn
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:04 AM   #11

Montana
Registry
Sorry (Mr.) Lynn. I did make a quick attempt to make sure I got your gender right but didn't really want to get hung up on it for long

My fridge is a DM2301, and the single temp dial controls both AC and LP.

Either way, for Heather there's going to be something on the front of the fridge, inside the camper, to control LP level. You won't need to go outside and move some hidden valve somewhere, unless the fridge designer was feeling really mean that day.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:12 AM   #12

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
No- I'm not sure what models Lynn is talking about, but she definitely didn't mean to use the knob at the propane tank to control flow. Those need to be either fully open or fully closed.

I have heard that on DC operation, there is no adjustment. It's either on or off, because it's really not meant to run long term on DC. It's just a "band-aid" to get you from home to camp, so the temperature dial does nothing. You should be able to control your fridge on propane with the fridge temp dial.

I'd be really interested to know what the outside temps were when your fridge froze your food.
We were camping at Wallowa Lake with daytime temps around 70 and night temps in the 50s
Old 03-23-2020, 11:32 AM   #13

Montana
Registry
Interesting. That's pretty much the sweet spot for my fridge. But if you've got yours on "Max" or whatever your temp dial uses, that'll do it. You'll almost always want to turn the fridge down every night.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:02 PM   #14

Oregon
Thank you!
Old 03-23-2020, 01:18 PM   #15

Montana
Registry
Good luck! Nothing about the fridge is simple, really. It's a constant balancing act and learning how it reacts to different temperatures and situations as you go, sometimes losing food to freezing, sometimes to spoiling. You'll get it dialed in eventually as you learn how low to turn it overnight depending on forecasted temps, etc. Just be happy to have the problem of freezing, rather than not cooling well enough!

I'll admit I've been pretty upset on more than a couple mornings when all the greens I just bought the day before are frozen solid, and most of them turn to mush as soon as they thaw.

Tags
refrigerator