Need a new Frame :-( - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2009, 03:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Boler (Corneleus)
Well, we bit the bullet today and are looking at neeeding a completely new frame. We weren't given much info on it and it looked like it was only rust we could cleanand paint over. But having raised the coach up and taking a proper look there are some very thinned out spots and some serious cracks that go on both sides. Hubby says it looks like it took some sort of an impact.

SO we are now needing a new frame for our poor Corneleus. WE have access to weld up a new one and are thinking that is probably the best route but does anyone have an idea of how much it will cost and what type of materials should we be using?

Also, since we are redoing the frame, suggestions on improvements and strengthing are appreciated.

Cheers,

URsula
ursulap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
If you go a 2 x4 rather than 1.5 x 3" frame you can really beef it up. That allows for some 1" tubes to cross under the floor where the door is. 2nd advantage is that you can swap the axle at the same time. With the 3" high snowmobile bracket lifts on a dexter axle, you can easily switch to a trailing arm configuration with brakes.

If you taking the body off the frame, this might be a good time to closely inspect the floor and replace that if needed. Other options are do you need to notch the floor at the front to do a good front dinette mod? this would be a good time.

IOW, plan. If you can patch things up long enough to get to a couple of meets or time to search the forums for what you want to do, you won't be kicking yourself for not doing something you might have been able to. Did I say RESEARCH & PLAN?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I thought I'd help look for topics on replacing a Boler frame. The most recent was posted by Jayson Wall back in May and surprisingly there wasn't any replies! Perhaps the topic dropped down too quickly off the viewing page At anyrate here it is, notice the information regarding using a tent trailer frame: Change my Boler frame
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:04 PM   #4

we are totally redoing the work from the ground up. About the only thing now that is in excellent repair are the tires. They were brand new and still had the nobby things on them. We know we will be sinking some major dollars into this as we plan on having it FOREVER

The plan thus far is to get the frame done again. Our bro-in-law is going to help us weld up a new frame from the old one. We had anticipated only repairing but after careful inspection today, we aren't going to waste ours or his time by having to do it again in a few years, if not sooner.

the floors are going to have to be replaced for sure which means separating the outside from them as it seems we have about 2" worth of fibreglass all the way around.

Our frame, we think is the style that has the rise at the front benching around the kitchen area and through the dinette area. If we are remaking the frame do we need to stick to this format or can we have a flat base to allow for a little more head room and/or storage space?? I have also seen a lot fo people adding some extra clearance to the frame and floor. Is that an easy fix or does it require some serious manipulation and welding skills?

I have searched the forums here and we will for sure be reinforcing the door area, the mid section and potentially extending out the back to add a toy box for the kids.

So glad we found this out now and not when we were out with the kids. Pretty scary to see the shape it is in when told it only had to have the rust cleaned up. Yikes

If anyone else has any advice to offer or recommendations for strengthening, improving we are all ears. Hopefully we will get it done for the beginning of August, but it all depends upon when we can get together with the brother in law.

If any one has plans for this that would help a bunch as I can e-mail them to my brother in aw and we can figure outwhat we need material wise so we know what we are looking at cost wise.

Cheers everyone

Ursula
Old 07-05-2009, 08:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
Here's an option if you know someone going that way.

http://kamloops.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-...QAdIdZ130438764
kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Here's an option if you know someone going that way.

http://kamloops.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-...QAdIdZ130438764
I did e-mail them and hope to get a reply back as that would be probably a cheaper fix. I would have no problem going from here to get it. Be an adventure trip for me and the kids
Old 07-05-2009, 08:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 1978 Boler 1700
We did the frame on our Trillium back in Feb. Pretty straight forward. We tied in the frame rails to the existing A-Frame front section. This consisted of two lengths of tubing down each side as the one overlaps the other at the axle and then new cross members. Also replaced the axle with an electric brake style. My friend is an excellent fabricator welder and we had it done in about four nights. The material cost us about $250. here in Ontario. Also added a battery box and changed the couple to a 2" at the same time. New propane line and wiring while the shell was off. Really nice to have the use of a hoist to do this. Got some 1" wide foam from Home Depot (30" roll was just long enough to do side rails and cross members).
Attached Thumbnails
Old_Frame_2A.jpg   Trailer_Frame_2A.jpg  

Trailer_Frame_3A.jpg   Trailer_Frame_4A.jpg  

Don N is offline   Reply With Quote