My turn to cry... water woes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2006, 03:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 78 Scamp 13 ft
I have made a TON of progress on our old Scamp! Have the cabinet doors painted, next I want to stencil them... The interior all cleaned and the curtain brackets cleaned and painted, instead of replacing them right now. They look good. I made them silver.

The water tank lines looked full of crud.. YUCK. I mentioned to hubby- instead of merely cleaning them, lets just put in brand new..... But I wanted to test the water tank and faucet pump.

TWO bad things!!! One is that the water tank IS leaking itself. Someone must have left water in it over the winter. And the empty valve won't shut off totally either- it drips at a pretty good rate. So- It's take the entire tank out and see if I can repair the leak at all. But it'll need a new drainage valve.

THEN I tested the sink pump faucet. Works like a charm........... BUT............ and this is factory original...... the faucet opening isn't postioned OVER the sink bowl- rather it is right over the EDGE of the sink! Therefore, at the end of EACH pump, when the water is just dropping straight down from the faucet- the water of course, goes all over the countertop. I cannot keep a towel there all the time- what a pain in the neck!!!! Hubby said- well first we will think of some way to merely extend that faucet so it makes it to the sink bowl before you talk me into major overhauling!

I ordered new exterior rivet covers, and both the fresh water cap/filler thingy and the electric cord entrance from Scamp today, since all those things are a bit shabby.

I'm in a big hurry, I want to USE it and right away!!!!
Deb in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 03:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Just toss the yucked up water system. Clean out some empty milk bottles and use them on your first trip. There; immediate problem solved.

When you get back, contemplate thoroughly about how much better your life would really be if you actually had a first-rate, up-town water system in your Scamp.

You may come to the conclusion, as we have, that the a couple of 6-gallon plastic water cans and several milk bottles (we use olive oil bottles because they are thicker) work out better than the permanent system. There are several advantages, one of them being that they rarely fail due to electrical problems.

You see, it is perfectly OK to do things a little different when on vacation than when at home. In fact, isn't that what a vacation is all about?
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 04:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
What with all the steps needed to clean that water tank, we just use it for washing. It's only 8 gallons anyway, and bring bottles of water from home or buy water if we forget ( which happens). I figure our systems are used to home water anyway, why chance it?

Even when we have city water hookups we usually won't drink it. ( why ruin a good time?)
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 04:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 78 Scamp 13 ft
hahaha! I made hubby check it out- he says YES the drainage valve is leaking- but he says that the inlet pipe is leaking around where it attaches to the tank, not the tank itself!! The tube to the faucet is "easy" to replace he said. I want to go to Camping World soon!

We DO have a huge 5 gallon camping container we have used in the past- maybe that IS still a good idea! Yes- even in our pop-up we had a city water hook up! Maybe I will eventually make hubby put in one in this Egg!!

It's looking so good right now! I can't wait to show everyone the "nearly-finished" Egg.... the new seat covers are going to have to wait for a while- but it's going to look so cute with the new curtain and paint job.
Deb in MN is offline   Reply With Quote