My Scamp Mystery - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2016, 09:26 PM   #1

Name: Miriam
Trailer: Scamp
California
Registry
My Scamp Mystery

I'm looking for insights on the original intent and construction of my front bunk area.

This is a very bare bones 2002 13' Scamp. The front bunks are different than all others that I have seen. As you can see in there photos, I don't have a fiberglass bench. The space under the lower bunk is wide open. The supports for the top bunk are different and reversed from other models with the poles on the window side and two other brackets on the interior. The top bunk itself is a piece of wood that is clearly handmade. A previous owner had it out in the weather and it is moldy and rotting so I didn't put it in. I will just use it as a template.

I really like the layout. I love that the entire area under the bench is open. A previous owner had a board that they put across the opening to secure during towing. With the poles on the inside it is easier to get in and out of the bottom bunk.

So what do you think? I saw one photo in the "gallery" of a 1989 scamp with a factory "blank space" up front. I wonder if mine started out this way and someone alone the line added these bunks. Any insights would be appreciated.

o Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1456024590.520189.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	92699Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1456024612.114312.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	92700
Name:   ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1456024628.904107.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  9.3 KB
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1456024645.930760.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	92702

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Ruralredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:00 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Well, at first I thought it was a front dinette mod but there doesn't seem to be seats. Perhaps a place to sleep for a third child or a place for the family pet?
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:41 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Interesting... I think you're right, though. Looks like it was built that way- empty in the front. It's missing the under-window ledge that normally supports the factory upper bunk and the fiberglass lip along the front shell that would support the lower bench. The rat fur appears to be original and undisturbed.

The filler section with vinyl (that spot was originally intended as a recessed storage compartment for a porta-potty under the front bench) and the bunk platform were clearly added by a previous owner. But if you like it, it works for you, and you are confident that the upper platform is adequately supported, then you're good to go. The top bunk is pretty low, but I still would probably want to rig up a safety rail if one of the kids is going to sleep there.

And if you find later you want to do something different with that space, there're lots of ingenious ideas and creative folks on this forum.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:03 AM   #4

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
I see a portion of the floor where a previous owner, perhaps, also installed a laminate type flooring. No doubt this was all custom work. Did the previous owner(s) order this without the front fiberglass seat/bunk option, knowing this is what they were going to do? Or, did someone remove a front privacy room?

There may not be any way of knowing but for sure this unit is useable as it is presently or open for a new and different customization. Enjoy.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:03 AM   #5

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
We met a couple last year with a fairly new Scamp 13 they had ordered without anything up front. They wanted a front dinette in a standard 13 and being a handy fellow he bought his Scamp bare in the front and did the mod himself on their new rig.

As is demonstrated time and again on this forum, never say never when a Scamp is concerned.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp