mystery cardboard box under dinette seat 16' casita '93 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2007, 07:55 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
we're still going thru the trailer to figure things out. In the right rear corner under the dinette seat, there is the water pump, then battery, then a large mystery heavy cardboard box with a copper fitting and hose coming out of it. The fresh water tank is under the opposite seat.

without getting a utility knife and ripping the box open, does anyone know what's in there? I noticed the the box totally seals what ever is in there when I was shop vac'g it today.

the original manual doesn't say where things are. Would love an original layout of the trailer mechanicals and schematic.
tracy.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 07:58 PM   #2

i just thought about it - I bet it's the hw heater! near the pump and I don't know where the water heater would be otherwise.

safe to rip off the cardboard to inspect? we could retrofit a styrofoam cover for it or plastic, etc.

anything serviceable in there?
Old 07-22-2007, 09:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 2000 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe ('Millenium Eggloo')
Hi Tracy, just let sleeping dogs lie with that one!. The water heater is one of those things that if it is working then it is just fine. More important with the water heater is to remove the anode rod from the outside of the trailer and flush the tank at least once a year. If the anode rod is seriously corroded then replace it, usually less than $15.

If you need more details on flushing the tank, just reply in this thread and there will be someone jump in.
Charlie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:04 AM   #4
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
About the anode rod: Although your Casita isn't as old as mine, the anode rod on mine is different. Mine is on the inside with a drain on the outside. Since you have the cardboard, if you have an anode on the inside it will be marked as such.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:18 AM   #5

Quote:
i just thought about it - I bet it's the hw heater! near the pump and I don't know where the water heater would be otherwise.

safe to rip off the cardboard to inspect? we could retrofit a styrofoam cover for it or plastic, etc.

anything serviceable in there?
thx lee. i appreciate your wisdom :-) we're still going thru the thing now and haven't tried the hw yet. we're dealing with trailer lights (prob ground) and a warped door first.

it's a great little project camper though. I bought it off a referral ad here by greg.a

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=25113

cheap enough to invest the time and some money for what it needs. We're just so unfamiliar with them, but we'll learn.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Hi Tracy, just let sleeping dogs lie with that one!. The water heater is one of those things that if it is working then it is just fine. More important with the water heater is to remove the anode rod from the outside of the trailer and flush the tank at least once a year. If the anode rod is seriously corroded then replace it, usually less than $15.

If you need more details on flushing the tank, just reply in this thread and there will be someone jump in.
thx for that info suz. the box sits between the 2 access holes under the seats and it's hard to see what's going on. the brass fitting I was was on the interior side and all the rest was box. we'll check it out from the outside and see what's there.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:28 AM   #7
Suz

Registry
Quote:
thx for that info suz. the box sits between the 2 access holes under the seats and it's hard to see what's going on. the brass fitting I was was on the interior side and all the rest was box. we'll check it out from the outside and see what's there.
Yours is probably new enough that it's on the outside. Mine is four years older that yours so it's different. At the time I got it, this forum didn't exist and most of the other Casita owners had newer trailers so they weren't aware of the way mine was. Just thought I'd mention it, just in case.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:30 AM   #8
Suz

Registry
By the way, the seats come out very easily with just a few screws. Takes a square head driver to remove the screws. There are a few on the top and, perhaps, on the inside bottom front.
Attached Thumbnails
bypassedit.JPG  
Old 07-23-2007, 10:39 AM   #9

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Thanks, Suz, that's good to know.

I replaced my battery and before I went in to buy it I measured up the battery box and got the biggest thing that would fit in it. I was aftraid that the new one wasn't going to fit when I went to put it in, but after some twisting and turning I managed to sneak it in. I bet it weighs nearly twice what the old one did!

On the subject of that bench, is the converter also mounted to it, and if so is there enough spare wire to pull the bench out far enough to see what's going on?

I haven't found my fuse box for the 12V system yet, if there is one... I also see that there is a cable TV jack beside the 120V outlet near the converter, but I don't know where the other end of the coax is (if there's anything hooked to it to begin with!).
Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:58 PM   #10

Quote:
By the way, the seats come out very easily with just a few screws. Takes a square head driver to remove the screws. There are a few on the top and, perhaps, on the inside bottom front.
NICE! thank you so much Suz! i didn't know the fiberglass seats came out. cool. much easier to work on.

i can see we'll need a battery box for the battery that's in there. it's a Continental Terminator bought in '04

You must have really learned alot when you got yours, not having a forum to ask questions.

i went thru the trailer and wrote down all visible model #'s and the outside vent covers, and serviceable locations today. that will help me alot to get acquainted with it and try to find grill replacements.

thanks again!

Tags
casita