N.A.D.A. Pricing Information Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2008, 05:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot 17 ft ('The Sea Glass')
We just bought a 1986 Bigfoot 17, and now it's time to call the insurance company to see if it's worth insuring. I know I can't get what I paid for it in case it is totalled, but I need to present the highest legitimate value possible.

On the NADA Page, my choices for the Bigfoot 17 are the M-17 DLX, the M-17 SW, or the M-17 STD. I am assuming that the DLX stands for Deluxe, and STD stands for standard.

Do any of you know what SW stands for? Also, How do you know which model you have (since they all have wood interiors, this is not as easy as it would be for a Scamp).

Thanks for any insights you can give me!
Toni M T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:30 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Be sure you keep all the original purchase papers.

NADA is only an approximation of value and sadly they don't keep up with used values of fiberglass trailers very well. This would be especially true if you have 'replacement value' insurance.

I'd call Bigfeets and ask them -- I'm sure they know the answer to this because they will have furnished the 'new' info.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Toni, you may also want to cruise the For Sale forum, and Referrals for information on approximate information regarding same year and type of trailer when they sold and for what price. Take that info with you to the insurance company.

FYI: I only carry comprehensive on my trailer... it's securely parked at my home, and covered under my TUG insurance when under way. I don't carry any special insurance.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:40 AM   #4

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
I approached this subject here on the board in the past. After rebuilding and customizing our 88-16 Scamp we wanted to insure the camper for a reasonable value that would make sense to do it again if something should happen. After searching for the right insurance company we found that Allied insurance was willing to cover the camper with an agreed value for total replacement for around 130 a year. The agreed value was around double what we paid, and relatively close to what we have invested in the project. It wasn't about getting out what we had in, just a peace of mind that if we had to, we would be able to go through it again without the out of pocket expense. Allied wanted copies of receipts for the rebuild and a copy of the initial purchase or registration paperwork.

good luck with your insurance company.
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:38 AM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
When Buying: NADA quotes the eggs so low that you should only use their figure when purchasing one. Key in the info and print the quote and show it to the seller if their selling price is over the NADA quote.

When selling: If it is brought up by the buyer, state that the NADA quote can not be trusted because most eggs are sold between private parties, not dealers, therefore the National Automotive Dealers Association (NADA) has insufficient data to backup their quote.

Insurance wise, check with The Good Sam Club Insurance people.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote